A good soldier has died

104th_Cobra

Nobody referenced here this event, but for the importance of their story I think it has some space here.

Major Richard "Dick" D. Winters, Company "E", 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne Division, WW2 veteran , died January 2.

After the book and miniseries “Band of Brothers” he always used Staff Sergeant Myron "Mike" Ranney's line to his grandson, when asked if he was a hero: “No,” Ranney said “but I served in a company of heroes.”

For me, an example of a good soldier and leader, who experienced and learned to hate War. Like John Keegan wrote in “A History of Warfare”: “War is not the continuation of policy by other means”.

• Like 2

104th Cobra

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus G72GX | CPU: Core 2 Duo Overclocked @ 2.9Ghz | Memory 6GB DDR2 | Graphics Card: nVidia GTX 260m 1GB | OS: Windows 7 Home Premium | Monitor: Samsung 32" LCD

LOMAC 1.0 to FC 1.12 System RIP (2003-2010) | AMD Athlon 64 3000+ overclocked to 2565MHz | NVidia Geforce 7800 GS AGP 256 MB | 1GB Kingston PC2700 DDR DRAM | Windows 2000 with SP4

RIP

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Read this a few days ago. Without doubt one of an ever decreasing number of a generation heroes, it's a shame more of them haven't had their stories told.

Thank you Dick Winters, may you rest in peace.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

If I'm not wrong there is another veteran of the easy company here in GA; I had the luck to talk to him and other WW2 veterans.... just seeing their eyes shine wile they tell you their stories is incredible.

There is one gentleman that was part of the first unit to enter France; After that he had to fight in the Pacific! I talked to him because I saw that he was wearing a medal:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:CombatInfantry.gif

I asked him if he was a veteran; he basically told me that he was the only survivor of his company! and that he was ready to go... he lost his wife recently so he is looking forward to join her; the problem is is that he is strong as a rock!

There is another veteran that told me that he was crossing a bridge with his unit and the Germans send some type of radio control tank that exploded killing everybody except him! He said: "The Germans saved my life!" if it wasn't for that incident he could have ended death in another battle! he likes to brag of how strong he is for his age by pulling your arm; unfortunately his daughter dragged him out of the office :mad: she said "Dad don't start again; these people have to work".

I also talked to a b-17 pilot! He wasn't envolved in the combat; he just ferried the super-fortress to england to be flown by their crews in combat; he told me that that airplane was the best; landing was effortless; just reduce the throttle and it would land like a feather! he also showed me a picture of a biplane he build....

Again it is amazing to talk to this veterans; they are like walking history treasures.

Don't forget to read Dick's personal book, "Beyond Band of Brothers". It fills in a lot of the gaps and sets straight many things.

Sadly missed and a great Officer.

Currahee

System: Win10 Pro 64bit, Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 7 MB, Intel i& 8700K, Corsair H150i Pro Cooler, Corsair Vengeance LED DDR4 16GB, PNY NVidia 1070 GTX, Corsair MP500 & MP600 SSD, Soundblaster Audigy Rx, CM Mastercase H500P, Oculus Rift S, TM Warthogs.