Ghost images?

Go to solution Solved by silverdevil,

I recently started playing the MT version on a regular basis. Overall it's an improvement. One thing that I've noticed and can not find a setting to make it go away is some ghost type images when I move my head. See pictures. I've noticed this on all aircraft I fly. The image in the examples I've posted are of the P-47 cockpit frame. The lines are coming from the frame when I move my head.

Ghosting2.jpg

Ghosting.jpg

AMD Ryzen 9 5900 - AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT - 64GB 3200 - Win 11 - 2 TB SSD (game drive) - Quest 3.

2 minutes ago, ddc196 said:

I recently started playing the MT version on a regular basis. Overall it's an improvement. One thing that I've noticed and can not find a setting to make it go away is some ghost type images when I move my head. See pictures. I've noticed this on all aircraft I fly. The image in the examples I've posted are of the P-47 cockpit frame. The lines are coming from the frame when I move my head.

hello. unfortunately i cannot see what you are talking about. can you post your DCS.LOG? the video settings will be listed. sounds like AA issues.

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

With pleasure.

Edit: What I am talking about are lines next to the cockpit frame that are just to the right. They originate where the rear sliding cockpit portion would connect to the front cockpit frame when it is closed. The lines are easiest to see when looking at the grass just right of the cockpit frame. These lines appear in many moving situations, the yoke stick moving, adjusting the throttle or collective, the helmet hook on the AH-64, All types of cockpit related movement cause them. It's persistent in all aircraft. 

dcs.log

Edited by ddc196

AMD Ryzen 9 5900 - AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT - 64GB 3200 - Win 11 - 2 TB SSD (game drive) - Quest 3.

• Solution
1 hour ago, ddc196 said:

With pleasure.

Edit: What I am talking about are lines next to the cockpit frame that are just to the right. They originate where the rear sliding cockpit portion would connect to the front cockpit frame when it is closed. The lines are easiest to see when looking at the grass just right of the cockpit frame. These lines appear in many moving situations, the yoke stick moving, adjusting the throttle or collective, the helmet hook on the AH-64, All types of cockpit related movement cause them. It's persistent in all aircraft. 

as i suspected. the effect is caused by TAA or FSR or a combination of both. visual artefacts but better performance. try DLAA instead. FSR with TAA will cause ghosting.

have a look at this post. 

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

Well, I've been seriously considering going back to an Nvidia card. Now I have a compelling reason. I found that if I turn off upscaling and use MSAA again, the ghosting goes away. The problem with that is the shimmer is much more noticeable, frame rate is not as good and I get a bit of stuttering. I guess for now I'll have to pick my poison, and I think that will be the ghosting.

• Like 1

On 2/19/2024 at 5:15 PM, ddc196 said:

Well, I've been seriously considering going back to an Nvidia card. Now I have a compelling reason. I found that if I turn off upscaling and use MSAA again, the ghosting goes away. The problem with that is the shimmer is much more noticeable, frame rate is not as good and I get a bit of stuttering. I guess for now I'll have to pick my poison, and I think that will be the ghosting.

This is not shimer but aliasing, also MSAA in Deferred rendering needs a lot of VRAM and I guess you're getting out of VRAM with MSAA, and yes FSR, DLSS and TAA all use temporal based anti aliasing that will induce ghosting and shimmering aswell as a loss of visual clarity 

Edited by Loukuins

My Setup : i5-4690 3.50GHz + 24GB RAM DDR3 1600MHz + MSI RTX 2060 Super Ventus OC + 2 SSD + 4 HDD + Oculus Rift CV1 + TM T.16000M Hotas

Super Etendard for Life !

On 2/19/2024 at 1:15 PM, ddc196 said:

DLAA provides the best results against ghosting although still features it while being a temporal anti aliasing solution. Upscalling solutions such as FSR or DLSS features heavier ghosting than DLAA.

DLAA performance equals better than MSAA at 2x with sharper image and less shimmer/jagged edges than MSAA 4x.