New to VR need initial setup advice

lazduc

Current specs.  Quest3, have link cable, game charge head strap, facial interface, New still in boxes.  Want to finally set up the quest3.  Computer is I9-9900K, Win11, Nvidia2080 TI w/11gb vid mem; 32gb ram, ssd's.  

As stated complete nube to VR.  Only software on pc is OS, and DCS 2.87 w/ all maps, most aircraft, helis, and no mods.  Just DL

the latest upgrades for DCS, stayed on 2.8 stable.  I have not proceeded as there is numerous ideas for setup.

I will only play single user.  What sort of controllers needed?   What software is needed for Quest3?

Thanks for your time.

Laz (Just turned 80 so I am almost outta time.)

• Like 1

Start with oculus software as it's relatively easy. Make sure the resolution slider is set to max and set FPS to 72. Connect via link cable and then launch DCS and see how it looks. Keep DCS settings at whatever you use currently for now. You will need to change some of these later. 

The only "extra software" I would suggest using at this stage is oculus tray tool. This allows you to control a lot of the hidden settings.Then you can start the tweaking process. There are other apps you can add later such as open XR toolkit and XRnecksafer. To start with keep it as simple as possible. Good luck. 

5800x3drtx407064Gb 3200: 1Tb NVME: Pico 4: Rift S: Quest Pro

Thank you.  You summed it up perfectly.  It was everything I needed.  I will let you know how its progressing.  If you wouldn't mind,

I have several inquires not relating to VR specifically, which I will do in personal email.

Laz

• Like 1

Good on ya @lazduc.. My father 80 yr too, has pretty much same hardware config as yours. AMD 5800x3D/ 2080TI,

With HP G2 VR, he play civilian sim eveyday.

At 80Yr, he has stronger VR leg than i am.

He has no problem wearing VR headset for hours, so much so he has to get alarm clock to remind him to stop.

I think flightsim is very healty for the mind, I read some studies shown that active mind reduce risk of develop of dementia.

2 hours ago, lazduc said:

I have several inquires not relating to VR specifically, which I will do in personal email.

Happy to help if I can. 

5800x3drtx407064Gb 3200: 1Tb NVME: Pico 4: Rift S: Quest Pro

Thanks for all the encouraging words.  I do try and stay active.  I drive a Challenger Scat Pac.  Live by myself, wife passed on 2019 after 30years marriage.

Gets real lonely, flying fills up that emptiness.  

Laz

• Like 2

3 hours ago, lazduc said:

Thanks for all the encouraging words.  I do try and stay active.  I drive a Challenger Scat Pac.  Live by myself, wife passed on 2019 after 30years marriage.

Gets real lonely, flying fills up that emptiness.  

Laz

Laz, have you consider joining a squadron, I am sure they would welcome you with open arm.

If anyone there knowing a casual squadron, that can recommended to Laz?