How to use Super Carriers if the host does not own the module?

Hi,

I´ve got a question regarding the SC Module:

From what I´ve read in this forum, the host does not need to own the SC module for a client that does own it to use the new ships. But when my friend (who does not own the SC module) hosts a mission I made that starts me on the 2017 Kuznetsov, I am spawned in the air above it, as if I don´t own the SC module.

I have read in a different thread that the host has to install the SC Module to make it work for other players even if he does not own it via "bin\DCS_updater.exe install SUPERCARRIER".

We are both using the steam version so there is no DCS_updater.exe. I already tried sending him the SC module, which is correctly recognized by the game (and causes an expected message about not owning the module when starting the game), but I can still not use the SC ships as a spawn if my friend is hosting the mission.

TLDR:

Non-dedicated server host does not own the SC module. How can we make it work for clients owning the SC module while using the Steam version of the game?

Edited by J-man

Just now, J-man said:

From what I´ve read in this forum, the host does not need to own the SC module for a client that does own it to use the new ships. But when my friend (who does not own the SC module) hosts a mission I made that starts me on the 2017 Kuznetsov, I am spawned in the air above it, as if I don´t own the SC module.

If the host is a computer running the Dedicated Server version of DCS, then that PC does not need licenses for Supercarrier, WW2 Assets, nor any Map .... but that does not apply to using the normal version of DCS as host for a multiplayer game, its only for the dedicated Server version:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/world/server/

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Thanks for the reply! The thread I read this in is this one: 

An ED employee explicitly states that it can be done with a client-hosted mission, as long as the module is installed... But maybe the "--noRender" option he mentions is a hard requirement for it to work, rather than for the game to not "complain" on startup. Does anyone happen to know if the dedicated server can share a directory with the regular game to save hard drive space? Having to install the huge game twice just to let me use the carrier that most of my group does not own anyway would be a bad tradeoff for our hosting player.

Edited by J-man

8 minutes ago, J-man said:

An ED employee explicitly states that it can be done with a client-hosted mission, as long as the module is installed.

That's not what the ED member says: "If you're going to use dedicated server you'll be able to use without any issue, if you're using full client installation with --no-render --server option, your server doesn't allow any player to use it"  .... ie: you can use Dedicated Server with no issue, but a full client install will not work without the supercarrier license.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

3 minutes ago, Rudel_chw said:

That's not what the ED member says: "If you're going to use dedicated server you'll be able to use without any issue, if you're using full client installation with --no-render --server option, your server doesn't allow any player to use it"  .... ie: you can use Dedicated Server with no issue, but a full client install will not work without the supercarrier license.

That's not the ED employee I meant. What you quoted is what OP believed to be the issue. Look at what c0ff responds in the second post:

"you have to install the module. It is included in the dedicated install, but not on the regular one.

bin\DCS_updater.exe install SUPERCARRIER

DCS will complain when run w/o --norender option, if you don't own the module, though."

The way I understand this is that c0ff says it is possible to host SC Content as a client, but the module has to be installed manually via DCS_updater.exe, while the dedicated server comes with it installed by default. But this might REQUIRE the --norender option, making it useless as a workaround for my case anyway...

• Like 1

Seems purchasing the SC is the best workaround, it is still on sale at 40% discount ... or you can re-use an older PC as a DCS Server, that way you would not need any licenses.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Rudel_chw said:

Seems purchasing the SC is the best workaround, it is still on sale at 40% discount ... or you can re-use an older PC as a DCS Server, that way you would not need any licenses.

Thanks for your replies. I will check how small the dedicated server can be, maybe we can symlink game files from the regular install to save HDD space...

It´s too bad I can´t host (Dual Stack Light w/o ipv4 Port Acces) and I don´t think my friend who owns 0 carrier airplanes wants to get SC anytime soon 🙃.

On 2/25/2024 at 7:26 PM, J-man said:

Thanks for your replies. I will check how small the dedicated server can be, maybe we can symlink game files from the regular install to save HDD space...

It´s too bad I can´t host (Dual Stack Light w/o ipv4 Port Acces) and I don´t think my friend who owns 0 carrier airplanes wants to get SC anytime soon 🙃.

Link dedicated folder to your client installation is generally a really bad idea.
If you want create missions with super carrier, just host them on dedicated server, Install on it's own folder and don't mess the things with your client.
This is the best options. If you need more space, just add a cheap sata ssd to do that.

If the pc it's the same (and typically already this is a bad idea for 4+ pilots ) you can consider to buy super carrier and host it from your client, rather than buy new disk.

• Like 1

FlighRIG => CPU: RyZen 5900x | RAM: 64GB Corsair 3000Mhz | GPU: nVIDIA RTX 4090 FE | OS Storage: SSD NVMe Samsung 850 Pro 512GB, DCS Storage: SSD NVMe Sabrent 1TB | Device: Multipurpose-UFC, VirPil T-50, TM WARTHOG Throttle, TrackHat, MFD Cougar with screen.

Our Servers => [ITA] Banshee | Krasnodar - PvE | PersianConquest PvE Live Map&Stats | Syria Liberation PvE Conquest

Support us on twitch subscribing with amazon prime account linked, it's free!