Game Mode Idiot.

Shootist

Really beginning to feel like one. I am not a pilot but have always loved sims. I have been immersing myself in the training totorials but would love to get out there and actually blow some shit up!:lol:

Putting it on game mode I have found all targets lit up nicely but have not been able to figure out the weapons. pressing M doesn't seem to cycle thru them for me or bring up the gun. Or maybe I don't even know how to cycle M. Shouldn't game mode make life simple? I know this game is as maximum as simming gets and I am loving it. I just need to settle those testosterone itches a bit.:D

Asus P8P67Pro, Intel i7, 8gb DDR3, OCZ Vertex3, 120gb SSD, GForce GTX 560, Cooler Master GX850, Win 7, Logi X 3D Pro.

Really beginning to feel like one. I am not a pilot but have always loved sims. I have been immersing myself in the training totorials but would love to get out there and actually blow some shit up!:lol:

Putting it on game mode I have found all targets lit up nicely but have not been able to figure out the weapons. pressing M doesn't seem to cycle thru them for me or bring up the gun. Or maybe I don't even know how to cycle M. Shouldn't game mode make life simple? I know this game is as maximum as simming gets and I am loving it. I just need to settle those testosterone itches a bit.:D

Your best bet is to read the "quick flight manual" in the Docs folder where you installed A-10. It will explain how to select and use the weapons in "Game" mode.

If i remember correctly, to change weapons in game mode you use the 'D' key, 'M' is for the MasterMode in sim mode.

AMD Athlon II X2 240 2.8@3360 MHz | MB Asus M4A78-EM | 4GB DDR2-800 Kingston | XFX HD 5770 @850-900/1200-1300 | 500G Samsung HD502HI | Case CM 335 | CM-EPP 460W | Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit) | Saitek X65F | Freetrack(Wii Remote) | LG 23' W2353V

Have you tried the training missions yet? I really recommend them - they lead you through the avionics and weapons deployment step by step (well not quite, you do have to remember a few steps, but you get text prompts and can always pause to take it all in before proceeding).

Intel Core i7-950, 6GB Corsair DDR3, Nvidia GTX460 1GB, TM HOTAS Warthog, CH Rudder Pedals, Track-IR4Pro, Helios

using game mode in DCS is like... i can't think of anything that's like using game mode

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

MB: DFI Lanparty UT P35-T2R

CPU: Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 @ 3,6 GHz @ 1,328V

VGA: MSI GTX460 HAWK @ 850/1700/1000 MHz

MFCD: Eizo S2231 22" S-PVA

RAM: A-Data Vitesta 2 x 2048 MB @ 960 MHz

FLT EQPM: Saitek X-52 Pro, TrackIR 5

The opposite tack to mic is taking, well done for playing the game the way you enjoy. While I've always liked the complexity of hardcore simming, I recently tried DCS:BS in game mode. Having already learnt the hard way it was simply to play about with the game as a "whole" before going back to sim mode. However, I really enjoyed game mode and will definitely run a mission or two in it from time to time.

My advice for sim mode - it can be VERY frustrating to begin with. However sticking with it for a few days makes things rapidly improve. It took me (with my tutorial-hate) 2 days to teach myself how to turn the a10 on. A further day failing each mission to sam fire and general inability to deploy weapons. now, 5 days after purchase, I am comfortably completing the easier missions with only the radio simplified.

Either way, enjoy the game however you wish to play. If only my friends would try game mode to get over their fear of flight sims.

I've printed out the Quickstart guide and it seems like it is a shortened version of the tutorials. M is for Master mode in it, haven't found the D key reference yet, but I'll try it.

Asus P8P67Pro, Intel i7, 8gb DDR3, OCZ Vertex3, 120gb SSD, GForce GTX 560, Cooler Master GX850, Win 7, Logi X 3D Pro.

Ya know what guys? the man asked a simple question and he gets sarcastic replys about "How could he dare play it in game mode" or "Read the Manual". For your information I play A10 only in game mode. I don't have the time to learn every control in this sim as beautiful as it is and if I did want to learn every control I would re-enlist and go to pilot school.

Remember that there are some us out here who are not as immersed in the sim as you may be but we still paid the same price as everyone else.

Where can I find this quick guide you mention? all I see is the short guide and it does not seem to be the one you refer to. :D

Ya know what guys? the man asked a simple question and he gets sarcastic replys about "How could he dare play it in game mode" or "Read the Manual". For your information I play A10 only in game mode. I don't have the time to learn every control in this sim as beautiful as it is and if I did want to learn every control I would re-enlist and go to pilot school.

Remember that there are some us out here who are not as immersed in the sim as you may be but we still paid the same price as everyone else.

Where can I find this quick guide you mention? all I see is the short guide and it does not seem to be the one you refer to. :D

To be clear, my response wasn't meant as "RTFM n00b". I glanced at the quick start manual briefly and it seemed to have instructions for "Game" mode, so I was trying to be helpful.

I would have no idea where else the controls for "Game" mode would be explained... they're definitely not in the main manual.

It's human nature. Everyone is critical of waste at some point in their lives and everyone comments about it. He wasted his life, such a waste of a partner, what a waste of a gym membership. The same principles apply here - you're wasting the potential of the sim by playing in game mode. And the same reactions apply when other people see waste happening, particularly about something that they're passionate about.

But in the end like most social commentaries, other people can't do much about it and it's really up to the waster to see if they've got a thick skin about it all.

Nothing wrong with cautioning people to read the very clear and extensive directions that come with the product. The problem is laziness. You don't buy a $60 stereo and immediately call up the manufacturer with simple questions... you grab the manual that came with it. (If you're an adult who can read.)

That's the caution we're suggesting. You know the sim/game comes with a manual. Do just a LITTLE searching using some common sense and you will find it, and it will more than likely have your answers.

People are asking complicated questions about in-depth avionics systems and being told to RTFM. If you ask a question about how to "switch weapon" in game mode, you can probably expect to receive at least the same treatment. Be an adult, slow down, and help yourself first!

using game mode in DCS is like... i can't think of anything that's like using game mode

Buying a $200000 sports car and then only driving it in a parking lot?

That's what playing DCS in game mode is like.

Intelligent discourse can only begin with the honest admission of your own fallibility.

Member of the Virtual Tactical Air Group: http://vtacticalairgroup.com/

Lua scripts and mods:

MIssion Scripting Tools (Mist): http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=98616

Slmod version 7.0 for DCS: World: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=80979

Now includes remote server administration tools for kicking, banning, loading missions, etc.

It seems like the quick start manual doesn't go into "Game" mode either.

I'd say your best bet is to switch the avionics to "Game" mode, then look at the control remapper under options and see what they're set to.

It's funny how it's actually harder to play the game in "Casual" mode than regular simulation mode, given that there is little to no explanation of how to operate it in the less complex mode....

It seems like the quick start manual doesn't go into "Game" mode either.

I'd say your best bet is to switch the avionics to "Game" mode, then look at the control remapper under options and see what they're set to.

It's funny how it's actually harder to play the game in "Casual" mode than regular simulation mode, given that there is little to no explanation of how to operate it in the less complex mode....

That's usually because you can run your finger over every key on the keyboard to find out what something does in game mode - well in most simple games that's how it works.

to get back to the topic/question: I guess the quick and dirty way would be to go to the options page -> controls in game and select Game mode at the top left... at least all commands in one place.

The short manual does not contain anything about game mode.

So the question is not the least silly or laziness! He simply points out that there is no(!) reference to look if playing in game mode :smilewink:

Edit: Yes, I admit: I never switched to game mode, too!

Edited by shagrat

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Buying a $200000 sports car and then only driving it in a parking lot?

That's what playing DCS in game mode is like.

Come on Speed I thought you were better than that! Shootist I invite you to visit our website and log onto our Team Speak server any time you see me or Mojo on there. We would be happy to take you under our wing so to speak and walk you through the steps in selecting weapons, aquiring targets, and firing various weapons. I know the sim can be a little intimidating as can a lot of people on the forum. We have found the best way to learn is to get in the virtual sky with a few fellow enthusiasts and learn by doing. We'd be happy to have you join us any time. If you want you can pm me if I'm not on and I may be able to meet you there. I am on EST time and usually around after 6 or 7pm. Hope to hear from you soon. www.16thaccw.com/j/

AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Six-Core Processor 3.4 GHz

32 Gb RAM, Nvidea GTX 1050 TI

Water Cooled, Windows 10 64 bit

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrUnSavory viewpost.gif

Where can I find this quick guide you mention? all I see is the short guide and it does not seem to be the one you refer to. biggrin.gif

To be clear, my response wasn't meant as "RTFM n00b". I glanced at the quick start manual briefly and it seemed to have instructions for "Game" mode, so I was trying to be helpful.

I would have no idea where else the controls for "Game" mode would be explained... they're definitely not in the main manual.

No, yours wasn't but some were, and besides where are any key guides for that matter!? I work on combat aircraft and i can barely remember my own switch check let alone a virtual aircraft aswell! I keep trying to find the TIALD in my spare time and the CDU at work lol

MEIN GOTT! Did I start all this? Let's all just step back and take a breath. I took no offense at any of the light hearted remarks. So, let's drop it.

Now, back on track.

The Quickstart guide is one of several manuals installed with the game Goto: Start; all programs; Eagle Dynamics; DCS A-10C; and there's your list of Adobe Reader manuals.

I jumped into the first quick mission, fiddled with everything and was unable to bring up the gun (circular one) site or get the DSMS to display 'guns'. Jumped out and switched to sim mode and had no problem doing this on retry. So, forget about game mode. Who needs it anyways when it's really not much different from sim besides all the brightly lit icons. And of course sim mode seems to work.

So, let's all get out there and, well....blow things up!:smilewink:

Shootist....Come on over to the 16th Team Speak 3 server...I know how you feel. TS3 server info; 16thaccw.org port 9987 no password needed..

I'll be hapy to show you around a bit...Sometimes all ya need is to get a heads up on how things work!!!

Mojeaux out

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I want everyone to behave and keep their manners about them. If you cannot stay civil you should step away from the computer.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester