Artificial intelligence of artificial idiot?

ArchAngel

after playing the gauntlet several times I have realized that the #2 wingman is an absolute idiot.

I sent #2 on recon. He detected several armor and aa threats and instead of terminating the recce or at least going around the tgts, he flew right into the middle of said tgts and was subsequently blown out of the sky.

In addition, several times did I instruct #2 to engage a tgts, (separate incident) and he flew too close to the tgt and was, again, blown out of the sky.

On the other hand, #4 seems to be more on the ball.

I am hoping that #2 is programmed to be an idiot, or should I say, less competant?

Edited by ArchAngel

An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.

Perhaps ur right. Thing is, I shouldn't have to micromanage. I believe the wingman should scout, detect tgts and either

1) hold

2) bypass

3) rejoin

The fact that the wingman flys directly into a threat is...well...not right.

An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.

And ED knows it, and will correct it when limited time/resources permit... they're far smarter than their AI!!!

Westinghouse W-600 refrigerator - Corona six-pack - Marlboro reds - Patience by Girlfriend

"Engineering is the art of modelling materials we do not wholly understand, into shapes we cannot precisely analyse so as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess, in such a way that the public has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance." (Dr. A. R. Dykes - British Institution of Structural Engineers, 1976)

Unfortunately you have to micromanagement. Thats why I am impressed with Arma 2 AI but I know that slowly slowly ED will make a huge step with the AI.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ASUS M4A79 Deluxe, AMD Phenom II X4 940@3.5GHz, ATI 6870 1GB, Windows 7 64bit, Kingstone HyperX 4GB, 2x Western Digital Raptor 74GB, Asus Xonar DX Sound Card, Saitek X52 PRO, TrackIR 44: Pro.

Whereas ArmA2 is most surely not an example how ED should handle AI...

:doh:

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

Arma 2 is the most buggiest, cheap feelin game I ever played (for a short period of time)

Sometimes I doubt that things people want to be in DCS are actually present in reality. If they aren´t talkin bout collidable trees, of course. But I´ve never tried to collide with a tree myself. So even that could be a myth.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Whereas ArmA2 is most surely not an example how ED should handle AI...

:doh:

Accidents happen with people to. Why not for the AI. :lol:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ASUS M4A79 Deluxe, AMD Phenom II X4 940@3.5GHz, ATI 6870 1GB, Windows 7 64bit, Kingstone HyperX 4GB, 2x Western Digital Raptor 74GB, Asus Xonar DX Sound Card, Saitek X52 PRO, TrackIR 44: Pro.

Hahaha LMAO

Movie with tanks... it adds immersion a bit :D

TBH I never noticed until now but they had 360 degree coverage. I never play with armor much in that game but now I'm curious to see if all vehicles do that or what.

Arma 2 is the most buggiest, cheap feelin game I ever played (for a short period of time)

Damn, so much hate for Arma 2 on this forum. I don't understand it. Admitably the campaign is crap and the vehicles and certainly air controls are simplified but as a sandbox providing a combined arms simulation it's pretty good. Would be nice if they concentrated more on the vehicles AI, but I suppose getting the infantry right is hard enough. Even then the infantry still suffer from some dumb moves, but it is much improved form Arma. /rant

I am really enjoying Arma2 campaign. After the latest patch is very playable. Actually I was able to finish it and I am replaying it.

Arch Angel learn to use your Data Link as it works better with you wingman. Its also more immerse and realistic to use the Data Link.

For me in order to learn it I loaded the training missions couble of times, took control and play with the Data Link issuing commands. This way it works really good. As for reacon don't use (use F10) it if you are too close and if you are not sure send recon only for 1km.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]