Confession: Black Shark has made me a Rotor Head

btaft

After about 3 months at the cyclic and collective I think I can say I am a rotor-head now. After I got over my initial shock of how helo really handles in comparison to the last helo sim I flew (Gunship 2) I can truly appreciate the flight model. I find myself getting better all the time.....getting more daring with my maneuvers....knowing when to not get so daring.....low speed maneuvers like landing at a FARP and ship....etc.

I even purchased Flight FSX Acceleration to try that helo and found it to seem entirely unrealistic in comparison to Black Shark....it was much to easy to fly.

I guess I will remain a rotor head......at least until A-10 is released maybe :)

Before DCS:Black Shark, I hated helicopter sims. I'd tried out the FSX helicopters and simply couldn't get a handle on them. I'd be upside and on fire before I could blink.

But DCS just feels right. The controls are smooth, the engineering and modeling perfect. The first time I was flitting about at 250kph, spotted something suspicious to the side, and smoothly side-slipped myself into a hover with the Shkval on target, I felt like a million bucks. Sometimes I don't feel like I'm flying an aircraft. It feels more like a Wild West gunfighter.

I know it sounds cheesy, but instead of strapping into the helicopter, it feels more like you're strapping it on. It becomes a part of you and operating it just comes naturally.

I also like the balance of the campaigns. They slowly ramp up the difficulty, allowing you to slowly increase your knowledge and your confidence. The scenarios I've done have all been surprising and very fun to play.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Absolutely.

I had no interest in helicopters whatsoever, only bought game because it was cheap, reminded me of Il-2 plane, and had time to kill until release of RoF (and didn't that work out well :cry:).

It goes to show, if people put enough heart into a sim you can go well beyond the core audience.

Absolutely.

I had no interest in helicopters whatsoever, only bought game because it was cheap, reminded me of Il-2 plane, and had time to kill until release of RoF (and didn't that work out well :cry:).

It goes to show, if people put enough heart into a sim you can go well beyond the core audience.

:helpsmilie: ... I dont understand what you're trying to say. Are you Trolling here?

I'm just returning from hiatus with Conan. Can't wait to get back behind the stick!

See in the sky mate.

- - - - - - - - TO FLY IS HEAVEN. TO HOVER IS DIVINE - - - - - -

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Not sure how you got troll, but here's what I was trying to say-

• I had no interest in helicopters prior to playing BS
  • I was looking forward to RoF, but they've screwed it with connection reqs.
  • Having purchased BS, I'm getting a hell of a lot more out of it than I would have expected, and wondering if I can go back to planes.

I heard about Black Shark since it was announced. I played Lo-Mac since the release and i was never too into helicopter sims.

I had no intentions of buying the sim. I saw videos and i felt it was "meh". A friend of mine bought it since he saw cool graphics and figured he could "blow stuff up" with ease. Not a day after he bought it he calls me up and says "COME HELP ME".

I did, after 3 hours of messing with it i went back home and bought my own copy online. Since at home i got all the flying gear (HOTAS/TrackIR/Pedals) it just got even better and this has turned to be the best purchase I have made in 2009. I'm just hooked.

This game is brilliant.

I got it the day i had money for the english release (dec 26th)... figured i needed a new flight sim, and oh boy oh boy, it delivered...

Current Sims:

DCS Black Shark, Falcon 4.0, X-Plane 9, Steel Beasts Pro PE, IL-2 1946, ArmA 2, FSX, Rise of Flight, EECH, Harpoon 3 ANW, CSP

Before DCS:Black Shark, I hated helicopter sims. I'd tried out the FSX helicopters and simply couldn't get a handle on them. I'd be upside and on fire before I could blink.

But DCS just feels right. The controls are smooth, the engineering and modeling perfect. The first time I was flitting about at 250kph, spotted something suspicious to the side, and smoothly side-slipped myself into a hover with the Shkval on target, I felt like a million bucks. Sometimes I don't feel like I'm flying an aircraft. It feels more like a Wild West gunfighter.

I know it sounds cheesy, but instead of strapping into the helicopter, it feels more like you're strapping it on. It becomes a part of you and operating it just comes naturally.

I also like the balance of the campaigns. They slowly ramp up the difficulty, allowing you to slowly increase your knowledge and your confidence. The scenarios I've done have all been surprising and very fun to play.

Rather well said.:thumbup: