Flaps, brakes and afterburner...

I'm a returning player and many things have changed.

What's the difference between flaps down and flaps to landing position?

Wheel brake and wheel brake start? I suppose the latter is of course used on take off, but what's the difference between them?

And what on earth is "special afterburner mode"?

- With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.

- "Upside-down shuttlecock of death" SU-27 as described by Sgt Baker

14 minutes ago, tagge said:

I'm a returning player and many things have changed.

What's the difference between flaps down and flaps to landing position?

Wheel brake and wheel brake start? I suppose the latter is of course used on take off, but what's the difference between them?

And what on earth is "special afterburner mode"?

I don't think flaps have different modes in Su-33, so it's just a copy-paste binding from other FC3 modules. Flaps down would be flaps at 1 step down and landing flaps would be flaps at the max extended position.

Wheel brake is normal main gear brakes while wheel brake start is special mode of the brakes just to hold you shortly at the carrier launch - it gives you additional braking power.

Special afterburner is used shortly just for the carrier launch - it gives you additional power at already maxed AB.

Don't forget to stow the intake FOD protections at carrier launch - they disrupt the intake airflow and lower the thrust a bit.

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

4 hours ago, draconus said:

I don't think flaps have different modes in Su-33, so it's just a copy-paste binding from other FC3 modules. Flaps down would be flaps at 1 step down and landing flaps would be flaps at the max extended position.

Yeah in the Su-33, there are only two flap positions - extended or retracted. 

Wheel brake is normal main gear brakes while wheel brake start is special mode of the brakes just to hold you shortly at the carrier launch..

Yes there are two different modes for the wheel brake - normal brake and "run-up" brake, which is used to hold the aircraft at stand still prior to take-off, but this is not used onboard the aircraft carrier though - at the launch positions, there are two remotely operated stop blocks in the carrier deck that are raised to hold the aircraft and retracted for take-off. But I cannot remember whether this carrier feature is simulated in FC3.

Special afterburner is used shortly just for the carrier launch - it gives you additional power at already maxed AB.

It called "emergency thrust mode" and allows for a brief increase of AFB thrust by some 300 kgf per engine 

Don't forget to stow the intake FOD protections at carrier launch - they disrupt the intake airflow and lower the thrust a bit.

Yep - by some 10% apparently and IIRC the above mentoned "emergency thrust mode" is only available with the FOD grilles in the forced retracted position.

JJ

15 hours ago, Alfa said:

Yes there are two different modes for the wheel brake - normal brake and "run-up" brake, which is used to hold the aircraft at stand still prior to take-off, but this is not used onboard the aircraft carrier though - at the launch positions, there are two remotely operated stop blocks in the carrier deck that are raised to hold the aircraft and retracted for take-off. But I cannot remember whether this carrier feature is simulated in FC3.

In DCS this is simulated only on newer Kuznetsov 2017 carrier, available for player with Supercarrier module. On older Kuznetsov you have to hold the brakes.

FC3 is only a pack of aircraft.

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

On 3/19/2024 at 8:00 AM, Alfa said:

Yeah in the Su-33, there are only two flap positions - extended or retracted. 

It called "emergency thrust mode" and allows for a brief increase of AFB thrust by some 300 kgf per engine 

Yep - by some 10% apparently and IIRC the above mentoned "emergency thrust mode" is only available with the FOD grilles in the forced retracted position.

IIRC there is also an altitude limit for the emergency afterburner mode? Like 3,000m? 

• Like 1

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg