Watch YouTube tutorials while in game?

II.JG1_Vonrd

It's difficult to try and remember what is said on a YouTube tutorial once I'm back in the game. Is there some way to switch back and forth from the 'tube to the game and back while in VR? Specifically WMR Reverb G2... (yeah, I know all about Windows about to brick it). Virtual desktop? Any other solution? Many of the DCS modules are lacking complete tutorial missions. The F-16 for example, which I'm currently trying to learn, has nothing on Radar. The one on the AIM9 just says to RTFM (in more polite terms... but still the same thing 🤣.

All the reasons why manuals are better to have on hand than videos. 

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

27 minutes ago, Slippa said:

Failing that you need a remote eyeball.

🤣  Like this?

200.webp

I'm looking at the Quest 3 because of the passthrough. A friend just got one and says that it could probably be done looking at the 'Tube displayed on a monitor. I have 2 monitors and 2 PCs so I could display the 'Tube on a monitor on the second machine while in VR / Game on the other machine.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

All the reasons why manuals are better to have on hand than videos. 

But that doesn't address the issue. I have all the official manuals as well as Chuck's but taking the VR headset off is a PITA especially because I have prescription lenses for the VR and I'm blind as a bat without my glasses.

Module makers should provide a more complete list of tutorials. Yeah, it's a drain on resources for them but I reserve my right to bitch.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, II.JG1_Vonrd said:

But that doesn't address the issue. I have all the official manuals as well as Chuck's but taking the VR headset off is a PITA especially because I have prescription lenses for the VR and I'm blind as a bat without my glasses.

Module makers should provide a more complete list of tutorials. Yeah, it's a drain on resources for them but I reserve my right to bitch.

Well you don’t have to train in VR. You really can’t beat manuals for effective learning. Tutorial missions can never be as complete as the manual and you can more easily pace yourself from a book than scrolling back and forth on a video. 
Plus tutorial mission that just highlights buttons for you to push aren’t actively engaging, it’s sorta just handholding. I honestly don’t find them that useful. 

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

18 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

Well you don’t have to train in VR.

Unfortunately, that's the case due to my particular set-up. My HOTAS is connected to the machine that is dedicated to VR. I can view DCS on the other machine but can't control anything. 

BTW, as a mechanic  for 25 years (as well as a private pilot) in RL, I wouldn't dream of doing a complex operational check without a printed copy (or later on, a laptop or Ipad) of the pertinent section of the Maintenance Manual with me in the cockpit, even if it's a procedure that I'm well familiar with. But, that's right there with you, not a separate entity while you're in a VR bubble.

32 minutes ago, II.JG1_Vonrd said:

I respect that but I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. Difrnt strokes for difrnt folks...

I guess I find one isn’t really a substitute for the other. You couldn’t learn a module from tutorial missions alone. 

46 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

You couldn’t learn a module from tutorial missions alone. 

True and I don't expect that, but the learning curve is steep. They help to get past the early stumbles and open the door to learning more of the finer points. In the F-16 I'm currently trying to learn the radar (I don't have much experience in the other similar US planes either). There are about 70 pages on radar in Chucks guide. Going back and forth between the manual and the game is frustrating enough that I'm giving up for tonight after about 3 hours. A tutorial would have gotten me past the basics. The tutorial on the UFC was very helpful and I have a basic handle on that system. Why is there a blank in the F-16 tutorials which jump from the UFC to AIM 9s with nothing on radar? Doesn't make any sense to me.

3 hours ago, II.JG1_Vonrd said:

It's difficult to try and remember what is said on a YouTube tutorial once I'm back in the game. Is there some way to switch back and forth from the 'tube to the game and back while in VR? Specifically WMR Reverb G2... (yeah, I know all about Windows about to brick it). Virtual desktop? Any other solution? Many of the DCS modules are lacking complete tutorial missions. The F-16 for example, which I'm currently trying to learn, has nothing on Radar. The one on the AIM9 just says to RTFM (in more polite terms... but still the same thing 🤣.

Just as an aside, Windows aren't about to brick your G2, well, not until 2026 anyway.

I'd suggest Open Kneeboard.

image.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz, 3792 Mhz, 64Gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090,

CONTROLS: VPC Rotor TCS Base, VPC Hawk-60 Collective Grip, VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base, VPC Constellation ALPHA Prime [R], Thrustmaster Warthog – Throttle, Thrustmaster TPR - Pendular Rudder Pedals, Honeycomb Alpha Flight Control (For Anubis C-130 Hercules), Meta Quest Pro.

SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11,

6 hours ago, II.JG1_Vonrd said:

🤣  Like this?

200.webp

I'm looking at the Quest 3 because of the passthrough. A friend just got one and says that it could probably be done looking at the 'Tube displayed on a monitor. I have 2 monitors and 2 PCs so I could display the 'Tube on a monitor on the second machine while in VR / Game on the other machine.

😁.

Hope you get it sorted.

On 2/16/2024 at 10:33 PM, II.JG1_Vonrd said:

Well I used to do this with NMS, and watching a youtube video whilst getting a stargate coordinate.. I don't remember for sure if I just had the youtube video onscreen in VR whilst paused or I think I was able to play and watch while in VR. I think the trick is too run in Borderless Fullscreen and not fullscreen..

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

3 hours ago, Maddaawg said:

I think you have to avoid upgrading to 24H2, don't you?

Yes, staying on the 23H2 release will work (current one). Microsoft won't force the 24H2 upon us for a couple of years yet.