Infantry gets permanently stuck when opposed in uneven terrain

Go to solution Solved by J-man,

A force of elite infantry gets permanently stuck when attacking an inferior average force in uneven terrain with hills and vegetation:

On flat ground, they advance while covering each other and destroy the smaller force with only minor casualties. Here is a mission and track showing this:

WorksOnFlatGround.miz

WorksOnFlatGround.trk

Now the same setup but on hills with tropical vegetation. When only told to advance to the next waypoint, they sometimes manage ok and sometimes get stuck in treelines or behind the crest of a hill. They then remain permanently stuck there and never advance further. Sometimes they will kneel next to an enemy without engaging each other while other times, they run past the enemy and get killed by a single enemy. When the AI has the order to attack the enemy group instead of just walking to the next WP, they often get stuck after killing the first hostile, while inching towards the next hostile in smaller and smaller steps, but never reaching the engagement point. This means that even if set to immortal, the infantry does not reliably engage the enemy or move to the next WP. I tried disabling dispersion but going by some other posts, that is also broken right now.

It looks like they have trouble getting a line of sight to the enemy and remain suppressed indefinitely. If the player kills the hostiles, this sometimes causes the infantry to dislodge and move up until they encounter the next enemy.

I don´t know how well the replay system captures the AI behaviour since, as far as I know, it only records player inputs. So here are a few different missions and screenshots showcasing the issues. Just run them a few times.

StuckOnHillsAndVeg.miz Test2.miz Test3.miz 

StuckOnHillsAndVeg.trk StuckOnHillsAndVegVersion2.trk StuckOnHillsAndVegVersion3.trk StuckOnHillsAndVeg4.trk 

Here are a few images of what I´m talking about:

20240114124557_1.jpg

Half ran past the hostiles and got shot without firing back while the other half was camping behind the hill and waited there indefinitely.

image.jpeg

When told to attack the blue group, they kill the first enemy at the treeline and then get stuck there. There is no movement even at 100x time factor.

20240114125916_1.jpg

When encountering some hostiles, a part of the group gets stuck there to engage them in a staring contest while the rest moves on just to get stuck in the same situation further down the island. As a result, the large group diffuses into small groups and would take large losses were they not set to immortal in this image. This scenario too showed no movement even at 50x time factor.

Edited by J-man

• J-man changed the title to Infantry gets permanently stuck when opposed in uneven terrain
  • 4 weeks later...

To be able to watch the tracks, I must know which map are you using

What goes up, must come down !

Intel Core i7-8700, 16 GB-RAM, Nvidia GTX 1060, 6 GB GDDR5, 1TB HDD, 500 GB 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD, Windows 10/64, A10-C, Rhino X55, Persian Golf, F/A-18 Hornet

19 minutes ago, ex81 said:

To be able to watch the tracks, I must know which map are you using

Download the .miz/.trk file, open the .miz/.trk file with Winrar or similar and open the theater.lua file inside. It will tell you which map inside there.

As an alternative, you can assume, based on the screenshots provided, that it's on Marianas.

Edited by razo+r

• 2 weeks later...
  • Solution

This appears to have been fixed with the most recent update. Now the troops maintain formation and don´t get stuck behind hills anymore. They somewhat spread out when going through thick forested areas but they now always recover and catch back up with the leading unit. No more eternal suppression and no more getting-stuck-while-standing-inside-each-other. 👍

• Thanks 1