FXD WNGSPN beyond maximum

The FXD WNGSPN (in the AAS submenu) maximum is apparently 99 feet. Is there any aerial gunning tricks when the wingspan is bigger (e.g. TU-95) than the funnel can hold? Set it for the distance between engines? fuselage width?

I tried setting it for 84 feet, and using the outer engines as funnel-guides, and results were pretty poor. Probably a reflection on me as an aerial gunner, though.

DCS World_20240110_230025_R.jpg

Pimax Crystal, Asus ProArt X670E-Creator, Ryzen 7950X3D, 64gb DDR5, RTX 4090 FE, Magic Trackpad 3, Warthog HOTAS, Warthog Throttle and TPR pedals.

That's a good idea, but you're not going to hit the TU-95 there anyways (you're still lagging behind) 🙂 The general idea with the funnel is to use it as a vague guide for distance, then pull through the target while firing, so precision with the wingspan isn't really in the cards

Edited by jaylw314
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pyrocumulous said:

The FXD WNGSPN (in the AAS submenu) maximum is apparently 99 feet. Is there any aerial gunning tricks when the wingspan is bigger (e.g. TU-95) than the funnel can hold? Set it for the distance between engines? fuselage width?

I tried setting it for 84 feet, and using the outer engines as funnel-guides, and results were pretty poor. Probably a reflection on me as an aerial gunner, though.

DCS World_20240110_230025_R.jpg

There aren't any tricks for this because the HUD is just not intended for this kind of target. For something this size and incapable of maneuvering you should just get behind it and use the AMIL to blast it. There's no reason you can't easily be within the 0-1 aspect for an AMIL shot. It's such a big target that it should be fairly simple to shoot it while it's max performing it's turn at 1.3 Gs and 25 degrees of bank.

Also, the funnel is meant for a shot from 1-6 AA. In this screenshot here you're more like a 8-8 aspect aspect and you should actually be using the MRGS. 

Additionally, unless you are flying around over their home base it's unlikely to every see a bomber like that at your altitude in an A-10. The funnel is meant specifically for fighter or helo type aircraft.

1 hour ago, ASAP said:

Additionally, unless you are flying around over their home base it's unlikely to every see a bomber like that at your altitude in an A-10.

Right, it would never realistically occur like this, but in Operation Agile Spear campaign there is a mission where the CAP is apparently too busy with another priority meanwhile there's like 10 Tu-95 and An-26 aircraft loitering around the airbase.

Pimax Crystal, Asus ProArt X670E-Creator, Ryzen 7950X3D, 64gb DDR5, RTX 4090 FE, Magic Trackpad 3, Warthog HOTAS, Warthog Throttle and TPR pedals.

12 minutes ago, Pyrocumulous said:

Right, it would never realistically occur like this, but in Operation Agile Spear campaign there is a mission where the CAP is apparently too busy with another priority meanwhile there's like 10 Tu-95 and An-26 aircraft loitering around the airbase.

I think I remember just waiting until one landed and then nailing them on the runway, with the additional benefit of blocking the runway 🙂  Might be thinking of a different campaign, though

1 hour ago, ASAP said:

The funnel is meant specifically for fighter or helo type aircraft.

In fairness, you're not going to get that kind of low-aspect, tracking shot on an MiG-29 either 🤣

Edited by jaylw314
  • Like 1