"Pedal microswitch: Enable/Disable by pedal movement" doesn't seem to work

Havner

Some background:

I use non-centering pedals with damper without a spring. Hind is set as follows:
Pedals trimmer mode: Default (I suppose it's irrelevant here)
Pedal microswitch: Enable/Disable by presence/absence of pedal movement
Pedals trimmer button: Do not trim

From some old changelog:

Enable/Disable by presence/absence of pedal movement (this logic is added and it activates microswithing only for duration of pedal axis movement, deactivates it when axis stop moving)

And it doesn't seem to work. Looking at the AP channels I can see the YAW channel working (with AP channel enabled). When I press the Microswitch manually (default Y) it behaves as expected. The YAW channel is reset, new Heading is set.

But nothing like this happens when I only move the pedals. No indication that moving the pedals actually enables the microswitch. The YAW channel is not reset, it fights against me when I move the pedals. It behaves exactly the same as when I set "Automatic Microswitch Off".

EDIT: I've tested the "Disable by setting pedal axis to neutral" option. This one works. It's useless for me as I use non centering pedals but I clearly see symptoms of microswitch being pressed when pedals are off-center.

Edited by Havner
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

1 hour ago, Havner said:

Some background:

I use non-centering pedals with damper without a spring. Hind is set as follows:
Pedals trimmer mode: Default (I suppose it's irrelevant here)
Pedal microswitch: Enable/Disable by presence/absence of pedal movement
Pedals trimmer button: Do not trim

From some old changelog:

And it doesn't seem to work. Looking at the AP channels I can see the YAW channel working (with AP channel enabled). When I press the Microswitch manually (default Y) it behaves as expected. The YAW channel is reset, new Heading is set.

But nothing like this happens when I only move the pedals. No indication that moving the pedals actually enables the microswitch. The YAW channel is not reset, it fights against me when I move the pedals. It behaves exactly the same as when I set "Automatic Microswitch Off".

EDIT: I've tested the "Disable by setting pedal axis to neutral" option. This one works. It's useless for me as I use non centering pedals but I clearly see symptoms of microswitch being pressed when pedals are off-center.

I and everyone I know who has tried has found the “enable by presence of movement” setting to be useless. I think it could be removed and not be missed, but that’s just me. 

• Like 2

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, AeriaGloria said:

I and everyone I know who has tried has found the “enable by presence of movement” setting to be useless. I think it could be removed and not be missed, but that’s just me.

It wouldn't be useless for me if it worked properly. You need to account for a fact that some people use non centering pedals. And with such pedals the other option (Disable by setting pedal axis to neutral) is useless.

So saying it could be removed you actually assume that everyone uses the hardware in same way you do.

Also maybe you found it useless because it actually doesn't work and doesn't do anything at all?

Edited by Havner
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

7 hours ago, Havner said:

It wouldn't be useless for me if it worked properly. You need to account for a fact that some people use non centering pedals. And with such pedals the other option (Disable by setting pedal axis to neutral) is useless.

So saying it could be removed you actually assume that everyone uses the hardware in same way you do.

Also maybe you found it useless because it actually doesn't work and doesn't do anything at all?

I just don’t see how anyone would want the heading hold to always be active with still pedals. What do you do in a steady turn? Keep the pedals in one spot. If this setting worked the way it was supposed to, the heading hold wouldn’t fight you as you added pedal as bank increased, then the heading hold would kick back in once your bank angle stabilized and pedal stayed where it needed to be coordinate. You then end up with it trying to straighten you with 18% anti torque authority while trying to turn, and possibly 118% while trimming you if you have PEDAL AUTO MOVE on. 

I could see it working if you usually kept heading hold deactivated most of the time and only used it every once in a while. But for actually turning I don’t see how it could work well

To me, it’s not worth the developer time. And I think it would make things simpler as the settings are complex as they are 

Edited by AeriaGloria

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

7 hours ago, Havner said:

Like AG said, unless you are constantly dancing on your pedals during turn, how would it work?

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, admiki said:

Like AG said, unless you are constantly dancing on your pedals during turn, how would it work?

Exactly like that. Doing micro movements in a turn to "press" the microswitch. It's not ideal but everything we do without having exactly right hardware is a compromise. The same way as pressing regular force trim and returning the stick to center for  sticks with a spring. Again, not ideal but we do it anyway. 

The fact is the setting is there. Someone thought about this use case and implemented it. The setting doesn't work though, ergo it's a bug. I reported it. And I for one see this option as useful for me.

It's rather sad when others say: "don't implement it, remove it, etc, cause I don't need it". There are probably lots of things I don't use. But I don't say they are not needed just because I don't need them. 

9 hours ago, AlphaOneSix said:

Well, in an ideal world, I think ED would just add keybindings for the pedal microswitches, and people can implement those physically however they see fit.

There is a binding for the microswitch. You can implement it physically if you want to. 

Edited by Havner
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It’s worth a pass over with lessons learned with the past year or so of this feature for developers to maybe take a look before final release. Also probably best before manual comes out, but I know that’s complex 

If anyone does want microswitches working in game like reality, I taped these to my pedals lol https://a.co/d/53pYra5

• Like 2

9 hours ago, AeriaGloria said:

It’s worth a pass over with lessons learned with the past year or so of this feature for developers to maybe take a look before final release. Also probably best before manual comes out, but I know that’s complex 

If anyone does want microswitches working in game like reality, I taped these to my pedals lol https://a.co/d/53pYra5

If you have angle adjustable footrest pedals, you can put it at such an angle so you press it by putting your feet on it and then use axis to button to hold microswitch down.

• Like 1