Can someone explain the new datalink "feature" to me?

Go to solution Solved by Lord Vader,

So, starting the plane, I don't turn MIDS to on until after alignment and set INS to NAV.  I look at the DLINK page in the DED and GPS Time and NTR are still off, Sync is course somehow and the datalink seems to only kinda work.  I fiddle with the NTR and GPS time off and on and eventually it shows time and sync FINE and I see more stuff on the DL.  Am I doing it wrong?

• ED Team

Hi, did you see this note in the changelog?

Fixed: Datalink doesn't work after cold start. When starting or restarting the aircraft, the MIDS switch must first be set to OFF. Only set to ON after the GPS switch has been set to ON for 60 seconds and the DED TIME page displays GPS SYSTEM.

Let me know if you are having an issue beyond that. Thanks. 

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

I wasn't able to replicate the need to do the procedure in the changelog.

It takes 3 minutes for the TIME page to go to GPS SYSTEM and not 60 seconds.

I can also turn both GPS and MIDS on at the same time with seemingly no consequences, so I am unsure of what the purpose of the changelog procedure is. I can then go to DLINK and press a number key to switch GPS time on and the Sync goes to fine.

17 hours ago, NineLine said:

Hi, did you see this note in the changelog?

Fixed: Datalink doesn't work after cold start. When starting or restarting the aircraft, the MIDS switch must first be set to OFF. Only set to ON after the GPS switch has been set to ON for 60 seconds and the DED TIME page displays GPS SYSTEM.

Let me know if you are having an issue beyond that. Thanks. 

Yes, still doesn't seem to work right.  Thought maybe I was missing something.

8 hours ago, Ivandrov said:

I wasn't able to replicate the need to do the procedure in the changelog.

I can also turn both GPS and MIDS on at the same time with seemingly no consequences, so I am unsure of what the purpose of the changelog procedure is. I can then go to DLINK and press a number key to switch GPS time on and the Sync goes to fine.

Hmmm.

• ED Team
2 hours ago, SickSidewinder9 said:

You seem to lose a lot in translation when I write.

I am not sure what this means. Are you once again insulting me right after asking for help?

Supply a track of what you are doing and maybe someone can help you. If you want to continue the insults, that is your choice. 

• Like 1

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

8 hours ago, SickSidewinder9 said:

No, I asked you to explain it to me since the change note doesn't really seem to capture it.  You seem to lose a lot in translation when I write.

You don't seem to have clued into this yet, but the way you come across in your posts (whether you mean to or not) really discourages anyone from taking the time to help you.  I can say personally that when I see your name on a post I'm not likely to bother giving you help (even when I have the answer) due to your attitude across a lot of posts.  As the old saying goes, honey attracts a lot more bees than vinegar.  Just something to think about.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Ivandrov said:

On my tests it takes two minutes from switching GPS on to seeing ”GPS SYSTEM” on TIME page. Where did it take you three minutes? Or did you perhaps look at the jet time, which will likely jump ahead a minute or so when GPS time is synced? Look at the mission time on F10 or info bar instead. I’m just curious if there are differences in different locations or such, and does it take longer in some conditions. I tested in Caucasus and Syria SP and MP. 

22 hours ago, Ivandrov said:

Sounds like as a consequence of switching MIDS LVT on too early, you have to fiddle with the DED pages, just like the workaround with the bug since previous patch? 🙂

If you wait for the GPS time to sync first, you don’t have to do anything on the DED pages. 

Edited by itn
Typos

24 minutes ago, itn said:

On my tests it takes two minutes from switching GPS on to seeing ”GPS SYSTEM” on TIME page. Where did it take you three minutes? Or did you perhaps look at the jet time, which will likely jump ahead a minute or so when GPS time is synced? Look at the mission time on F10 or info bar instead. I’m just curious if there are differences in different locations or such, and does it take longer in some conditions. I tested in Caucasus and Syria SP and MP. 

Sounds like as a consequence of switching MIDS LVT on too early, you have to fiddle with the DED pages, just like the workaround with the bug since previous patch? 🙂

If you wait for the GPS time to sync first, you don’t have to do anything on the DED pages. 

No, the fiddling with the DED pages happens regardless. The outcome of waiting for GPS SYSTEM vs just switching on MIDS immediately is the same. Datalink information shows up on the HSD and the DLINK page says GPS time is off with a coarse sync.

Good catch on the time jumping forward in the F-16 when it switches over. But the original point still stands. 2 minutes 10 seconds is not the 60 seconds that was in the changelog.

Edited by Ivandrov

14 minutes ago, Ivandrov said:

No, the fiddling with the DED pages happens regardless. The outcome of waiting for GPS SYSTEM vs just switching on MIDS immediately is the same.

I’m not seeing it. Might test some more. Post a track?

14 minutes ago, Ivandrov said:

But the original point still stands. 2 minutes 10 seconds is not the 60 seconds that was in the changelog.

True, also why I mentioned the 2 minutes, as it’s longer than what was mentioned. Granted, I haven’t tested extensively what happens if you switch LVT on after 60 secs but before ”GPS” text is shown on TIME page.

4 minutes ago, itn said:

I’m not seeing it. Might test some more. Post a track?

True, also why I mentioned the 2 minutes, as it’s longer than what was mentioned. Granted, I haven’t tested extensively what happens if you switch LVT on after 60 secs but before ”GPS” text is shown on TIME page.

I should say that fiddling with the DLINK page doesn't seem to actually do anything either. It's just a word change in the page with no obvious effect.

What are you not seeing?

Edited by Ivandrov

27 minutes ago, Ivandrov said:

I should say that fiddling with the DLINK page doesn't seem to actually do anything either. It's just a word change in the page with no obvious effect.

What are you not seeing?

Disregard, I misread your previous post. Your very first post seems correct in all aspects but the time it takes for GPS to sync (which we already discussed).

At least with AI units (using an AI unit's STN as #2) It seems there are no ill effects with powering up GPS and MIDS LVT at the same time. Datalink apparently works the same and you see the #2 as blue on DL. Will test with humans later, but so far I can confirm the only ill effect is the GPS time off on DLNK page, and that one seems cosmetic.

On 2/25/2024 at 12:30 AM, Ivandrov said:

What are you not seeing?

It seems to make a difference for me.

I still haven't seen a comment on what it should look like when and whether this is a realism thing, or a workaround for something in the game.  "wait 2 minutes" like the changelog says doesn't tell me much.

• ED Team

Hi all

@Ivandrov and @itn

I believe the DED Datalink GPS time and Sync may have an issue, however working as it is. I have sent this internally for analysis. 

@Suffer_Player I use norm alignment the datalink is not showing anything

When performing a Normal Alignment, you need to confirm (or insert) the current Latitude and Longitude coordinates on the DED, which is something you don't do on your track. You will see datalink contacts when performing a stored alignment, because in that mode there is no need to confirm coordinates.

• Thanks 1

dcsvader.png
Esquadra 701 - DCS Portugal - Discord

• ED Team
  • Solution

Hi again.

After a review of the procedures regarding this particular item, we are going to need some time to refine this particular system. So we ask you to be patient, for now the Datalink will work following the procedure stated on the changelog. In a future update this will be refined further.

Thank you for your collaboration. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

dcsvader.png
Esquadra 701 - DCS Portugal - Discord

On 2/28/2024 at 1:40 AM, Lord Vader said:

Hi again.

After a review of the procedures regarding this particular item, we are going to need some time to refine this particular system. So we ask you to be patient, for now the Datalink will work following the procedure stated on the changelog. In a future update this will be refined further.

Thank you for your collaboration. 

Aha. Thanks.  Was hoping for some kind of explanation, and I guess this counts as one.  I thought something seemed off.  Thank you, devs.