Has Something Changed With Recent Patches?

artao
Go to solution Solved by artao,

Now granted, I haven't flown helo in a few months. But I used to be fairly proficient. NOW tho it's like I've never flown a helo before at all.

For one thing I keep getting into unrecoverable VRS when coming in for a landing, around 50ft. It doesn't matter if I'm hovering or moving or how fast. Around 50 ft the helo just drops, and I can't apply enuf collective to recover.
Also, has the option to use the old flight model been disabled? It's still in the FMOptions.lua, but I can't seem to tell a difference with it true or false anymore.

Finally, the collective just seems ... wrong. I have to hold way more collective than I think I do, and kick more left pedal in; sometimes it feels like the pedals are doing nothing. It feels underpowered and sluggish to respond.
DCS reset my control curves, but even fixing that hasn't made much difference. I've got an FFB stick too, and when I got it several months back the ease of hovering was incredible. Now I can't seem to stop drifting in one direction or another and have to overcompensate to slow down.

Sure, I'm out of practice. But this just seems ridiculous. If it's just me it's just me and I'll get more hours in -- which I will anyhow.

Edited by artao
typos

Hi Artao,

I can confirm the old flight model is still in use, after the last big update it changed my preference back to the new model, boy was I surprised.

Redid the FM lua and I`m back to normal flight.

Mike. 

GE Wings2.jpg           AMD Ryzen 5, 32 GB DDR4, AMD XFX Radeon RX590 8GB, 27" curved Samsung monitor.

Now granted, I haven't flown helo in a few months. But I used to be fairly proficient. NOW tho it's like I've never flown a helo before at all.
For one thing I keep getting into unrecoverable VRS when coming in for a landing, around 50ft. It doesn't matter if I'm hovering or moving or how fast. Around 50 ft the helo just drops, and I can't apply enuf collective to recover.
Also, has the option to use the old flight model been disabled? It's still in the FMOptions.lua, but I can't seem to tell a difference with it true or false anymore.
Finally, the collective just seems ... wrong. I have to hold way more collective than I think I do, and kick more left pedal in; sometimes it feels like the pedals are doing nothing. It feels underpowered and sluggish to respond.
DCS reset my control curves, but even fixing that hasn't made much difference. I've got an FFB stick too, and when I got it several months back the ease of hovering was incredible. Now I can't seem to stop drifting in one direction or another and have to overcompensate to slow down.
Sure, I'm out of practice. But this just seems ridiculous. If it's just me it's just me and I'll get more hours in -- which I will anyhow.
Out of curiosity. Have you checked for axis conflicts? A lot of modules were affected in the former patch, where removed axis were pre-populated.

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, MAXsenna said:

Out of curiosity. Have you checked for axis conflicts? A lot of modules were affected in the former patch, where removed axis were pre-populated.

No axis conflicts, but DCS did reset my curves. Redoing them has helped.

Also, disabling all the FFB forces and leaving only the force trim has helped a good deal too. ... When I first got FFB I immediately went from struggling to hover to being able to hold a reasonable hover. After re-tuning the FFB settings again, I'm about back to that.

I so love it when DCS resets controls. <sigh>

Edited by artao
  • Like 2

• Solution

Okay, much better now. With my curves adjusted right and FFB forces set right and the old flight model, I'm back to feeling competent.
Amazing how much settings can make a difference.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/11/2024 at 1:38 PM, Mike145 said:

Hi Artao,

I can confirm the old flight model is still in use, after the last big update it changed my preference back to the new model, boy was I surprised.

Redid the FM lua and I`m back to normal flight.

Mike. 

Ooh, you can get the old FM back? I assume this means the feel before they added power etc. to the Huey? Is there a guide on the forums somewhere?

21 hours ago, jubuttib said:

Ooh, you can get the old FM back? I assume this means the feel before they added power etc. to the Huey? Is there a guide on the forums somewhere?

Yes, you can very easily. Modify the first line in FMOptions.lua.

• Thanks 2

Huey in the air, Spitfire in the hangar 🙂

The last version of OpenBeta (all terrains)

MFG Crosswind V2; Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog; TrackIR 5