DCS Fluttering when flying

Laika007

While flying DCS, F-18 in VR, the program freezes up and "flusters" to the point of not being able to use DCS.

I am using Windows 10, GTX 2070, 16 GB RAM, plenty of hard drive space. I am using DCS flight through Steam VR. I have a VALVE Index headset. Using DCS version 2.16.

I have re-set all controls several times, MSAA is at 2X and I have tried 4X.

Not sure why this is happening, any assistance would be grateful.

it's quite likely your hardware is not up to the challenge of driving a Valve Index .. and that either a CPU, GPU or even memory bottle neck is causing these "flutters" , i would suggest dropping dowen a number of steps , try the default VR settings to begin with and go from there... I would certainly recommend upgrading to 32GB of RAM , you don't say what CPU you have 

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

If you're back on 2.16 and having that big of issues I'd say your easy solution (unfortunately) is hardware upgrade.  Not sure I'd bother with the RAM upgrade unless you're doing more upgrades than that.

Thanks for the recommendations. Interestingly, I have used my VALVE index many times on this DCS...thought it may have been the version that I am on. As for processors, it is showing

eight Intel(R)Core(TM) i7-9700 CPU @ 3.00Hz

Lower your settings see if you have the same problem... Start with the default vr settings in dcs

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Your CPU is not especially powerful, and the GPU is downright wimpy by VR standards. The 2070 is inferior in performance to the 1080ti, and has inadequate VRAM. 16GB RAM is also borderline for VR. I've used these settings, but performance was meh at the best of times.

Try lowering the textures and CPU-heavy settings to see if it helps. Do not expect to have everything maxed out on that Dell.

16gb is borderline for even non VR DCS, especially on multiplayer. Made the upgrade to 32gb of ram a few months back on my older system, 1080 + i7 8700k, the performance difference was huge in regards to freezing and stuttering (Not FPS to a noticeable degree however). For sure that would be my first go to in this situation.

Very interesting, in communicating with DCS support, they suggested having the page size set to 35 GB. When I went in to check this, operating RAM was set to 16000 and the other set to 35Gb. I changed them both to 35 GB. This may have happened when I upgraded the OS to Windows 11……..go figure. I went back to Windows 10 but, now I know what I need to do it I upgrade to Windows 11. 

thanks again for all the assistance. 

• 1 month later...

Since last patch DCS isn't right in VR , very sluggish. Playing catch up in frames , a upgrade to 32gb of ram will help you, but you won't see increase in frames. That GTX 1080 Ti will help . More vram the  better in DCS  . 2.9 . Also look at AMD cards . However DCS is pushing for Nivida . 

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .