'Engine Degraded' with WEP usage

Cool-Hand

The Bug: After engaging WEP I get a sudden engine surge of RPM followed by an uncontrolled rise in oil temperature corresponding with the failure "Engine Degraded." Sometimes under the documented 5 minute WEP usage limit, sometimes 38 minutes later with cruise power set for no apparent reason. Both cases with all temps in acceptable ranges. This occurs in air starts and cold starts after properly warming up. Online and Offline it occurs.

Test Method: The most repeatable test I can come up with is by use of active pause to quickly test different variables. I spawn let the needles stabilize add power.

This happens without active pause as well but this way seems more stable for a video. I used the Caucus map freeflight mission since it starts at the top of the hour and makes timing easier with the ingame clock. I am attaching a video of roughly 3 mins in length of a failure approximately occurring 3:04. The same track used to record the video will be attached as well.

The video and track below show temperatures in the the green arcs and WEP usage and failure around the 3:04 mark in the video. I have played the track twice on my system and plays out the same way everytime.There was very little input so I hope the active pause does not corrupt the track. I have longer ones to document failures randomly later on but I felt the shorter the better most likely.

I have tested this down to two causes repeatedly: in the green arc,slightly higher than minimum, but well below the redline oil temperatures and over the redline turbo temps. This results in either  engine degraded or engine overheat failure, seemingly the same thing and interchangeable.  The really puzzling part is that it is very random. I can abuse the engine for 15 mins WEP sometimes and fly until the fuel runs out or the engine will die sometime from 0 to 38 minutes after setting a cruise or low power setting for no apparent reason. At times like this I won't even get 5 mins of WEP out of the engine before I get an "Engine Degraded" Failure.

Another finding, setting oil shutter to full open seems to save the engine.  1 out of 4 times I left the shutter open did I have an engine degraded after 33 minutes of cruise power and appropriate temperatures for the engine, usually after closing the shutters to keep the temperature from going too low is when the failure occurs. I'm not sure that over cooling damage is modelled for the P-47. I have many hours in DCS on it and can not recall a time that it has happened. The only downside to leaving the shutters open in the drag penalty.

@NineLine

@Yo-Yo

Engine Degraded test 3 min death.trk

Edited by Cool-Hand
Grammar
  • Thanks 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

just out of curiosity you are locking the water button or using a mapped button that will stay in a depressed state. edit i can see you are

thats interesting as myself or squad mates dont get that issue. also i very rarely have to have the oil cooler fully open

also could you please share how you did that cockpit photo

Edited by Brigg

Yeah in the D-30 and 40 just a button to engage the WEP.

Well to keep the temp in the green I usually don't have to open the coolers fully either but that's when I get the issue with the Engine Degraded after I use WEP. Like I say if I leave them full open for whatever reason I have less of a chance of the engine failing me 20+ mins later cruising around. if I don't...well the video I posted shows what happens.

I edited one of the files that has the dash textures and put in saved games and load a custom cockpit through the game options. There are easier ways but this way it doesn't break integrity check online.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Engine Degraded 3 min WEP degraded 50 mins later.trk

Here is a more extreme track. This is the longest I tested and had the "engine degraded." I used 3 mins at wep and then reduced to max economical cruise 32/2250 and the engine was stable for ~47 mins and died from "engine degraded." This is usually how it happens to me. After a fight and brief WEP usage I usually lose the engine headed back to base or patrolling later on. If I'm online, I lose the engine, and inevitably on the Project Overlord server I get bounced with no engine.

Maybe this is an extra data point that could be useful in tracking down what is going on. Temperatures remained in the green the arcs the entire flight. One interesting note is the oil temperature dipped and rose slightly mid way through the test but the shutters were not moved except the start of the mission. Since a constant speed/altitude is observed with active pause, I don't know why the engine would vary temperatures at all if nothing was changed after cruise power was set.

Just for reference it's still the same caucus instant action free flight mission...I do not have any mods installed except some custom cockpits through the saved games folder and I have random failures disabled in the options.

Screen_240127_122717.jpg

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Engine Degraded no active pause.trk

Roughly around 3 and a half mins no active pause and I get engine degraded.

I also can get the engine to run the full the 5 minutes without getting the engine degraded failure, but I have to run full open on the oil shutters using WEP. This puts the needle usually at the bottom or slightly below the green arc on the gauge. The problem I am having is, I am getting this failure when the temperatures are in the green arcs. I could see if I was exceeding a limitation or temp having a failure but not when the engine should be in it's nominal operating range. It's straight and level flying no hard maneuvers or climbs so that's what is puzzling to me.

Maybe one of the devs that have access to the x-ray damage viewer could at least take a look and see what exactly is failing to cause "Engine Degraded" since that's all I can see on the debriefs.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I thought about it and decided to try a different approach to testing...

This time I took the first track I added that failed roughly 3.5 minutes in and tried to keep the engine from dying by running the oil and turbo shutters full open with WEP usage. The result was the same failure at roughly the same time and not getting the advertised 5 mins of WEP usage from the engine before it becomes 'degraded.' This appears to indicate that it is not related to temperature in the engine or turbo but something else. I'll attach a video as well.  I would like to hear from anyone who downloads the track/tracks to see if they experience the same issue on replay or taking control of it...particularly any devs that can see what is going on with the damage model.

Failure occurs 3:27 mark for reference.

Engine Degraded oil and intercooler full shutters full open 2.trk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Version 2.9.4.53549....

Still having the same Engine Degraded Failure randomly with WEP usage on the P-47D. One Track the engine degraded under 5 mins of Water Injection. The other track, the engine lasted the full 5 mins, then at 1 hour and 3 mins into the flight at max continuous the Engine Degraded with no excess temps or stresses. This mirrors the randomness of the pre patch behavior.

Maybe these tracks will help.

New Patch under 5 mins WEP Degraded.trk New Patch 1 hour 3 mins WEP Degraded.trk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

New hot fix patch Version 2.9.4.53707

Still having WEP usage causing Engine Degraded at random intervals. A new wrinkle, I have longer ones but this lasts 1 min and 1 second in WEP. I haven't experienced a failure that fast before. I'm not sure even abusing the engine to the extremes could cause a failure that fast...

Hot Fix One 1 1sec min degraded engine.trk

Screen_240422_163119.jpg

Edited by Cool-Hand
added screenshot of debrief

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]