Auto-Hover without auto-rotation to the left?

I've been getting back into the Gazelle for the first time in a while, and I'm struggling to get the helicopter to engage and stay in auto-hover mode. I can get the auto-pilot to turn on (amber light) and get it within the required parameters. Once this occurs, the light will turn green, as it is supposed to. However, when I release my stick, the helicopter just falls to the left and disengages the auto-hover. How can I get it to stay in the auto-hover mode, as opposed to it rotating to the left and disengaging?

Auto-hover holds within the range of stick movements of a manual hover. So your static input needs to stay close to the holding point. You have to trim your stick if it returns to centre due to the spring load.

Edited by jumphigh
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

is there any indicator on the dash that autohover is engaged? I can get into a stable hover (0 kts and steady altitude on the ipad in cockpit), press autohover but then when I move to copilot's seat, everything goes awry.

4930K @ 4.5, 32g ram, TitanPascal

1 hour ago, skypickle said:

is there any indicator on the dash that autohover is engaged?

Below the main panel starter and pump switches are the ALV (hover) and CVS (slaved) lamps which are yellow when armed and green once active/in parameters.

Gazelle L Autopilot ALV and CVS Lamps, Screen_240408_174714.jpg

1 hour ago, skypickle said:

... when I move to copilot's seat, everything goes awry.

The slaved autopilot will try to track the periscope/Viviane sight which moves with helicopter body unless ground stabilized
• for the L use the "Periscope Command Box" Stabilization toggle
• for the M, the Viviane sight will ground stabilize after it's first manual slew

Because of these issues, it's probably best to switch to the co-pilot seat first (with same control/axis settings as the pilot) and setup the Viviane/Periscope, before engaging the Hover and Slave modes.

Screen_240408_181851.jpg

AFAIK the current autopilot Hover and Slave modes are still WIP due to the Gazelle's new/more accurate flight model.

Gazelle L Autohover test, 2_9_3.trk

Edited by Ramsay
  • Like 2

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

👍 CSV slaving after ground stabilization is the most important step in the procedure.

• Like 1

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

Thank you for your insight and answers. I noticed that if I bind the cyclic and collective controls for the WSO, the aircraft is much more squirrely than if I leave the WSO controls unbound, yet they still work. I think there is some craziness going on with the control code with crosstalk of data from the WSO and Pilot.

• Like 1

4930K @ 4.5, 32g ram, TitanPascal