How many Blackshark's player in the world.

Didas_94

Only the hard-core flyers will play BS in realistic mode, which are quite a lot i think. Arcade however is for n00bs..:P

How about a mixture? XD

I still like to fly with Labels on. lol

I think the post was more about how many copies ED has sold maybe?

Lead Admin/Founder of Kilo-Tango Gaming Community

Only the hard-core flyers will play BS in realistic mode, which are quite a lot i think. Arcade however is for n00bs..:P

If you had to play against somebody, who is trained to fly the game in arcade mode, I bet you'd regret pretty quickly you called your opponent a noob.

Some like simulations as realistic as possible, some like them tuned down, with icons or other simplifications and some like to just play flight-games. That has nothing to do with noob or pro.

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

I think the post was more about how many copies ED has sold maybe?

I think this is correct.

Looking at Sharkpit Mods DL's I guess you could start at 1000 clients and go up from there. So I guess the game is worth 50k+?

Only ED knows the correct sales figure, and ive got no idea how many games you have to sell to cover costs and start making money with a sim of this complexity. I just hope it does make money for ED so they continue to produce games of this quality. "Huey's over Vietnam" has a nice ring to it ;) or if ED wanted to hook up with BI and send in an ED made Blackhawk flight model into the ARMA2 battlefield I'd be quite ok with that to :D

I think ED get their money out of the military contracts that they have, the home user part of their products is merely a by-product of those contracts. Given that, it's rather hard to say how BS is doing financially. But taking into account all the high praise it got in almost all major flight sim mags, i'd guess it sold decently well, under current circumstances. I'll take a leap of faith and say the sales figures are in the lower hundred thousands.

Edited by sobek

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

Sobek, there's an interview with Wags somewhere that brings up the question of military vs commercial products. In it he states that the commercial ventures are by no means an afterthought or anything like it, since revenue in the commercial markets are much more predictable. With military software you either get the big nice contract or you get pretty much nothing. No middle ground. But with commercial software you can usually count on a more stable revenue.

What ED has done is found a niche where the two business angles combine, which allows them to try for military contracts while at the same time issuing commercial products, and spread the development costs between the two. Therefore, the commercial products gain in fidelity through the information they gain through military contracts, and it's easier to gain those military contracts since they can offer a lower pricetag to the air forces soliciting their services (since ED can use much of the same code in commercial ventures).

So it's not really the case of a "by-product". That sounds more like a case of someone going "ah well, I guess we might as well do that", rather than the very counscious business model they've got where they spread the costs onto both revenue sources.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

its the only way to fly

Undoubted. But it is not the only way to play. :D

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD