Can the propeller pitch of KA-50 set to negative?

sunwolf

Depends.........

If you would have the KA-50 standing on the ground and measure its pitch range relative to the horizontal you probably get an pitch range that is something like -2 Degree's to +30 Degree's orso depending on the exact control inputs you give.

If you are talking about the Pitch in flight, then its an whole different story cause then we should look at it relative to the airflow, which is pretty complicated and we can only guess at.

Anyway, if you are wondering if you can perform an autoration in the game.

YES YOU CAN.

It aint easy but it is possible, just kill the engines in mid flight and try to land,

keaping forward speed is essential in autorotation, this allows you to flare the helicopter when getting close to the ground generating more energy in the rotorfield so you can land.

If your planning on making an near vertical autorotation, Good Luck.

I hope this answers your question

(btw, when talking about helicopters we generally refer to the rotor, or to the blades, helicopters (technically) do not have propellors, Gyrocopters do though;))

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The keeper of all mathematical knowledge and the oracle of flight modeling.:)

No, real helicopters do not have the ability to have negative pitch in the blades. In the Ka-50 (and apparently most Russian helicopters, in my experience), the lower limit is 1 degree of positive pitch, so you cant even get flat pitch. I believe the upper range for the Ka-50 is 14.5 degrees.

There's a gauge on the front panel (in the lower left part) which shows you the current blade pitch. The gauge goes from 1 to 15 degrees (I guess it's kind of an average, as depending on cyclic movement the pitch may be different for each blade).

As A16 mentioned, no real helicopter does negative pitch. But they're still able to autorotate as that doesn't require negative blade pitch.

Hi,

AFAIK most helis do NOT have negative pitch as this would force the blades into the body of the aircraft and well - you know the rest.

You can do it on RC helis, but that is entirely different (shorter blades, and relatively much stiffer).

For a (full size) helicopter to be fully aerobatic takes quite a lot of engineering. It's not as simple as it looks.

If you think it is easy to rip the blades off the Shark, try aerobatics in a helo not certified for aerobatics.

Best regards,

Tango.

No, real helicopters do not have the ability to have negative pitch in the blades. In the Ka-50 (and apparently most Russian helicopters, in my experience), the lower limit is 1 degree of positive pitch, so you cant even get flat pitch. I believe the upper range for the Ka-50 is 14.5 degrees.

Oh yes they do.

For example the Westland Lynx has an negative Pitch range while it is in an Weight On Wheels situation. This is to Push the heli on the deck of an moving vessel. (usually a navy ship)

This is to stabilize the helicopter on the rolling and pitching deck of the ship making it safer to get in and out and do other operations in or around the helicopter whit its rotors running.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The keeper of all mathematical knowledge and the oracle of flight modeling.:)

Oh yes they do.

For example the Westland Lynx has an negative Pitch range while it is in an Weight On Wheels situation. This is to Push the heli on the deck of an moving vessel. (usually a navy ship)

This is to stabilize the helicopter on the rolling and pitching deck of the ship making it safer to get in and out and do other operations in or around the helicopter whit its rotors running.

Interesting. I never thought about that, but it sounds reasonable. Are you 100% sure about this?

Interesting. I never thought about that, but it sounds reasonable. Are you 100% sure about this?

Oh yes, it's true. It just can't be done in flight, it can only be done on the ground. I didn't make a point to distinguish between the two (on ground and in flight) so I deserve to be corrected. :)

Some helos can do that, like the Lynx and the Wasp, but as far as I've read only when the cyclic is centered, to avoid uneven loads on the rotor head. It's not something you do in the air.

The point most people miss when thinking about a looping helicopter, is that from the helicopters perspective it's NOT upside down. The whole maneuver is usually flown with a positive G load, just like in a normal airplane (although in an airplane you'd push a little at the top to make the loop fully round, but you're usually never below 0G).