Hey guys

I've got a relatively decent PC:

i5 750 Quad Core @ 3.8GHz (100% stable)

8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz

4870x2

TrackIR 4 Pro

2 x 128GB SSD for OS and game installs

Win7 Ultimate 64-bit edition

I'm running at 1920 x 1080, everything maxed except water at normal, mirrors off, 4xAA, 4xAF. The game generally runs very smooth, but overcast clouds bring the frame rates plummeting. Performance is fine when I'm above or below them, but as soon as I get within about 200 metres of the clouds, my frame rate starts going all over the place - dropping down very low then increasing, then dropping, increasing, etc until I pull away from the cloud layer.

It happens on any mission I've flown with clouds (F15 campaign mission #2 and SU25 bad weather solo mission) - while the rest of the mission stays around 60fps, as soon as I get close to the clouds the jerk-fest begins.

I remember this was a problem with the original LOMAC, but a cloud mod fixed the problem. Unfortunately I've just tried Bobocop overcast cloud mod 3.1 and it doesn't work with FC2, removing clouds entirely.

Any suggestions or overcast mods that work with FC2?

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

Thanks Exorcet - unfortunately that fix has no effect. My frame rate goes from 40-50fps down to 20ish as soon as I get close to the clouds.

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

Maybe you should try an Overcast mod... look over at lockonfiles.com for BOBOCOP OVERCAST CLOUD MOD 3.1. I'm not really sure if it will work with FC2, but does well with FC1.12. Install with modman 7.2 and if doesn't work, you can easily remove it later. It should fix this issue, and you should have about the same fps with and without overcast.

Hi Fahh

I've tried that mod - it totally removes/breaks clouds in FC2. =(

Yeah it's a strange problem. I go from 60 to 30 just by going near the cloud upper or lower base (same Su-25 mission, one about testing ECM in bad weather conditions). When I'm totally inside the cloud base the fps jumps again to 60. Nvidia 9600gt here.

Anyway there's a already a thread about this:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=51536&page=3

Edited by Distiler

AMD Ryzen 1400 // 16 GB DDR4 2933Mhz // Nvidia 1060 6GB // W10 64bit // Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2

Yes, the FC1 overcast mods dont work anymore in FC2, not without some file adjustments...

But you guys are in luck! I have converted an overcast mod for FC2 to fix the problem... Seems to work great so far, and with less artifacts than the default one... :)

Will post it once i get back home!

Breakshot_Sig_2.jpg

Tim "Breakshot" Mytrofanov | C.O. of 51 ПВО / 100 КИАП Regiments | twitch.tv/51breakshot

Fantastic news - thanks Breakshot! Looking forward to giving it a shot.

Thanks Breakshot - while the mod lowers the cloud detail a lot, my fps stay at a solid 50fps when I get near them. Cheers!

Hey guys

I've got a relatively decent PC:

i5 750 Quad Core @ 3.8GHz (100% stable)

8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz

4870x2

TrackIR 4 Pro

2 x 128GB SSD for OS and game installs

Win7 Ultimate 64-bit edition

I'm running at 1920 x 1080, everything maxed except water at normal, mirrors off, 4xAA, 4xAF. The game generally runs very smooth, but overcast clouds bring the frame rates plummeting. Performance is fine when I'm above or below them, but as soon as I get within about 200 metres of the clouds, my frame rate starts going all over the place - dropping down very low then increasing, then dropping, increasing, etc until I pull away from the cloud layer.

It happens on any mission I've flown with clouds (F15 campaign mission #2 and SU25 bad weather solo mission) - while the rest of the mission stays around 60fps, as soon as I get close to the clouds the jerk-fest begins.

I remember this was a problem with the original LOMAC, but a cloud mod fixed the problem. Unfortunately I've just tried Bobocop overcast cloud mod 3.1 and it doesn't work with FC2, removing clouds entirely.

Any suggestions or overcast mods that work with FC2?

I did have some CTDs when I flew above overcast, good fps tho'

I disabled Adaptive AA (ATI 4890OC - dr. v.10.3) and that seemed to

have fixed this problem.

(AMD Phenom955BE @3.6, 8 gigs of DDR3)