F-16C Yaw/Side Slip Angle Limited ( knife edge)

PanicMan15

DCS Version: DCS Standalone 2.9.3.51704
NO MODS

Hello All.

After talking with some friends we have discovered that the yaw/side slip angle in the Viper doesn't seem to be matching up to real life. So naturally I went on the hunt on the forums to see if there were any bugs reported about this issue and I was happy to report there was bug report about this issue but the issue seemed to be dismissed rather quickly and said it was correct-as-is. After further searching I was lead to another bug report that was listed as "Fixed" on January 9th, 2023. After jumping into DCS and confirming the issue is still there, I have decided to report this problem and put a little more pressure to see if it gets fixed.

To describe the issue at hand when you go into knife edge flight typically around sea level you can maintain altitude no problem. We are of course talking about a clean F-16. When I tried this in DCS, I found that no matter what airspeed I was at I could not maintain altitude and the nose slowly sunk. In the previous post I refereed to above, it was stated to maintain altitude in knife edge flight you must be at 85 degrees of bank. So I went back and tested this out with no success. It stoked my curiosity so I went digging and found a Thunderbird HUD footage of them doing the same maneuver at around 10,000 feet. I noticed that the bore sight cross in the HUD was able to maintain 10 degrees of side slip angle. After looking back at the track I confirmed that the DCS F-16 bore sight cross barely even gets to 5 degrees side slip angle.

I'm assuming there is something either in the FLCS laws that is preventing the yaw angle to get past 5 degrees or it could be not enough side lift on the body. I came to the conclusion it could not be the yaw rate limiter because the angle of attack is no where near where it begins to limit. There could be some false reading as-well causing the yaw rate to be limited. Either way it has been around 2 years since this bug was first reported and I hope the team takes a closer look at this. I have included a video side by side comparison as-well as the raw track file.

Cheers, Panic

VIDEO EVIDENCE LINK:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WGqNw99EhY

F-16_Side_Lift.trk

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

• ED Team

I have asked the team to review and have created a report for them

thank you 

• Like 4

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team

Hi, 

just to keep you updated it has been resolved internally and it will be in a future update. 

Please note it is important when performing that the aircraft is above 0.7 mach

thank you 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• BIGNEWY changed the title to F-16C Yaw/Side Slip Angle Limited ( knife edge)