Bare metal textures

On 6/18/2024 at 9:42 PM, grim_reaper68 said:

Maybe in July, if I have time, I will share my own little experience on tutorial, so new modder could find easely the answer of their questions.

Great!

Mr. Croco

Posted (edited)

So, I paid too much attention to the roughness, but photorealistic texture is still the basis of a quality livery.

I would be grateful for recommendations and methods on how to turn what is above into something similar to what is below.

How do they do this, do they just cut up a high-quality photograph of an airplane? Or do they add additional highlights with a brush? First of all, we are interested in a large light spot, which gives a smooth gradient. And is it possible to turn a hand-drawn texture into a photorealistic one?

edu_1.png

Edited by tripod3

Mr. Croco

5 hours ago, tripod3 said:

So, I paid too much attention to the roughness, but photorealistic texture is still the basis of a quality livery.

I would be grateful for recommendations and methods on how to turn what is above into something similar to what is below.

How do they do this, do they just cut up a high-quality photograph of an airplane? Or do they add additional highlights with a brush? First of all, we are interested in a large light spot, which gives a smooth gradient. And is it possible to turn a hand-drawn texture into a photorealistic one?

edu_1.png

A lot of painful time and attention to detail.
Usally they spend a lot of time researching and using pictures to get panel lines right.

There is not real easy way, aside from spending a lot time and manual work on it.

Like a real airplane, bare metal should have a bumping normal map.
It's not a mathematical super flat 3d plane like in games.

Open ED  texture and study it

20240622_123830.png

150727-F-IO108-019.jpg

• Like 1

creator of ED's official F-16C liveries (WP,OS, 132nd, 152nd, 174th)
AH-64D livery contest winner 😅
kim_123456#3214
My user files https://shorturl.at/cdKV5

On 6/21/2024 at 11:58 AM, tripod3 said:

edu_1.png

If you're working on a livery from an existing mod, you have no choice. You can't modify the place of the parts, as the parts of the mod uses the texture file as it is. So as Wyvern told you, you can only work on the existing texture, and make it as realistic as possible.