R-33 on Su-27?

hmm... I was checking a website about the russian aircraft and found an interesting matter. But I doubt that the Su-27 can support this missile since if such was the case, we would already be able to use it.

One 30 mm GSh-301 gun in starboard wingroot extension, with 150 rds. Up to 10 air-to-air missiles in air combat role, on tandem pylons under fuselage between engine ducts, beneath each duct, under each centre-wing and outer-wing, and at each wingtip. Typically, two short-burn semi-active radar homing R-27R (NATO AA-10A 'Alamo-A') in tandem under fuselage; two short-burn infrared homing R-27T (AA-10B 'Alamo-B') missiles on centre-wing pylons; and long-burn semi-active radar homing R-27ER (AA-10C 'Alamo-C') or infrared R-27ET (AA-10D 'Alamo-D') beneath each engine duct. The four outer pylons carry either R-73A (AA-11 'Archer') or R-60 (AA-8 'Aphid') close-range infrared missiles. R-33 (AA-9 'Amos') missiles optional in place of AA-10s.Five-round packs of 130 mm rockets, or larger rocket pods, under wings in ground attack role.

:arrow: Source: http://aeronautics.ru/archive/vvs/

Hey Alfa, what can you tell us about this?

Guest DeathAngelBR

Rosoboronexport

Su-27SK

The Su-27SK weapons deployed on 10 hard-points, include R-27 air-to-air missiles of all modifications and R-73E missiles. The unguided weapons are S-8, S-13 and S-25 unguided rockets and aerial bombs of up to 500 kg calibre. The aircraft has a built-in GSh-301 gun with the ammunition allowance of 150 rounds.

Anyone knew about this ???

On 26 November 1995, the first of two Su-27s was delivered to the USA inside an An-124 for an unknown purpose

Maybe I´m the only one surprised by this statement, I thought that the west hadn´t looked at the Su-27 more than in photographs or airshows. Or at least, nothing they would publically admit.

On 26 November 1995, the first of two Su-27s was delivered to the USA inside an An-124 for an unknown purpose

Maybe I´m the only one surprised by this statement, I thought that the west hadn´t looked at the Su-27 more than in photographs or airshows. Or at least, nothing they would publically admit.

Never heared of it. Still its weird. Is your source secure?

Rosoboronexport

Su-27SK

The Su-27SK weapons deployed on 10 hard-points, include R-27 air-to-air missiles of all modifications and R-73E missiles. The unguided weapons are S-8, S-13 and S-25 unguided rockets and aerial bombs of up to 500 kg calibre. The aircraft has a built-in GSh-301 gun with the ammunition allowance of 150 rounds.
It doesnt mention the capability of the Su-27 to use the R-33. Hmmm, the russian hardware it quite misterous. But anyway the Su-27SK is an export version.

More misterious is the fact that ED decided to implement A2G capability on the standard Su-27 but I dont have any source that indicates that the Flanker-B can carry such weaponry.

I have a list of ALL versions of the Flanker:

Su-27 (`Flanker-B'): Single-seat land-based production version for air defence force (PVO); full-span leading-edge flaps, trailing-edge flaperons, 5 per cent increase in wing area, straight leading-edges, new aerofoil, square wingtips, carrying anti-flutter weights which doubled as AAM launchers; wider-spaced, uncanted tailfins outboard of engine housings; flatter canopy of reduced cross-section; extended tailcone instead of flat `beaver-tail'; forward-retracting nosewheel; first flown (T10-7) 20 April 1981. Standard radar tracks 10 targets simultaneously, engages only one. There was early, but probably erroneous, speculation that PVO aircraft were designated Su-27P, with Su-27S designation applied to Frontal Aviation aircraft. All aircraft can carry Sorbtsya-S active ECM jammer pods on wingtips in place of wingtip launch rails. Su-27S designation little used, but differentiates production (Series) from prototype and preproduction. Four initial production aircraft (T10-15, -17, -18 and -22) used for State Acceptance Tests were part of small initial batch featuring horizontally cropped fin caps.

Detailed description applies to the above version, except where indicated.

Su-27RV' (`Flanker-B'): Six replacement aircraft for Russian Knights aerobatic team feature GPS and Western-compatible communications equipment.

Su-27SK (`Flanker-B'): Export version of basic Su-27, using air-to-ground capabilities not exploited by Soviet/Russian Su-27s and using same weapons options and downgraded avionics. Armament, totalling up to 4,000 kg (8,818 lb), includes 250 kg and 500 kg bombs, B-8M1 packs of 20 × 80 mm rockets, B-13L packs of five 122 mm rockets, S-250FM 250 mm rockets, KMGU-2 cluster bombs, or podded SPPU-22 30 mm gun with optional downward-deflecting barrel for air-to-ground and air-to-air use. Dimensions, weights and performance generally similar to Su-27 but with reinforced landing gear giving increased (33,000 kg; 72,752 lb) MTOW. Chinese aircraft locally designated J-11, though this strictly applies only to locally manufactured examples. First Chinese-assembled aircraft flight tested in December 1998. Some later export aircraft may have upgraded radar and 6,200 kg (13,670 lb) weapon load, or even 8,000 kg (17,637 lb) according to some manufacturer's brochures.

Su-27SM: Proposed mid-life update configuration using a derivative of the Zhuk radar, AL-31FM or AL-35F engines and other improvements to avionics and hardpoints. Status unknown in 2000.

Su-27SMK: Single-seat multirole fighter based on the basic Su-27SK, and not the Zhuk-equipped Su-27SM; revealed 1995. Compared with Su-27SK, has 12 instead of 10 hardpoints; 8,000 kg (17,637 lb) weapon load; state-of-the-art nav system, including long-range radio nav, GPS, multichannel comms and latest ECM; larger internal wing fuel tanks and provision for two 2,000 litre (528 US gallon; 440 Imp gallon) underwing tanks; flight refuelling and buddy refuelling capability; retains N001 radar. Most improvements already introduced on other Su-27 series aircraft, enabling virtually full-standard Phase One Su-27SMKs to be offered for immediate delivery. These would be configured for air-to-air roles, with the new wings containing increased internal fuel, provision for underwing tanks, flight refuelling, 12 hardpoints and RVV-AE (R-77; AA-12 `Adder') AAM capability. Su-30KI demonstrator (see below) is regarded as Phase One standard. Phase Two aircraft, with improved avionics and weapon systems for air-to-surface missions, theoretically available later; weapons options to include Kh-29 and Kh-31 ASMs, plus KB-500 LGBs although this seems unlikely without much more extensive upgrade. See accompanying charts for alternative weapon loads. Dimensions as Su-27, except wing span over wingtip R-73E missiles 14.95 m (49 ft 0½ in). Weights and performance: see tabulated data.

Su-27PD: Long-endurance test aircraft with retractable AAR probe, offset IRST and recontoured tail `sting'; sometimes described as single-seat Su-30, originally Su-27P. Probably stripped of weapons system for research at Gromov Flight Research Institute and demonstration flying. Added satellite navigation; no radar or weapon control system; PC 486 with LCD for flight assessment of indication formats. At least one aircraft (3720 `598', last known Russian military Su-27); by early 1998, this was marked `Su-27 Upgrade' and undertaking development flying for Su-30KI (which see). Duties included two flights to North Pole in July and September 1999, testing SRNK satnav system. Another Su-27P (3711 `595' lacked AAR probe.

Su-30KI `(Flanker C'): The Su-30KI prototype (4002, wearing the basic Chinese dark grey colour scheme, but with a disruptive camouflage superimposed on the wings, tailplanes and outer surfaces of the tailfins) first flew on 28 June 1998, and was then sent to Chkalov Flight Test Centre at Akhtubinsk, where it was evaluated and used for launch trials of the RVV-AE (AA-12 `Adder') AAM, and for avionics and refuelling probe verification. The Su-30KI was described as a `single-seat Su-30', and was tailored to meet an Indonesian requirement, before the Asian economic crisis halted that programme. Extent to which the aircraft incorporated the `extended endurance' features of the Su-30 (apart from refuelling probe, GPS and Western VOR/DME navigation equipment) remains uncertain, however. Su-30KI also used as basis of Sukhoi's latest proposal to upgrade Russia's in-service Su-27s, replacing Su-27SM. Upgrade programme still confusingly referred to by Sukhoi as the Su-30KI, although Russian Air Forces understood to use neither the Su-30 designation nor the KI suffix.

Su-27UB (`Flanker-C'): Tandem two-seat trainer version of `Flanker-B' with full combat capability (Sukhoi designation T10U); four prototypes (first of which for static testing) built at Komsomolsk; first flown 7 March 1985 (T10U-1); series manufacture by Irkutsk Aircraft Production Association began 1986; first production UB (T10U-4) flew on 10 September 1986. Instructor in raised rear seat with 6º view forward over the nose; taller fin; length same as `Flanker-B'; overall height 6.36 m (20 ft 10¼ in), maximum combat load 8,000 kg (17,637 lb). 1,500 kg increase in empty weight, no reduction in internal fuel capacity. Export version is Su-27UBK.

Aircraft 02-01 (`Flanker-C'): Second Su-27UB flying prototype converted as inflight refuelling systems testbed with retractable probe and provision for centreline `buddy' pod; first flown early 1987. Later used in support of Su-27K and Su-27PU development programmes.

Su-27M: Advanced development of Su-27. Still the official designation for the aircraft known to the OKB as the Su-35. See Su-35

Su-27/Su-30 (Su-30KI Minor Modernisation): Proposed upgrade for export Su-27SK, bestowing same multirole standard as Su-30MKK, with inflight refuelling probe, glass cockpit, N-011M radar, GPS, VOR, DME, new mission computer, new navigation system with GPS, expanded EW and provision for new targeting pods. Development undertaken by Su-27PD 3720 `598' and, later, by Su-30KI 4002, first flown 28 June 1998. Phase I of upgrade is known in Russia as Su-30KI, despite the two-seat and Indonesian connotations of that designation. In February 1998, Su-27PD 3720 `598' was displayed at the Singapore Air Show marked `Su-27 Upgrade' and - notwithstanding the fact that it is a single-seat aircraft - stated to be undertaking development work for a variant to be designated Su-30KI. Latter is phase one of Su-27SMK programme, duties of trials aircraft 4002 including satellite-based navigation; upgraded computers; RVV-AE AAMs; Kh-29T, Kh-31P and Kh-59M ASMs; KAB-500 and KAB-1500 TV-guided bombs; and multifunction cockpit displays.

Su-27/Su-30 Major Modernisation: Proposed advanced upgrade configuration bringing any `first-generation' `Flanker' to virtual Su-27M/Su-30MKI standards, with a new MIL-STD-1553B-based avionics system, N011M radar with a phased-array antenna, and with the option of adding thrust vectoring and/or canard foreplanes.

Su-27LL-KS: Su-27 (T10-26; 0702) with axisymmetric afterburner nozzle. Also known as Su-27LLUV(KS) (Upravlyayayemy Vektor tyagi; Krugloye Soplo: thrust vector control; axisymmetric nozzle) or Su-27-KSI. Evaluated against two-dimensional nozzle testbed, described below. First flew 21 March 1989.

Su-27UB-PS: Su-27UB (Somsomolsk 0202; `08') modified in 1990 for thrust-vectoring development, with large two-dimensional box nozzle on port tailpipe. Also known as Su-27LL-PS or Su-27LL-UV(PS) (Upravlyayemy Vektor tyagi; Ploskoye Soplo: thrust vector control; flat nozzle).

Su-27LMK: CCV (Lyotno-Modeliruyushchy Kompleks: flight simulation complex) conversion of production aircraft 2405 with FADEC and side-stick, and fitted with spin-recovery rockets, tested subsequently with axisymmetric nozzle on starboard tailpipe. Trials at Zhukovsky test centre, under direction of TsIAM and Saturn/Lyulka OKB, began 1990.

Su-27LL-OS: Missile testbed; 1989 conversion of first production Su-27UB 0101 (T10U-4).

Su-27K: Described separately.

Su-27IB: Described separately.

Su-27PU: Two prototypes only; described in 1993-94 Jane's. In production as Su-30 (which see).

P-42: Specially prepared Su-27 (T10-15; first production Su-27; originally flown 2 June 1982); set 31 official world records between 1986 and 1988, including climb to 12,000 m (39,370 ft) in 55.542 seconds, and to 22,250 m (73,000 ft) with 1,000 kg (2,205 lb) payload; some records are in FAI category for STOL aircraft.

Never heared of it. Still its weird. Is your source secure?

The source is your source. Look under customers, it´s the last line.

Guest DeathAngelBR
Rosoboronexport

Su-27SK

It doesnt mention the capability of the Su-27 to use the R-33. Hmmm, the russian hardware it quite misterous. But anyway the Su-27SK is an export version.

More misterious is the fact that ED decided to implement A2G capability on the standard Su-27 but I dont have any source that indicates that the Flanker-B can carry such weaponry.

The Flanker-B always had air-to-ground capability. And the Su-27SK is exactly that... export version of Flanker-B.

Anyways, aeronautics.ru isn't an official RuAF aviation site. Rosoboronexport is.

^^ Well, Rosoboronexport states this about SU33:

The weapons are attached to 12 hard-points. The armament includes R-27R1(ER1), R-27T1(ET1), R-73E air-to-air missiles, unguided rockets, and guided bombs with calibre of up to 500 kg.

WTF?! :shock:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commanding Officer of:

2nd Company 1st financial guard battalion "Mrcine"

See our squads here and our

Croatian radio chat for DCS World

Re: R-33 on Su-27?

Hi Skywall,

I can tell you that it is nonsense :lol:

The R-33 and Zaslon radar form an integrated system onboard the MiG-31 in the same way as the AWG-9/AIM-54 for the F-14.

No Su-27 version is compatible with this missile :) .

- JJ.

JJ

The Flanker-B always had air-to-ground capability. And the Su-27SK is exactly that... export version of Flanker-B.

Yes the Su-27SK is the export designation for Su-27S, in the same way as Su-27UBK is the export designation for the basic Su-27UB combat trainer version.

Anyways, aeronautics.ru isn't an official RuAF aviation site. Rosoboronexport is.

Not quite - Rosoboronexport is the Russian state agency handling arms export for the varies manufactures, and as such has nothing to do with the Russian airforce.

- JJ.

JJ

That's Venik's web site... not very reliable.

Not necessarily unreliable, but I'd advise both caution and double-checking when taking facts from Venik . . . . . . there's certainly some interesting stuff there. Problem is that not all of it is based in the world of fact :P

Guest DeathAngelBR

Yes the Su-27SK is the export designation for Su-27S, in the same way as Su-27UBK is the export designation for the basic Su-27UB combat trainer version.

Not quite - Rosoboronexport is the Russian state agency handling arms export for the varies manufactures, and as such has nothing to do with the Russian airforce.

- JJ.

It's still an official site, unlike aeronautics.ru

Hi Skywall,

I can tell you that it is nonsense :lol:

The R-33 and Zaslon radar form an integrated system onboard the MiG-31 in the same way as the AWG-9/AIM-54 for the F-14.

No Su-27 version is compatible with this missile :) .

- JJ.

I suspected as much. Thanks for reply. :)

I have read somewhere the russians want to employ the R-33 on the Su-27 but it was cancelled because the weakness of the radar.

I read it had something to do with the R33 working on an entirely different frequency.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commanding Officer of:

2nd Company 1st financial guard battalion "Mrcine"

See our squads here and our

Croatian radio chat for DCS World

I have read somewhere the russians want to employ the R-33 on the Su-27 but it was cancelled because the weakness of the radar.

I read it had something to do with the R33 working on an entirely different frequency.

The simple way to put it: The two systems are not integrated, take this to mean whatevr you want to ;)

t's not as simple as wiring some new wires in though.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

AFAIK there's a grain of truth in this rumour: the N001 on the Su-27 was originally supposed to have a phased array antenna like the Zaslon and it was intended to use the R-33. However development of the antenna stalled and the Su-27 ended up with the radar and armament we know today. Would have been scary though, that's for sure (a MiG-31 equivalent that can dogfight with the best of them!) :)

AFAIK there's a grain of truth in this rumour: the N001 on the Su-27 was originally supposed to have a phased array antenna like the Zaslon and it was intended to use the R-33.

No Trident....the Su-27 was initially supposed to have a phased array radar, but got the N001 cassegrain set instead ;).....which in turn is little more than an upscaled N019(developed by NIIR for the MiG-29) with which it shares components to some 75-85% .

Anyway, I doubt that the R-33 misssile was ever part of the considerations for the Su-27 development in any serious way.....just as I doubt that it was considered to put the AIM-54 on the F-15. I think this is one of those rumours that come about because someone thought it would be a good idea :)

However development of the antenna stalled and the Su-27 ended up with the radar and armament we know today.

The phased array radar was initially dropped for the Su-27, because NIIP found that it simply wasnt possible, at the time, to develop such a radar compact and light enough to fit into the Su-27....they managed to do it with the Zaslon radar for the MiG-31 though, but then this is a bigger aircraft. And even if they had managed to build one that could be stuffed into the Su-27, you can be sure that it wouldnt have been able to do much dogfighting......the Zaslon radar of the MiG-31 weighs a ton!(literally - 1000kg).

Would have been scary though, that's for sure (a MiG-31 equivalent that can dogfight with the best of them!) :

Trident such an Su-27 version exists today...it is called Su-35 ;) .

The Su-35 and Su-30MKI have the N011M radar installed, which is a later development by the same bureau(NIIP) who designed the Zaslon. But as GGtharos said, there is more to missile integration than just hanging it from an aircraft with a powerful radar :)

Some history on Russian airborne radars,

Both the MiG-29 and Su-27 were originally intended to have phased array radars - NIIR was assigned to the development of the one for equipping the MiG-29, while NIIP was to develop the one for the the Su-27. But as mentioned earlier, the technology at the time meant that such designs ended up being very "lumpy" - both in terms of mass and volume. Considering that the MiG-29 is considerably smaller than the Su-27, it quickly became apparent that it wouldnt be possible to develop a phased array radar to fit into the MiG-29, so NIIR instead switched to an upgrade program for the N003 Cassegrain radar, which they had previously developed for the MiG-23 - upscaling it with a larger antenna and and "up-smarting" it, amoung other things, with a new digital main processor(Ts100).....enter N019.

Meanwhile NIIP continiued working on a phased array radar for the Su-27, but ultimately they too had to "throw in the towel" and look for an alternative - as the development of the Su-27 had progressed quite far at this point, there wasnt time to start from scratch, so the solution was that NIIP would recieve all the R&D material on the N019 from NIIR, and based on this develop a (further) upscaled Cassegrain set for the Su-27 with a high degree of component commonoligy with the N019....enter N001.

After having(temporarily) given up on a phased array radar for the Su-27, NIIP instead started working on a planar slotted array set designated N011 intended for an upgraded Su-27 version(Su-27M...later "Su-35"), while NIIR did a similar thing for the MiG-29 with their development of the N010 "Zhuk" for the MiG-29M and MiG-29K.

The first Su-27M(Su-35) prototypes were equipped with the N011, but later NIIP replaced the planar slotted array antenna of this with a new phased array ditto(to some extent owing to the experience gained from the Zaslon development) and designated the new set "N011M". Interestingly enough, the N011M uses both mechanical(hydrolic) and electronic scanning in combination - providing a very large scan area :) .The initial N011M amounted to little more than an antenna swap, and while scanning speed and range performance improved, the basic characteristics remained the same as with the N011 - tracking of up to 15 targets and simultaneous engagement of up to 4. Later a further upgrade was implemented, which doubled these numbers(track of up to 32 targets and simultaneous engagement of 6-8 ). An experimental set was reportedly equipped with an incredibly powerful emitter(or perhaps two individual ones) providing a wopping 5Kw average output.

NIIR also developed a phased array version of their N010 design - replacing the planar slotted array antenna with a phased array one - the most recent being the "Zhuk-MSF" (also known as "SOKOL"), which is a case of taking the large "Zhuk-M" version( called "Zhuk-MS") developed for Su-27 versions and replace the 960 mm slotted array antenna with a larger 980 mm fixed phased array antenna instead. Unlike with the N011M, NIIR chose to make the phased array antenna of the Zhuk-MSF fixed in position - i.e. entirely electronic scanning, which means a smaller scanning area, but since the actual antenna isnt moving inside the radome, the diameter of this could be increased from 960mm to 980mm with increased acquisition range as the result.

Cheers,

- JJ.

JJ

Su-27SM: Su-27SM: Proposed mid-life update configuration using a derivative of the Zhuk radar, AL-31FM or AL-35F engines and other improvements to avionics and hardpoints. Status unknown in 2000.

I was checking this and...isnt this one of that Flanker upgrades that never saw the light of day?

Can someone tell me the AL-35F engine characteristics? :)