Aim9M uncage mode

Phil C6
Go to solution Solved by Ozone42,

Hi,
If the uncage mode is very practical on the F16, I don't understand the logic of uncage on the F18.
It seems that the uncage mode only allows you to recenter the sensor but not to free it.
How do you check that the IR sensor has locked onto the target? (specially with Aim9M since there sensor are lesser good than 9X)
How do you use it?

Best regards

• 1 month later...
  • Solution

Not sure what you mean. The uncage/cage button on the throttle alternatively uncages/cages the sensor. You notice that that sensor is locked when it follows the target on the HUD (when uncaged) and by the sound.

I have the F-16, but I have flown so little with it, that I don’t know how it works there.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/16/2024 at 7:43 AM, Phil C6 said:

Hi,
If the uncage mode is very practical on the F16, I don't understand the logic of uncage on the F18.
It seems that the uncage mode only allows you to recenter the sensor but not to free it.
How do you check that the IR sensor has locked onto the target? (specially with Aim9M since there sensor are lesser good than 9X)
How do you use it?

Best regards

I agree,  cage/uncage does seem a bit useless in most ACM situations with the radar track on approaching bandit.  I use 9X + 'jahamac' whenever possible and I'd rather use slave/unslave (to radar) instead of cage/uncage.  There's too much automation for my taste. Lots of times I just want the radar to leave the heat seeker alone 😉   The easiest way to do this (for me) is with weapon select switch.  Go to guns then back to Aim9.  The radar will drop the lock and might show bricks + AACQ cross.  No soft lock...  as long as you don't press the 'pinky',  HACQ or any other ACM mode.  Then I simply point the seeker at the target, sometimes at extreme angles,  lock the seeker on target with 'cage' switch and BAM!

I'm not saying this is the proper mech in the real jet but it works here quite well.  BTW, I find the weapon select switch very useful in many scenarios to 'tidy' things up. 😄