HMD Horizon Shift - Quest 2 vs Quest 3

jdw81
Go to solution Solved by jdw81,

I have been pretty happy with the Quest 2 with the HMD reticle looking forward - directly in line with my sight with a level head position. When I started using a Quest 3, that sight is now looking up 10-20 degrees (guess). To sight a target, I have to tilt my head way down and look through the top of my eyes (eyebrows) to place the crosshair on a target. Is there some kind of control for that angle? I have a nearly identical issue in the F-16 with Night Vision Goggles - they are also looking high vs my level eye sight.

You can press Nm pad 5 to recenter your view.

I do this everytime when i enter a cockpit. Get myself comfy in my seat and press Nm pad 5. 

Never had problems since then with misaligned views etc, especially in VR

Edited by Falconeer

Planes:                                      Choppers:                                       Maps:

• Flaming Cliffs 3                      Black Shark 2                                 Syria
  • A-10C Tank killer 2                Black Shark 3                                 Persian Gulf
  • F/A18C Hornet                       AH-64 Apache                               Mariana's
  • F-16C Viper   
  • F-15E Strike Eagle                   
  • Mirage 2000C
  • AJS-37 Viggen
  • JF-17 Thunder
  • F-14 Tomcat

Thank you for reading. I recenter my VR view every time. My line of sight view out of the cockpit is great. The problem arises when using a helmet mounted device such as the reticle/monocle in the AH-64 or the NVGs in the F-16. I have also tried seat position (forward, back, up, down) with no impact. I need to get some screenshots I guess to better explain.

As far as I can remember there are some keybinds allowing you move the IHADS apache as you get confortable, not sure if you are talking of this...

Intel i9 10850k - MSI Tomahawk 490z - 64 GB DDR4 3000 - HP Reverb G2 - MSI optix Mag321curv 4k monitor - MSI RTX 3080ti - Winwing Orion Throttle base plus F18 stick

So I did some searching and I do not see anything to change the position of the IHADDS (or NVG). I can change my eye position but that is the same as moving the seat up / down / forward / backward / left / right. I had already tested those moves and none of them help with this problem. It acts as if the DCS program is projecting those overlays in a fixed position that somehow is impacted by the resolution of the VR headset.

sorry, i don't have this behaviour on my Quest 2

Planes:                                      Choppers:                                       Maps:

• Flaming Cliffs 3                      Black Shark 2                                 Syria
  • A-10C Tank killer 2                Black Shark 3                                 Persian Gulf
  • F/A18C Hornet                       AH-64 Apache                               Mariana's
  • F-16C Viper   
  • F-15E Strike Eagle                   
  • Mirage 2000C
  • AJS-37 Viggen
  • JF-17 Thunder
  • F-14 Tomcat

I noticed this on both Q2 and Q3 but it's much better now with the Q3.

Note that the keybinds for shifting the HMD image might seem like it works but the HMD symbology doesn't account for this. E.g. if you shift it 1cm down all the symbology will now be off by 1cm.

I'm not sure why it happens though...

• Like 1

• Solution

Working with customer support, I think we have a work-around. I have several view adjustments binded to mouse or joystick. These include VR Recenter (in UI menu) and seat forward, back, up, down (4 seat binds). When I get in the cockpit, I tilt my head back - looking virtually overhead - and then hit the VR Recenter. When I look back down, I then adjust my seat position to match my preference. The AH-64D IHADDS and F-16 NVGs are now more in line with my sight looking forward. I tested the sighting of the IHADDS and it is still accurate despite all of these major adjustments to the view. Bottom line, I can live with this.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

this doesn't work for me. Been doing a lot of fiddling and got a ticket open with support. But from what i can see it appears the monocule is being drawn too high in the quest 3 display. I'll try and add a screen shot - I can see some additional graphic in the bottom of the headset - which maybe a facemask or something. I took a video using the quest video recording option - now whats interesting about that is its showing alot more above my field of view from the headset and it makes the monucule look more centered. Note if i turn the monocule off and use the head up display without the monucule graphics - this still is too high on screen. It defintiely appears to be an issue in game - flying other dcs aircraft all look fine.