HUD - bigger symbols and more blur

YoYo

I have the impression that after today's patch something happened to the data displayed on the HUD, they became larger and more blurrier. I only fly in VR and it looked better before. me. Opinions?

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Here is screenshot from VR.

Previously, everything fit in the HUD, now all the data does not fit, the symbols are much larger, the lines also have a certain.

I notice that someone noticed it too in 2D but in VR is a lot more visible.

image.png

• Like 1

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Yes. From a functionality point of view, the new HUD can make it impossible to read all the necessary symbology at the same time. At certain headings for example, you can't see either of the two bearings because they are too far outside of the HUD.

The old one worked better.

21 hours ago, VikingSail said:

Yes. From a functionality point of view, the new HUD can make it impossible to read all the necessary symbology at the same time. At certain headings for example, you can't see either of the two bearings because they are too far outside of the HUD.

The old one worked better.

@MYSE1234 yes, there really seems to be something wrong with the lateral scaling or FOV of the new HUD, not only in VR , but in 2D also.

Take a look at this HUD picture from a real Viggen: (taken from this youtube video at 3:25.

nullimage.pngnullnull

null

It easily shows the four  5 degree +-pitch value numbers at the upper&lower left/right corner all simulateanously in its field of view. There is even a little more viewing room on the left where "17" course value moves into view.

In DCS now after the big update , depending on viewpoint , you are lucky to get two (if any at all) of the 5 degree pitch marker values into view and then only on one side, usually none of them are within field of view:

image.png

Also in level flight, only the upper 5degree plus numbers are barely in view , while the lower ones are completely cut off:

image.png

So the HUD field of view seems to be too narrow in DCS or stretched laterally. These screens where taken in 2D, latest DCS version.

Kind Regards

Snappy

Edited by Snappy
  • Like 2

vor 19 Stunden schrieb Snappy:

image.png

It easily shows the four  5 degree +-pitch value numbers at the upper&lower left/right corner all simulateanously in its field of view. There is even a little more viewing room on the left where "17" course value moves into view.

We don't know the placement of the camera. It could be that the camera is placed directly behind the HUD and therefore you can see a lot more than where you would be able to see from a normal sitting position (i.e. leaning against the back of the seat).

But the argument from the PoV of the usability of a product still stands. We don't necessarily want everything to be 1:1 accurate. Because it is a game product. It is about making the general audience happy with the implementation of simulating on-board systems.

3 hours ago, VikingSail said:

We don't know the placement of the camera. It could be that the camera is placed directly behind the HUD and therefore you can see a lot more than where you would be able to see from a normal sitting position (i.e. leaning against the back of the seat).

But the argument from the PoV of the usability of a product still stands. We don't necessarily want everything to be 1:1 accurate. Because it is a game product. It is about making the general audience happy with the implementation of simulating on-board systems.

I do not think this is a camera position issue. Take a look at the real world AJS 37 manual DEL 1 KAP 1, Chapter 17, the HUD/CI section,   has quite a few pictures of the HUD images , amongst others these:

image.png

image.png

You can see, in level or almost level (referring to pitch ) flight, all 4 5 degree pitch line value numbers are in the field of view.

It doesn't make sense to put pictures in the pilot manual that the pilot can only expect to see with his nose touching the HUD combiner glass.

They would use pictures that show the image as the pilots will actually see them from their normal head position looking at the HUD.

The manual can be found here , the pictures above is on pages 270& 271 (in a PDF viewer , not the manual page numbering):

Edited by Snappy

14 minutes ago, Snappy said:

I disagree, don't think this is a camera position issue. Take a look at the real world AJS 37 manual DEL 1 KAP 1,  the HUD section  has quite a few pictures of the HUD images , amongst others this:

img.

really don't think they put pictures in the pilot manual that the pilot can only expect to see with his nose touching the HUD glass. They would use pictures that show the things the pilots see from their normal head position looking at the HUD.

The manual can be found here , the picture above is on page 271(in a PDF viewer , not the manual page numbering):

It is the camera position. Here's an image that show what the pilot would roughly see, from few pages after the image you posted. One circle for each eye. IMO the current HUD is quite generous in what you see.
There will be some further changes to the placement of some elements though.
image.png

Edited by MYSE1234
  • Thanks 1

Viggen is love. Viggen is life.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7-10700K @ 5GHz | RTX 2070 OC | 32GB 3200MHz RAM |

34 minutes ago, MYSE1234 said:

It is the camera position. Here's an image that show what the pilot would roughly see. One circle for each eye. IMO the current HUD is quite generous in what you see.
There will some small be changes though.
image.png

Hi Myse, ses, I read some more in that manual.Seems you are right. I stand corrected .

But maybe you can understand that I find it a bit confusing, their explanation of total field of view vs effective field of view:

If the pilot can only ever see a 9 degree cone of the HUD image with each eye, which is 18degrees total, minus some overlap between the two eyes , why even design the system to project so much more symbology off to each side in a total 30 degree FOV ,( so almost twice the actual effective FOV) , which is never seen with the eyes under normal circumstances? 
Or I'm maybe misunderstanding something or it gets lost in the translation to english. 

Anyway, thank you very much for your continued work on the Viggen in DCS!

Edited by Snappy

The visible area 

25 minutes ago, Snappy said:

Hi Myse, ses, I read some more in that manual.Seems you are right. I stand corrected .

But maybe you can understand that I find it a bit confusing, their explanation of total field of view vs effective field of view:

If the pilot can only ever see a 9 degree cone of the HUD image with each eye, which is 18degrees total, minus some overlap between the two eyes , why even design the system to project so much more symbology off to each side in a total 30 degree FOV ,( so almost twice the actual effective FOV) , which is never seen with the eyes under normal circumstances? 
Or I'm maybe misunderstanding something or it gets lost in the translation to english. 

Anyway, thank you very much for your continued work on the Viggen in DCS!

The visible area moves when you move your head, and also with seat height, and with the glass position. The symbology is only 20x10 degrees, so the 30 deg total is plenty.
You can install this to get a better idea of what it more should look like. 🙂
https://forum.dcs.world/topic/287165-realistic-hud-mod/?do=findComment&comment=4886842

Viggen is love. Viggen is life.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7-10700K @ 5GHz | RTX 2070 OC | 32GB 3200MHz RAM |