Tomcat Air to Air Refueling basket question

Bushwood

I got a question about how the tanker basket interacts when connected.  I've finally got to the point where I can reliably plug (I still suck but at least I can get gas now).  I always trim out the rudder once the probe is extended, trim pitch and roll as good as I can, wings in bomb mode. Strait and level everything seems fine.  But in a turn things seem very counter intuitive.  For the right hand orbit I seem to need a lot of left rudder. Just to hold position.  Does the basket have its own drag applied once you connect? 

To be honest, I don't touch the rudder at all for AAR (trim or otherwise).  I know it was a thing in real life to use rudder rather than ailerons during AAR, but it does not seem to be needed for DCS.  I've not noticed anything really different when hooked up while turning.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, WarthogOsl said:

To be honest, I don't touch the rudder at all for AAR (trim or otherwise).  I know it was a thing in real life to use rudder rather than ailerons during AAR, but it does not seem to be needed for DCS.  I've not noticed anything really different when hooked up while turning.

That's how I started, and it was just kicking my ass.  Then I noticed just how much yaw the probe actually causes.  So for <profanity> and giggles it trimmed it out.  and for me It made a huge difference so kept on with it.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Bushwood said:

Does the basket have its own drag applied once you connect?

Not in DCS.

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

You eventually find what works for you and stick with that.  I myself never use rudders, I just use tiny control inputs and immediately counter them to balance it out else PIO becomes a problem.  The only trim I use is elevator trim as with the wings in bob mode you lose some lift and I don't want to have to hold my nose up while I'm trying to plug, so I trim accordingly.

v6,

boNes

• Like 1

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot