Join maps

Rikus

Syria, Gulf, Sinaí, Iraq...

Lot of individual maps.

If it were possible to unite all the maps to fly it as if it were one, even if you have to pay for all of them, then I would buy them.

But if they can't be put together to fly as one, then I won't buy them because almost all of them are too similar...

• Like 1

The maps are flat, you would need them to be spherical in order to join them. 

• Thanks 1

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

5 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

The maps are flat, you would need them to be spherical in order to join them. 

You wouldn’t - it would be distorted (which all flat maps in DCS necessarily are by virtue of them being flat), but barring anything else, the lack of spherical geometry shouldn’t be a prerequisite for joining them.

That said, moving forward it would be better if future maps were made with spherical geometry, not only would it be more accurate, but then, hypothetically, they could go on the world map currently in development.

• Like 3

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

1 hour ago, Northstar98 said:

You wouldn’t - it would be distorted

I don’t imagine their distortions would align if you tried to join them. Plus there could certainly be performance issues. I’m sure the upcoming spherical map will be less detailed than the smaller maps. 

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

4 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

I don’t imagine their distortions would align if you tried to join them.

Yeah, there probably would be alignment issues, but that can be fixed by altering current geometry. But the point is that it doesn't necessarily need to be made spherical.

5 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

Plus there could certainly be performance issues

Possibly. It might also be that the technology just isn't there or a number of things I haven't considered.

6 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

I’m sure the upcoming spherical map will be less detailed than the smaller maps.

It almost certainly will, but I'm hoping we can get smaller, spherical, add on maps that overwrite the areas they cover, allowing not only higher-detailed maps, but historical maps as well.

This kind of thing has been used in other flight simulators (lower resolution base map, with addon maps that are higher detailed) for decades, so it wouldn't be unprecedented, personally it's easily the ideal option.

• Like 2

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

On 2/13/2024 at 7:41 AM, Rikus said:

Syria, Gulf, Sinaí, Iraq...

Lot of individual maps.

If it were possible to unite all the maps to fly it as if it were one, even if you have to pay for all of them, then I would buy them.
But if they can't be put together to fly as one, then I won't buy them because almost all of them are too similar...

Not possible for them to be "merged" without completely rebuilding most of them, so that's not going to happen.  As ED have said in the past, they are built using different technologies that aren't necessarily directly compatible, and that's before you get into licensing issues since some of them are made by different third party's.

You'll have to wait for ED to come out with "whole world map" (planned and at least prelim work being done, but likely years, not months away).

• Like 2