BSOD observations

hello all,

i wanted to submit a report of an experience i had with DCS. i literally never have any issues. i decided to start to edit videos for myself. i downloaded clipchamp. free; why not. After installation, the first sign of trouble was when the gforce experience notification popped up when i opened the app. Messed around for a little. Then i ran DCS and i immediately noticed video artefacts. gray blinking squares on my second monitor. DCS opened and hung. then i got a BSOD. VIDEO SCHEDULER INTERNAL ERROR. i restarted DCS and I was prompted for my password. I have always had autologin. Started getting thinking my config folder was corrupted somehow. sure enough DCS would not start. task manager showed DCS stuck at about 2 GB memory. it stopped gaining memory at this point and was stuck at a black screen. I had to close DCS with task manager. thankfully i had a backup of my config folder (DCS Witching Utility to the rescue). i restarted DCS and it was like it had never happened.

I just wanted to share. I do not believe this was only a DCS problem, but it was involved in the problem.

• Like 1

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

You can find windows BSOD memory dump at %SystemRoot%\Minidump. and C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP

DCS dump can be found in saved games\DCS and %localAppData%\DCS

Generally, this particular BSOD is relate to graphic drivers.

those are probably just coincidence, Single-event upset. If this issue continues. I would worry more about the drivers, windows, and hardware.

Edited by Insonia

1 hour ago, Insonia said:

You can find windows BSOD memory dump at %SystemRoot%\Minidump. and C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP

DCS dump can be found in saved games\DCS and %localAppData%\DCS

Generally, this particular BSOD is relate to graphic drivers.

DirectX MMS(Microsoft's Media Streaming) driver to be specific. DirectShow which handles the directX hardware accelerations for video codec. It's not unheard of VIDEO SCHEDULER INTERNAL ERROR after some people install and using the AMD AMF, NVIDIA NVENC, or Windows DirectX Video codecs. All of those are probably just coincidence, Single-event upset. If this issue continues. I would worry more about the drivers, windows, and hardware.

Hello,

I am at work at the moment working on a server issue. However I can get a look at the DMP later. I am certain that the video editor clipchamp started the issue. It seems to me that the two apps were not happy with each other running together. The GeForce notification popping up when I ran clipchamp gave me a hint. Everything is fine now. I thought I could add my experience to the record. It seemed a lot like other users' experiences with black screen issues.

I will post more info when it's available.

Thanks for the reply.

• Like 1

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

Download WinDbg, point it at the Windows crash dump file, it gives useful info.

• Like 1

My Hangar:

F16C | FA18C | AH64D | F14A/B | M2000C | AV8B | A10C/ii | KA50/iii | UH1H | Gazelle | FC3 | CA | Supercarrier

My Spec:

Obsidian750D Airflow | Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K | 32GB DDR4 Vengeance @3600 | RTX3080 12GB OC | ZXR PCIe | WD Black 2TB SSD | Log X56 | Log G502 | TrackIR | 1 badass mutha

sorry.

Previous post: I made a mistake and was misled (by Google, of course). Those M$ abbreviations were really confusing sometimes. I was brainfogged because there is similar name scheme and also involved in codecs.

The correction:

DirectX Graphics MMS( dxgmms1.sys dxgmms2.sys dxgkrnl.sys)  is the driver controlling the VIDEO SCHEDULER(VidSch) and VIDEO MEMORY MANAGEMENT(VidMm). MMS may stand for memory management and scheduling in this instance.

Microsoft media stream MMS and Directshow is legacy video encode/decode stuff, no longer used and not ring0. Modern Windows software like clipchamp and xbox gamebar use the Media Foundation Interfaces (IMF) and DXVA to provide encode/decode accelerations. 

Only drivers running at ring0 can trigger the BSOD. WDDM is ring0. Streaming libraries themselves at user level cant not directly crash the system.

===============================================/

An exception in VidSch functions triggers the "VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL" BSOD. If it happens in VidMm triggers the "VIDEO_MEMORY_MANAGEMENT_INTERAL" .

The cause is usually traced back to graphics drivers. If the windows and drivers are correctly installed, there is not much you can do about it..(single event, faulty driver or faulty hardware)

The blackscreen you experienced is most likely a TDR event. Timeout detection and recovery (TDR) - Windows drivers | Microsoft Learn

cWb7uLb.jpeg

VidMm and VidSch manage the GPU schedules and memory. If for whatever reason, the GPU packets can't be sent to the GPU before reaching TDR . The VidSch (GPU scheduler) thinks the device is gone and needs to be reset. Kernal will try to restart it, and it will create the temporary screen flicker ( if recoverable). Or remain in backscreen (unrecoverable obviously). The Windows events/logs will add an entry about attempting to reset the graphic driver during each instance.

However, if the graphic card/drivers crash the scheduler first, You receive this "VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL" instead.

And "TDRLevel" and "TDRdelay" in the registry control what the kernel should do and how long to wait before taking actions. You might already see people mentioning those 2 registry entries somewhere in the forum when there are dxgi_error_device_hung/removed and blackscreen errors. Changing those values might help few people who have laggy drivers or GPU. Most of time, they have some sort of fault in the graphics card.

And the root of a BSOD or TDR event can be anything.. The clipchamp is not a necessary cause for everybody. For you, encoding or decoding video might just compete for GPU resources and put the GPU scheduler and GPU driver at work, and system just go "oops!". Hopefully, this is just a single event.

• Like 1

thanks for the comments all

more evidence.

i found that there was one file, appSettings.lua (atached to this post) was created after BSOD and being stuck in black screen. this file does not exist in the working co nfig folder.

appSettings.lua

image.png

image.png

appSettings.lua

• Like 1

This is not "evidence"..

Did you have "fullscreen" checked before? By default. brand new DCS config disable the fullscreen setting.

appSettings.lua was introduced probably as early as 2.8 or at the end of 2.7 release. DCS generates this file ONLY when it runs in window or borderless mode( uncheck the fullscreen in the settings) it use this file to remember POS in window mode instead of Windows shell "bags" registry.

Edited by Insonia

6 hours ago, Insonia said:

Did you have "fullscreen" checked before?

Yes.

6 hours ago, Insonia said:

appSettings.lua

As I said in my most recent post, that file is in the config.OLD folder. Not in the config folder. DCS would not start completely until I renamed the config folder. Also I said that I was prompted for a password whereas usually I have auto login clicked. This was an indication that the config folder was corrupted.