Been away for over a year, now I'm having spurious Radar Mode switch issues.

Everything is updated, of course.

I have triple checked (both axes and non-axes) commands and I have NO CONTROLS bound to the Radar Control switch on the right side panel near the pilots right hip, however, during flight it is randomly changing positions (all positions) and making the radar unusable as it often switches so many times per minute that it's turning it off, emerg, on, stby, off and so on...

I have gone through all the bindings for all the controls I have and nothing is bound to it, so what am I missing? 

Everything is updated, of course.
I have triple checked (both axes and non-axes) commands and I have NO CONTROLS bound to the Radar Control switch on the right side panel near the pilots right hip, however, during flight it is randomly changing positions (all positions) and making the radar unusable as it often switches so many times per minute that it's turning it off, emerg, on, stby, off and so on...
I have gone through all the bindings for all the controls I have and nothing is bound to it, so what am I missing? 

Welcome back! Does the keybind have a keystroke associated? Could any other app send that specific keystroke(s)?
Cheers!

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk

I would try renaming your DCS Saved Games folder (or even just the F-18 bindings part of that).  Might not be showing up in your bindings screen, but that definitely seems like something is bound to it.  Might be a corrupted bindings file.  As MAXsenna suggested, if there is a keystroke binding (you said no controls bound to it, but just to make sure that includes keybinds) for it I would clear that to and see if there is something else activating that keybind.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MAXsenna said:

Welcome back! Does the keybind have a keystroke associated? Could any other app send that specific keystroke(s)?
Cheers!

That's interesting, never thought about keyboard bindings - I'll check. Thanks!

EDIT - the RADAR Switch has no keyboard bindings.

Edited by Elphaba
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, rob10 said:

I would try renaming your DCS Saved Games folder (or even just the F-18 bindings part of that).  Might not be showing up in your bindings screen, but that definitely seems like something is bound to it.  Might be a corrupted bindings file.  As MAXsenna suggested, if there is a keystroke binding (you said no controls bound to it, but just to make sure that includes keybinds) for it I would clear that to and see if there is something else activating that keybind.

I agree. By the way, you might even have a Mouse button bound to it.
Steps:
1. document all existing bindings you want to use
2. re-name the folder "C:\Users\USER\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Config\Input\FA-18C_hornet" or "C:\Users\USER\Saved Games\DCS\Config\Input\FA-18C_hornet"
    This voids all existing bindings for the Hornet so you are sure there is no garbage hidden somwhere.
3. start the game and re-enter your bindings

Edited by LeCuvier
  • Like 1

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

19 minutes ago, LeCuvier said:

I agree. By the way, you might even have a Mouse button bound to it.
Steps:
1. document all existing bindings you want to use
2. re-name the folder "C:\Users\USER\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Config\Input\FA-18C_hornet" or "C:\Users\USER\Saved Games\DCS\Config\Input\FA-18C_hornet"
    This voids all existing bindings for the Hornet so you are sure there is no garbage hidden somwhere.
3. start the game and re-enter your bindings

Thanks.

The weird thing is that I can be sitting, hands off all controls. Not touching mouse or keyboard and I can look down and see the knob changing constantly. So if it's getting an input that it's not bound to, then I don't know how. 

I am wondering if I'm over the connected devices limit?

I have two joysticks (centre and side), one throttle, 1 x WinWing PTO 1, 1 x WinWing PTO 2, 2 x WinWing PCR 1, 1 x WinWing TopGun MIPS, 1 x WinWing F16ICP, 1 x TM TPR Pedals.

Is that too much for DCS to handle?

I don't know of a connected devices limit. Normal logic would say that if there was such an issue you would see instability on a cockpit device that's bound to one of the game controllers.
You can easily exclude this possibility by disconnecting some of your game controllers.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

Thanks.
The weird thing is that I can be sitting, hands off all controls. Not touching mouse or keyboard and I can look down and see the knob changing constantly. So if it's getting an input that it's not bound to, then I don't know how. 
I am wondering if I'm over the connected devices limit?
I have two joysticks (centre and side), one throttle, 1 x WinWing PTO 1, 1 x WinWing PTO 2, 2 x WinWing PCR 1, 1 x WinWing TopGun MIPS, 1 x WinWing F16ICP, 1 x TM TPR Pedals.

Is that too much for DCS to handle?

Not by far!

Okay, just in case anyone else has this issue. After unplugging/reconnecting each controller in sequence, and still never able to isolating it, I tried deleting the INPUT folder in CONFIG in my SAVED GAMES folder and restarting DCS.

STILL didn't fix it.

I will point out I had no mods installed. Everything was virgin. 

So ultimately I uninstalled the F18, restarted DCS and reinstalled the F18 and so far... it's okay now. 

And that's with all my controllers plugged in. I guess something got corrupted or screwy, but now I have to rebind every damn aircraft again... sigh. 

2 hours ago, Elphaba said:

Okay, just in case anyone else has this issue. After unplugging/reconnecting each controller in sequence, and still never able to isolating it, I tried deleting the INPUT folder in CONFIG in my SAVED GAMES folder and restarting DCS.

STILL didn't fix it.

I will point out I had no mods installed. Everything was virgin. 

So ultimately I uninstalled the F18, restarted DCS and reinstalled the F18 and so far... it's okay now. 

And that's with all my controllers plugged in. I guess something got corrupted or screwy, but now I have to rebind every damn aircraft again... sigh. 

Don't you have a backup of the folders under "C:\Users\USERNAME\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Config\InputSaved Games"? You should be able to restore the files for aircraft other than F/A-18 from there.

LeCuvier