F5E - More Stuttering around 3d scenery than other FF Modules - Is there a fix or solution?

Using the free trial of the F5E to see if I want to purchase and I notice that there is a noticeable increase in stuttering in the F5E versus my other FF modules, specifically comparing against the A10, F16 and F18 in and around the Vegas Metro area.

I know the F5E is an old outdated module, maybe this is contributing to less than comparable performance on my machine, but does anyone know if there are any fixes other than decreasing visual settings?

Thanks

• Rig Specs: Win11, 12900k@3.9-5.2, RTX4080, 64G DDR5@4800, Quest3@4800x2600 (Oculus Link Cable On Link, no VR tweaks)
  • DCS World: MT 2.9 with CPU Core #8 Disabled
  • Module Proficiency: F-15C, A-10CII, F-16C,
  • Modules Owned NOT Proficient: The rest of FC3, F-18C
  • Terrain Owned: NTTR, DCS World Included Maps

Interesting. Is it also the case in 2D? Please re-test with the frame time indicator in view (cycle using RCtrl+Pause) and screenshots in appropriate points in time. Or do the comparative runs in short succession with MSI Afterburner frame time graph enabled.

Comparative CapFrameX set wouldn't hurt.

Could you please also cycle between

mirrors / no mirrors (M)

external / internal view

?

15 hours ago, Bucic said:

Interesting. Is it also the case in 2D? Please re-test with the frame time indicator in view (cycle using RCtrl+Pause) and screenshots in appropriate points in time. Or do the comparative runs in short succession with MSI Afterburner frame time graph enabled.

Comparative CapFrameX set wouldn't hurt.

Could you please also cycle between

mirrors / no mirrors (M)

external / internal view

?

I could do all of that, but why?    

• Rig Specs: Win11, 12900k@3.9-5.2, RTX4080, 64G DDR5@4800, Quest3@4800x2600 (Oculus Link Cable On Link, no VR tweaks)

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Bucic said:

It's a standard set if information (minus the CapeframeX maybe) useful for anyone who'd like to help you directly or investigate.

First, I would like to know if anyone else is getting the same increased stuttering in the F5E cockpit, in VR, over Vegas, when compared to the modules I mentioned.  

I don't mind going down a rabbit hole, but only if it will help.  I could simply just not purchase the F5E if I am not happy with the way it runs on my system.  

Edited by Buzz313th

14 hours ago, Buzz313th said:

First, I would like to know if anyone else is getting the same increased stuttering in the F5E cockpit, in VR, over Vegas, when compared to the modules I mentioned.  

I don't mind going down a rabbit hole, but only if it will help.  I could simply just not purchase the F5E if I am not happy with the way it runs on my system.  

Measuring frame times for 60 seconds with a built in tool is far from going into holes 🙂

On 1/5/2024 at 2:45 PM, VZ_342 said:

I have and fly the F5 and F-16, and all maps. I haven't seen any stutters for these since 2.9 came out. Low level or high, all is good. FPS is between 60-90.

Are you on VR?

On 1/6/2024 at 3:16 AM, Bucic said:

Measuring frame times for 60 seconds with a built in tool is far from going into holes 🙂

My frame time and metrics are good.  It is simply the micro stutters that is the problem.  

Would you mind changing the affinity of DCS.exe to exclude the core 0 and test? I'm curious if that may help you.

It helps me a lot with micro-stutters, to the point I can tell when I forgot to do it. But it's not a module specific thing. But still, worth a try I think.

BTW, assuming MT.

Edited by average_pilot
Extra info
  • Like 2

On 1/15/2024 at 4:28 AM, average_pilot said:

Would you mind changing the affinity of DCS.exe to exclude the core 0 and test? I'm curious if that may help you.

It helps me a lot with micro-stutters, to the point I can tell when I forgot to do it. But it's not a module specific thing. But still, worth a try I think.

BTW, assuming MT.

I already disable core #8 and it fixes the longer stutters.  Been doing that for months now.  

The micro stutters I am talking about in the F5E are very short and more of a high frequency staccato that I see when over high density scenery.  I can generate this with all my other modules just by turning up graphics setting to max and increasing resolution.  My point is that for me, the F5E while in cockpit in VR does it where my other FF modules do not. 

My trial for the F5E timed out and I made the decision not to purchase, even though I would in the future if the F5E got an update.  I'm going to guess that the asset geometry and textures in the F5E cockpit have not been optimized for modern rendering techniques and is just a bit more taxing on the system in VR than the newer modules.

Cheers  

• Like 1

Just now, Bucic said:

Do you still have some track files? Could you upload them, please?

A track file would not show what I am talking about, since the track file only includes the the flight parameters for your computer to render.  and a video would be a bad representation of the test.

And...

I do not have any track files for the F5E and my trial timed out for it...  But I can recreate the same scenery ground staccato I am talking about, with my other modules.  I would just need to increase the graphical load, then fly over vegas looking at the 3d scenery.  It is the same thing I would see in the F5E.

If you have VR then I'm sure you can recreate what I'm talking about..  Here are the steps...

1. Pick a high density scenery with lots of 3d buildings

2. Pick a full fidelity module

3. Fly over the scenery at around 5k agl and look out the side of the canopy centering your view on the 3d buildings.

4. slowly roll the aircraft left and right as you're looking at the 3d buildings

5. You should see the terrain move in a high frequency staccato (Not smooth)

6. If you don't see it, then increase graphics quality, scenery density and LOD distance until you do.  If maxed out, then increase resolution of HMD and try again.

7. At some point the rendering engine will come to it's knees and you will see what I'm explaining.

30 minutes ago, Bucic said:

Do you still have some track files? Could you upload them, please?

I sent you a DM.

Maybe I can be more helpful.

6 hours ago, Buzz313th said:

A track file would not show what I am talking about, since the track file only includes the the flight parameters for your computer to render.  and a video would be a bad representation of the test.

On that specific note - track files are generally required by the devs and testers for a bug report to be "officially registered." You may get away with some missing info but "track file with mods disabled" is usually a must. Some testers have bug reporting rules in their signatures.

• 2 months later...

I saw some very minor stutters over Caucusus last night, but it didn't seem very often or regular, and I didn't notice it the majority of the time. I'll try Vegas and see what it does.

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."

I noticed this as well. I’ve got everything tuned to where flight/motion  is silky smooth in every aircraft I own, even flying low over big cities( Sinai excluded) through valleys with nothing but trees in view, up close and personal. But in the f-5e, and it alone, I get “microstutters” while banking, turning slow and rolling. Even in Caucuses while not flying NOE. 

• Like 1

Intel i7 13700k, ASUS  rog strix z790A, 64gigs G.Skill Trident DDR5 @6400Mhz, Nvidia  RTX 4080FE, 2x 2TB Samsung M.2 NVME, 2x 1TB Samsung SSD,  Corsair RM1000x, Corsair h100i 240mm cooler, Lian Li LanCool 3, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate, VKB STECS , MFG Crosswinds, Track IR5, 48” LG UltraGear OLED & HP 24” touchscreen for Helios, Streamdeck XL, DCS-UFC App, Corsair Virtuoso RGB Headphones