TGP logic changed?

Furiz
Go to solution Solved by Raptor9,

Noticed now that if I use VIS mode with JDAM or DTOS with GBU-12 and designate some target then switch back to PRE / CCRP it slews my TGP to STPT,

it didn't do that before, something changed or it got bugged?

• ED Team
  • Solution

This was a deliberate change. The DTOS, VIS, and EO-VIS sub-modes will no longer incur a slew to the Navigation cursor. Meaning that entering post-designate in these weapon delivery sub-modes should no longer cause the steerpoints to become offset. After further research and seeking some SME feedback, it became apparent that designating the "Target" location with the TD Box did not mean the TGT sighting point (like in CCRP or other Pre-planned sub-modes), but rather it was simply designating a physical target location on the ground, since sighting points are not used in Visual sub-modes like DTOS, VIS, etc.

This small but significant distinction is what led to the correction of this behavior, and is what the following entry in the changelog was referring to.

image.png

• Thanks 2

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

16 hours ago, Rac3rX said:

Does this also include the TGP not ground stabilizing to a designated SPI, in VIS mode? I can no longer SOI the TGP in VIS mode without the TGP drifting away.

I noticed the drifting too, might be a bug.

Btw TMS AFT with WPN page SOI stabilizes TGP.

Edited by Furiz

DTOS designation does not properly create an SPI (area/point track) for the TGP.

Steps to recreate:

1. Set A-G.
  2. Set MFD left to TGP
  3. Select bombs
  4. Set DTOS
  5. Set HMCS to SOI
  6. TMS UP for 0.5 seconds to enable TARGET DESIGNATE (TD)
  7. TMS UP to designate ground target - TGP will stabilize on target, but it is not smooth (tracking glitches every second)
  8. Set TGP SOI - TGP is no longer ground stabilized and is caged to the last perspective from the aircraft to the designated target.

Edited by Sn0wMan4

So its VIS and DTOS with the same issue...

I think I found something else, though. While trying to set a markpoint (using VIS), it'll auto SOI to the weapon page if you don't let the TGP point track, before the TMS up. An area track should be a valid capture especially if you're doing SEAD, and you're marking a SAM contrail before diving to safety.

F-16_TGP_VIS_bug.trk

• 1 month later...

I understand that if you designate something with the TGP in PRE mode an offset is created. My problem is I cannot marry up the steerpoint and the TGP again afterwards in PRE mode however many times I press CZ. Something else I need to do?

Pressing CZ ini NAV mode will reset the steerpoint to the correct place but the TGP never points to the steerpoint again unless I change delivery modes. This means essentially I can drop things in PRE mode once, since I can never get the TGP to look at a steerpoint or HMCS designation again it's almost impossible to deliver something in PRE again. 

I'm sure this is just operator error but I canoot figure it out. 

With the price of ammunition these days do not expect a warning shot.

2 hours ago, RogueRunner said:

I understand that if you designate something with the TGP in PRE mode an offset is created. My problem is I cannot marry up the steerpoint and the TGP again afterwards in PRE mode however many times I press CZ. Something else I need to do?

Pressing CZ ini NAV mode will reset the steerpoint to the correct place but the TGP never points to the steerpoint again unless I change delivery modes. This means essentially I can drop things in PRE mode once, since I can never get the TGP to look at a steerpoint or HMCS designation again it's almost impossible to deliver something in PRE again. 

I'm sure this is just operator error but I canoot figure it out. 

Yes, it is user error.

Are you trying to CZ with TMS AFT while TPod is masked? currently if masked it wont reset to STPT.

Something that caught me off is that steerpoints have an altitude. The TGP will set to that altitude. You can't snap back down to earth unless you jiggle the cursor on the AG radar.

Speaking of radar, I have noticed that the FCR will maintain its offset (with no SPI created) for a given steerpoint, even if you cycle to another steerpoint and back to the current one. I've found that I need to CZ the radar and the TGP. Is there a master "zero" function to wipe out all of the sensors?

-Ryan