Game crashes and closes after getting into a multiplayer server or in a single player mission, no errors, no messages... and after awhile, sometimes right when loading in the role

Yuma

It first started in VR and now i'm get it in 2D too, before I wasn't. Tried a bit of everything and nothing. I attached my latest crash log as well as the latest crash report warning I got, 98 to 99% of the time no error messages just crash to desktop.

Specs: i9 13900KS ROG Maximus Z90 Hero 64 GB of RAM with 4 TB of NVME RTX 4090. Lates motherboard BIOS and latest NVIDIA driver.

As for VR I use the Pimax Crystal with OpenXR using OpenXR toolkit, PimaxXR and Quad Views companion.

Running along side, Haptic connect, OpenKneeboard with opentabledriver, SRS, TrackIR when in 2D, SimRacingStudio, The Way, Scratpad and SimApp Pro. No mods.

I'm on Open beta, latest update. Read all over the forum or most of it and I'm not seeing the problem in the logs.

dcs.log dcs.log-20240125-105123.zip

Edited by Yuma
Revised

• ED Team

Hi 

please check your scripts some are reporting errors.

Error
attempt to index local 'airCraftInfo' (a nil value)
Line
Script
C:\Users\yunie\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Scripts\Hooks\SRSExport.lua

The crash occurred inside lua.dll.
Try a repair or verify if steam to see if that helps

Delete Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\fxo and metashaders2 and try again.
Next, delete %LOCALAPPDATA%\TEMP\DCS.openbeta and try again.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

16 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

Hi 

please check your scripts some are reporting errors.

Error
bad argument #2 to 'format' (string expected, got nil)
Line
Script
./Scripts/RPC.lua

Error
attempt to index local 'airCraftInfo' (a nil value)
Line
Script
C:\Users\yunie\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Scripts\Hooks\SRSExport.lua

How do i check the scripts? I haven't done anything to them myself.... maybe delete or backup them and they will regenerate? Working on the rest.

54 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

The crash occurred inside lua.dll.
Try a repair or verify if steam to see if that helps

Delete Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\fxo and metashaders2 and try again.
Next, delete %LOCALAPPDATA%\TEMP\DCS.openbeta and try again.

Completed these two as well, aside from a brand new unistall of display drivers via DDU and fresh install. New crash log attached. I used the autoexec.cfg too in case that can help.

dcs.log

Edited by Yuma
Update

• ED Team

HI Yuma

thanks for the new log, 

Just wondering do you overclock at all or have a factory overclock on your gpu or cpu? 

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

4 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

HI Yuma

thanks for the new log, 

Just wondering do you overclock at all or have a factory overclock on your gpu or cpu? 

thanks

My system comes factory like that. I reserved the BIOS to default. GPU ID not overclock however it’s a water cooled GPU, nothing cranked up via afterburner or anything. The CPU in the BIOS is set to Auto, by default, other options are manually to overclock. Thanks for the help man. This issue started two or three weeks ago. I was getting BSOD for thread exception not handled when restarting, I find a clean install of windows and a clean install of DCS, then I started having the crashes in VR but not in 2D so I started playing in 2D, while trying to fix the VR situation to no avail. Yesterday I started to have the similar crashes that I was getting in VR in 2D as well.

9 hours ago, Yuma said:

How do i check the scripts? I haven't done anything to them myself.... maybe delete or backup them and they will regenerate? Working on the rest.

You can disable them momentarily:

1. Browse to "Saved Games/DCS.openbeta".
  2. Rename "Scripts" to "Scripts.bak".
  3. Then run DCS and see if you keep having crashes. In case you don't, attach the "Export.lua" file contained in the "Scripts.bak" folder.

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

3 hours ago, Flappie said:

You can disable them momentarily:

1. Browse to "Saved Games/DCS.openbeta".
  2. Rename "Scripts" to "Scripts.bak".
  3. Then run DCS and see if you keep having crashes. In case you don't, attach the "Export.lua" file contained in the "Scripts.bak" folder.

Played for a bit and no crashes, however earlier today I played for like 3 or 4 hrs until crash. I attached both, earlier crash log and the Export.lua inside Scripts.bak. Thanks for the help.

Note: Buttkicker, The Way, Scratchpad and SRS did not work as the scripts were not present, obviously. I will play for longer tonight and see if no crashes for sure. 

dcs.log Export.lua

As usual, WinWing put their script at the top of the Export.lua, which is known to cause problems. I warned them a few years ago, but they did not change anything.

Try this Export.lua. Your hook mods will be back and we'll see if that changes anything when WinWing scripts are called last.

Export.lua

If crashes keep going, you can comment any line of your Export.lua by prefixing them with two dashes.

Here's an example to disable WinWing script only:

pcall(function() local dcsSr=require('lfs');dofile(dcsSr.writedir()..[[Mods\Services\DCS-SRS\Scripts\DCS-SimpleRadioStandalone.lua]]); end,nil)

local ButtKickerLfs=require('lfs');dofile(ButtKickerLfs.writedir()..'Scripts/ButtKicker_Export.lua')

local TheWayLfs=require('lfs'); dofile(TheWayLfs.writedir()..'Scripts/TheWay/TheWay.lua')

--local wwtlfs=require('lfs'); dofile(wwtlfs.writedir()..'Scripts/wwt/wwtExport.lua')

1 hour ago, Flappie said:

As usual, WinWing put their script at the top of the Export.lua, which is known to cause problems. I warned them a few years ago, but they did not change anything.

Try this Export.lua. Your hook mods will be back and we'll see if that changes anything when WinWing scripts are called last.

Export.lua 427 B · 1 download

If crashes keep going, you can comment any line of your Export.lua by prefixing them with two dashes.

Here's an example to disable WinWing script only:

pcall(function() local dcsSr=require('lfs');dofile(dcsSr.writedir()..[[Mods\Services\DCS-SRS\Scripts\DCS-SimpleRadioStandalone.lua]]); end,nil)

local ButtKickerLfs=require('lfs');dofile(ButtKickerLfs.writedir()..'Scripts/ButtKicker_Export.lua')

local TheWayLfs=require('lfs'); dofile(TheWayLfs.writedir()..'Scripts/TheWay/TheWay.lua')

--local wwtlfs=require('lfs'); dofile(wwtlfs.writedir()..'Scripts/wwt/wwtExport.lua')

Getting crashes with the Export.lua above, other script errors. I put dashes in front of the Winwing and still crashing, trying with the rest of the scripts. New log updated from the latest crash.

dcs.log

Like BIGNEWY said, there seems to be an issue with SRS. Ensure it is up-to-date. Or comment it by adding dashes and see if it's the source of your issue.

Edited by Flappie

1 hour ago, Flappie said:

Like BIGNEWY said, there seems to be an issue with SRS. Ensure it is up-to-date. Or comment it by adding dashes and see if it's the source of our issue.

I disconnected the Winwings MIP and still crashed. Going to try with the dashes for SRS.

Note: Winwing script is dashed out.

dcs.log

Edited by Yuma
Revised

On 1/26/2024 at 4:57 AM, Flappie said:

Like BIGNEWY said, there seems to be an issue with SRS. Ensure it is up-to-date. Or comment it by adding dashes and see if it's the source of your issue.

Still testing and getting random results but after checking my CPU temperatures I noticed that the CPU (i9 13900KS) was running super hot, it hit 100 C, then I found out that the 12900K and 13900 Intel designed them to run that hot, however, Asus mother mother and their BIOS software pushes those CPU even more. A lot of those settings were in Auto but after some reading, some owner had to undervolt the CPU to tame some of these temperatures in the 90s to 100s. The wattage draw for this CPU is 320 Watts which is insane. Something that I learned is that DCS definaetly doesn't like overclocking nor the heat that comes out of it, however whatever little overclocking that I disable in the BIOS was as Asus calls it "Optimized default" basically the way the BIOS comes from factory. Work in progress.