Anyone using iMac with Bootcamp to play Lockon?

I'm using one of the new 27" iMac's with the optioned i7, standard 4gb of RAM.

Running Windows 7 x64 in Bootcamp. DCS:BS amd LOMAC-FC2 both run an absolute treat. I have all details set to high running fullscreen 1920x1080.

I don't typically turn the frame counter on so I can't give you an absolute number value, but the game runs smooth as silk. I have been meaning to play around with AF/AA settings to see what impact it has and possibly even up the res to the monitors native (2560x1440), I'll get back to you with the results.

Playing on a 27' screen is also wonderful, particularly during guns only battles.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm using one of the new 27" iMac's with the optioned i7, standard 4gb of RAM.

Running Windows 7 x64 in Bootcamp. DCS:BS amd LOMAC-FC2 both run an absolute treat. I have all details set to high running fullscreen 1920x1080.

I don't typically turn the frame counter on so I can't give you an absolute number value, but the game runs smooth as silk. I have been meaning to play around with AF/AA settings to see what impact it has and possibly even up the res to the monitors native (2560x1440), I'll get back to you with the results.

Playing on a 27' screen is also wonderful, particularly during guns only battles.

Do you fly FSX at all? I'm curious to know how the I7 2.8GHz runs FSX by chance.

I run LockOn on Mac under Parallels for testing work (I have another machine for my 'real' flying) and that works well enough at lower resolutions.

Let me guess, FSX runs like a dog when the options are turned up? It runs like that everywere.

^ 100%. FSX is fine at mid-range details, but maxing them out kills the framerate. My only other experience with FSX was on an older AMD dual core system with 2gb RAM, obviously the i7 way out-performed it, but its hardly a fair comparison.

When running in bootcamp, the mac will generally perform identically to a same spec PC.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yep, the i7 is loaded with a 512mb Radeon 4850. Unfortunately whilst the i7 is a proper desktop chip, the G-card is a mobility unit.

As I've just spent the last hour discovering, by default you're unable to access the catalyst control panel. There is a fix for this however and I can now confirm it works.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 months later...
I run LockOn on Mac under Parallels for testing work (I have another machine for my 'real' flying) and that works well enough at lower resolutions.

Let me guess, FSX runs like a dog when the options are turned up? It runs like that everywere.

fc runs on mac nativly?

i run a 8 core mac pro using bootcamp to game pc games and it runs great. Blackshark and flaming cliffs2 run like buttter. Parallels seems ok but you won't get top performance unless you run your mac as a pc. Also i just shoved in a pc 9800 gt card, installed drivers for it and bam, the game runs fine on it. sadly you can't run top end pc cards that require an alt power cord as the MB does not have that. As we all know, DCS is more processor dependent than vid card so the mac has plenty of power to handle DCS requirements. hehe i giggle at windows :). good luck all and i always buy every eagle dynamics products as i respect them and what they do for the sim market. If they ever go download only then that will kill my relationship with them. no real product = no money hehe.

Ps just so you know ED, i fart around with my mac all the time - new boot camp and virtual machines so your whole activation crap is a pain as I'm not a pc user. Mac's = hell try a new thing and see what happens so your online activations make my butt itch :P. best dam sim out tho and I will always purchase your products - a10 anyone ?

• 1 month later...

I've tried running it on a mac, but damned if I can figure out which key(s) equal the "pause/break" command. What apple says should do it, doesn't. If I ever get it to run via bootcamp and win7 I'll let you know. The loading, etc. works fine. Just cannot fly it.

• 3 months later...

I tried to run FC2 on my MacBookPro 17" laptop running FUSION and Vista.

FC2 installs fine, the demos run fine, but the actually flying does not. It gives this message:

"An attempt to use a virtual PC is detected. Please close all PC emulators and try again.

If the error recurs, press "Error report" and send the report to product technical support."

Can someone tell me why Im getting this and you guys arent?

As you can see, SteelBeastsPro has no problem running on a Mac with Vista VM

Theres definately something going on with FC2 and virtual machines.

More and more people are doing this, so it makes sense for this to be supported.

MacVistaSBP.jpg

I have run BOOTCAMP emulation of Windows VISTA, and FC2 runs well under it.

It does take a long time to run the launcher, but eventually FC2 runs fine.

So the problem is running FC2 under FUSION's virtual machine emulation of Vista.

Regarding the PAUSE key in Windows that doesnt exist as a key in MacOS,

this combination works for BOOTCAMP emulation of Windows:

Fn+ESC (MacOS) = PAUSE (windows)

Note that the original LockOn does work in a virtual machine (Fusion) window under MacOS.

The Flaming Cliffs2, DCS-BlackShark and DCS- A10c do not. So its has something to do with

whatever they put in those products to reject VM running of their sims.

With the advent of the Intel based Macs that that the power to run these sims, it would be

valuable to allow these sims to run under virtual machines. If we have the reg code I hope

thats sufficient to allow us to choose whatever hardware and OS technology we choose to use.

It may be too late for LockOn, but how about going forward with DCS?

MacVistaVmLockOn.jpg

Edited by AV8R