Strange Banding Effect on Water

I'm relative still new to DCS and tweaking of various graphic settings. I've just started the A-10Cii Operation Persian Freedom Campaign and noticed the banding on the water near shore, I'm flying at 15K. My PC is an i5 12600K with a new Nvidia 4070-Super. Monitor is a Samsung G7 with a 165 Hz. With my settings I'm getting about an average 125 fbs. The only other thing I have is ReShade. So is this banding effect normal or are my settings causing it?

IMG_8201.jpg

IMG_8203.jpg

Screenshot 2024-03-21 224843.png

Screenshot 2024-03-21 225029.png

IMG_8205.jpg

IMG_8206.jpg

Edited by PacFlyer23

i5-12600K @ 3.7GHz ¦ 32GB DDR4 RAM ¦ 12GB GeForce RTX 4070-Super ¦ Windows 11 Home ¦ 1TB NVME SSD ¦ Samsung 32” Odyssey Neo G7 4K 165 Hz Curved Monitor ¦ TM Warthog HOTAS ¦ TM Flight Rudder Pedals ¦ TrackIR 5

• PacFlyer23 changed the title to Strange Banding Effect on Water
On 3/22/2024 at 2:17 AM, PacFlyer23 said:

'm relative still new to DCS and tweaking of various graphic settings. I've just started the A-10Cii Operation Persian Freedom Campaign and noticed the banding on the water near shore, I'm flying at 15K. My PC is an i5 12600K with a new Nvidia 4070-Super. Monitor is a Samsung G7 with a 165 Hz. With my settings I'm getting about an average 125 fbs. The only other thing I have is ReShade. So is this banding effect normal or are my settings causing it?

hello and welcome to DCS. there have been other posts about this. your screenshots are worst i have seen. no fix that i could find. so looking at your settings compared to mine. try turning off SSLR. also turn off upscaling. FYI i do upscaling at the driver level outside DCS. and maybe disable reshade as a possible cause.

Edited by silverdevil

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

Thanks for the tips. I will give them a try. I had tried looking for other posts, but I wasn't sure how to describe what to search for so I missed them. Is there a better name/description for what I'm seeing?

i5-12600K @ 3.7GHz ¦ 32GB DDR4 RAM ¦ 12GB GeForce RTX 4070-Super ¦ Windows 11 Home ¦ 1TB NVME SSD ¦ Samsung 32” Odyssey Neo G7 4K 165 Hz Curved Monitor ¦ TM Warthog HOTAS ¦ TM Flight Rudder Pedals ¦ TrackIR 5

On 3/23/2024 at 11:46 AM, PacFlyer23 said:

Thanks for the tips. I will give them a try. I had tried looking for other posts, but I wasn't sure how to describe what to search for so I missed them. Is there a better name/description for what I'm seeing?

i searched in google "dcs stripes banding on water"

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

On 3/24/2024 at 5:27 PM, silverdevil said:

i searched in google "dcs stripes banding on water"

This specific issue was still not entirely fixed, it was reduced but not fixed, for the OP the issue is from his usage of ReShade, for support he needs to disable all of those stuff and delete fxo and metashaders2 

My Setup : i5-4690 3.50GHz + 24GB RAM DDR3 1600MHz + MSI RTX 2060 Super Ventus OC + 2 SSD + 4 HDD + Oculus Rift CV1 + TM T.16000M Hotas

Super Etendard for Life !

10 hours ago, Loukuins said:

This specific issue was still not entirely fixed, it was reduced but not fixed, for the OP the issue is from his usage of ReShade, for support he needs to disable all of those stuff and delete fxo and metashaders2 

i posted look into ReShade as a possible cause 3/22/2024. deleting contents of the shader folders is always a good tip.

So I turned all of four ReShade presets off, and deleted fxo and metashader2 files. Restarted my computer too. In game I turned SSLR to off and SSAO to on. No change to the water banding.

IMG_8213.jpg

7 hours ago, PacFlyer23 said:

So I turned all of four ReShade presets off, and deleted fxo and metashader2 files. Restarted my computer too. In game I turned SSLR to off and SSAO to on. No change to the water banding.

i do not have many other ideas for you.

how about a slow repair? turning off upscaling in DCS? maybe renaming CONFIG folder to CONFIG.bak as a test. when you rerun DCS the folder will be recreated. you can copy over the CONFIG.bak\INPUT folder to new CONFIG folder. where your controls are. unfortunately for testing sake, I do not have any of this banding.

So this may be a mission map specific issue. I just started a new mission in the Operation Persian Freedom Campaign and there's no banding in the water at the coast line.

IMG_8217.jpg

10 hours ago, PacFlyer23 said:

So this may be a mission map specific issue. I just started a new mission in the Operation Persian Freedom Campaign and there's no banding in the water at the coast line.

interesting. thanks for the update. what was the map in your earlier examples? i just thought of something. maybe do a short track of the anomaly and post it. i can try to see if i can see the effect.

On 3/28/2024 at 4:19 PM, silverdevil said:

interesting. thanks for the update. what was the map in your earlier examples? i just thought of something. maybe do a short track of the anomaly and post it. i can try to see if i can see the effect.

It's Operation Persian Freedom's "The Battle of Qeshm" mission going from WP 2 to WP3.

11 hours ago, PacFlyer23 said:

It's Operation Persian Freedom's "The Battle of Qeshm" mission going from WP 2 to WP3.

i do not have that mission. but you can fly the mission to the point you start seeing the effect. quit the mission and save the track. then post it here. i can load it to see what i see.

Okay, here's the track up to where the band is seen. I noticed that it was less as I moved my POV around and became prominate when fixed on the area. 

3-30-24 Ocean Bands.trk

17 hours ago, PacFlyer23 said:

Okay, here's the track up to where the band is seen. I noticed that it was less as I moved my POV around and became prominate when fixed on the area. 

well i learned something new today. i cannot even play the track unless i paid for the campaign. can you create a mission with the anomaly between the two waypoints with F-16? or coordinates?