FOV & Zoom View axis never appears to save or is different than saved on some missions?

Go to solution Solved by Trigati,

Really thought I'd cracked this - but no.

Spent, again, literally another load of hours on this (and not enjoying DCS in the meanwhile) as its really frustrating having to set the FOV and or Zoom View axis up each mission or flight or have it change mid flight.

Created this success video as I was jubilant at having resolved - albeit for 2 modules and used a couple of the quick missions whilst testing.

Tried now (a day later) and the FOV zoom is different for some of the quick missions I have tried - it's still the same for the the 2 I used whilst setting up.

Why is this and can this actually be prevented or is this just another accepted feature of DCS?

I'm beginning to wonder if I'll ever get a session on DCS where by I'm not going to have to keep making do?

I'll do another video showing all the missions with the FOV and will add later.

The method how I've saved the FOV and Zoom view axis detent for both the Spitfire and P-51

I'll shorten for quickness;

Head tracking off

Show the Frame rate counter - Service info, double press to show FOV

Adjusted View and FOV to where I want

Save Cockpit Angles

Zoom View - Tune combo Axis - select slider and curve - adjusted the mid 50 slider to reflect the correct FOV level and adjust the other curve sliders to smooth the curve. Making the midpoint 110 FOV for the Spitfire and 92 FOV for the P-51

Save

On trying out this works for only some of the missions I've since found.

I have tried selecting and deselecting under Game misc options - Sync cockpit controls with HOTAS controls on mission start - makes no difference selected or not.

Couple of clips showing the different FOV's 

P-51 FOV set to 92 and Zoom axis mid detent is also set to 92

Spitfire FOV set to 110 and Zoom axis mid detent is also set to 110

Edited by Toastfrenzy
Added method and video links

• Toastfrenzy changed the title to FOV & Zoom View axis never appears to save or is different than saved on some missions?

Checked my snap view in the snapview.lua

has a time date stamp of when I lasted edited yesterday - haven't changed anything today

SnapViews["P-51D"] = {

[13] = {--default view
        viewAngle        = 91.992798,--FOV

SnapViews["SpitfireLFMkIX"] = {

[13] = {--default view
        viewAngle        = 109.978734,--FOV

• Solution

Some mission files contain their own Snapviews file which overides your file. I would guess that might be the cause. I think I've fixed this in the past by opening the miz file using 7zip and deleting the snapview file inside it.

• Like 1

^ What Trigati said.

Stock missions can not only override your realism & special options but snap view settings as well. Some of them do, unfortunately, which requires manual "fixing".

The good thing is all should work as intended in your own custom missions.

• Like 1

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Removed some of the snapview.lua files that I found in the .miz mission files, tried the same quick missions and all good now for those missions.

Do these miz files get replaced on updates?

Or is it about time they where corrected at source.

• Like 1

"Yes" to both questions. I wouldn't count on the latter, but the former can be dealt with by creating fixed/modded copies of stock missions (as you did) and enabling/disabling them at will during update day using any mod manager of your choice (JSGME, OvGME, OMM).

• Like 1

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Oh, I agree 100%, but experience shows that maintenance and fixing of training, instant and single missions tends to be on rock bottom of devs' priority list in DCS, so I'm afraid fixing them yourself (if and when possible) is a faster solution.

• Like 1