How Do I Add A JTAC/FAC TO Fast Mission

I've tried a couple of the Campaign missions and have encountered some of the bugs like aircraft becoming stuck on the taxiways etc. So until these are fixed I am using the SP 'Fast Mission' option. I'm finding these pretty hard unless I have labels on, which I don't like as it's obviously not very realistic.

I have created one or two missions with the Mission Editor, so I have a very BASIC grasp of this tool. How can I add a simple JTAC or FAC to the Fast Mission to make it a bit more playable.

Thanks

GAJ52

Intel i7-7700K @ 4.60GHz | 32 GB Ram | Win 10 Pro 64 | GTX 1080i 11.00MB | Saitek X52 Pro

IIRC you can save the generated mission. Then open it in editor stick your own units down assign them the roles etc in the advanced tab and Bobs your uncle:thumbup:

Simples:smilewink:

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

IIRC you can save the generated mission. Then open it in editor stick your own units down assign them the roles etc in the advanced tab and Bobs your uncle:thumbup:

Simples:smilewink:

How does what you just described possibly answer his question?

You just throw some units into the mission editor, assign them roles, and JTAC will transmit you a data link that gives you a red triangle on their location to engage them while flying the mission and then, well Bobs your uncle winky smiley thumbs up?

Edited by FlyinJ

Well he states he has a basic grasp of editing and he asked how to add units to the mission generated.

Perhaps if you know better you can inform him. Otherwise why bother to flame me?

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ok Gaj just for you mate.

If you generate a mission you then before flying go to the edit mission Tab

Save as from the drop down menu and give it your own name.

decide what unit you require for JTAC and place him near the enemies. But not too near.

Once placed go to the advanced waypoints tab on the left.

Add=Perform command-assign freq. default is 131 am. I generally assign an FM freq for ground units. IE 30 FM

Add=Perform command-assign callsign. Deathstar or whatever you like.

Add=Perform command-Immortal. (So the enemy dont kill him before the tasking)

Add=Perform command-Invisible. (if you want to)

Add=Perform TASK- FAC>assign group

This gives you a bigger drop down menu. when you assign a group then you get a box to allocate the munitions you would like the JTAC to ask for. IE Bombs>Cluster bombs

There is also an option to assign the Rules Of Engagment ROE and dispersal underfire.

Hope this helps

• Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Heres what I do.

After you generate mission, hit edit mission. I add one predator at 25,000 feet, assign his mission as AFAC, then give him 4 waypoints in a box pattern over enemy territory. At the last waypoint, add the command "switch to", and select the first waypoint. This will make the predator fly an indefinite box pattern over the enemy area. It works better than the "Orbit" command, he will cover more area. If you really care about the predator, you can also give him a "RTB if bingo" command at the last waypoint, but it isn't necessaty.

The eye in the sky will talk you into every target.

If you use the FAC assign group command, I don't think the FAC will see any other targets, only the one you assign it. Its best not to use that command.

Using a predator, you dont have to worry about the enemy killing your JTAC on the ground and ruining all the fun. A ground JTAC also wont see as much.

Edited by RichardG
  • Like 1

Gentlemen,

Many thanks for your help its really appreciated.

Your first answer Cibit threw me a bit, as I said I only had a very basic knowledge of the mission editor :huh: Thanks for clarifying what you meant in the second answer.

I prefer not to save a Fast Mission, just create and fly. I like the idea of just adding a Preditor, flying out of harms way that can direct me onto the available targets - thanks for the info Richard. I think initially I will give this a go for the Fast missions, then look at Cibits advice for any self created missions.

:thumbup:

GAJ52

Intel i7-7700K @ 4.60GHz | 32 GB Ram | Win 10 Pro 64 | GTX 1080i 11.00MB | Saitek X52 Pro

Richard

I have tried your method of using the Predator at 25,000 ft and it works well, I found the option to link up the last waypoint with the first so he keeps flying the 'box' circuit. Only problem is once he announces "flying over waypoint 2 or sometimes 3" he then says RTB and clears off ?? I've checked his fuel in the mission editor and it indicated full.

Any idea what might be going on :huh:

GAJ52

Hi Cibit

Thanks for your continued help.

Hi did you remove the rtb at bingo command? That may help or an orbit command at the 3rd waypoint?

No, I didn't touch the RTB command I thought I had to add this if I wanted it, I'll take a closer look.

Gaj would another pdf for afac be of use?

That would be very useful - thankyou :)

GAJ52

Hey, I created a fast mission for me and my buddy with the predator JTAC. It works well. I set the waypoint command on last waypoint to switch back to waypoint 1 and he makes nice loops around the battlefield and sends us target information. On last waypoint he always announces RTB but he never actually does - he switches back to WP1 and continues his bussiness. So far okay. But why this JTAC doesn't send us the target information via datalink ? I never received any msg from him. It's not a big deal - I can type in those coords manually but I was just wondering if its possible to make him use the datalink. Any ideas ?

Edited by lanmancz

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Elite, Intel i9 9900K, Fractal Design Kelvin S36, Zotac GTX 1070 8GB AMP Extreme, 32GB DDR4 HyperX CL15 Predator Series @ 3000 MHz, Kingston SSD 240GB (OS), Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 NVMe (sim), Fractal Design Define R5 Black Window, EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2, Win 10 Home x64, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Thrustmaster MFD Cougar Pack, TrackIR (DelanClip), 3x 27" BenQ EW2740L, Oculus Rift S

I also hear him say he's "RTB and clearing off" when he gets to last waypoint....but he doesn't. Watch him, he will continue to fly the pattern.

Regarding the data link, you have to go through the entire JTAC/AFAC radio sequence, the last thing he will do is give you the data link. It goes something like "I'm here JTAC, reporting in", he gives you target coordinates, then you read them back, then he gives you follow up information, THEN he gives you the data link.

I used to make the mistake of bombing the target without reading the coordinates back. It screws up the JTAC logic.

Edited by RichardG

Regarding the data link, you have to go through the entire JTAC/AFAC radio sequence, the last thing he will do is give you the data link. It goes something like "I'm here JTAC, reporting in", he gives you target coordinates, then you read them back, then he gives you follow up information, THEN he gives you the data link.

Yup. But the procedure is not my problem. He even says "wait for data" or something like that (after I did the readback) and I should get the new msg from him but I dont get it.

Try setting your group id to 01 and own id to 01. See if that works

Thanks. That might be the cause of problem now when I think of it. I will verify that the networks are set correctly. I think that's the thing I forgot to set up in the editor.

I used to make the mistake of bombing the target without reading the coordinates back. It screws up the JTAC logic.

Yeah I noticed that as well. If it's not all done by the book he just doesn't speak to me anymore even when I request new target - nothing. Not a word until I respwn.

Anyway, thanks all for suggestions.

Edited by lanmancz

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Elite, Intel i9 9900K, Fractal Design Kelvin S36, Zotac GTX 1070 8GB AMP Extreme, 32GB DDR4 HyperX CL15 Predator Series @ 3000 MHz, Kingston SSD 240GB (OS), Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 NVMe (sim), Fractal Design Define R5 Black Window, EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2, Win 10 Home x64, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Thrustmaster MFD Cougar Pack, TrackIR (DelanClip), 3x 27" BenQ EW2740L, Oculus Rift S

Thanks. That might be the cause of problem now when I think of it. I will verify that the networks are set correctly. I think that's the thing I forgot to set up in the editor.

Anyway, thanks all for suggestions.

If there is only one flight then it will be ID 01 and a second group will be 02. You should not have to do anything. If in doubt when you talk to tower or JTAC your call sign is used. Hawg 1, 1 should be id1 grp1 in your SADL

Clear as mud but I hope you catch the drift

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Is there a way to set the GRP and OWN for each unit in the editor ? For example if I want to have 2 JTACs in a mission and first to be in GRP 1 and second in GRP 2 ?

btw thanks again. i think i know what the problem was - I was a second flight therefore by default I was GRP 2 for sure and JTAC was GRP 1. (I guess - I will see tonight how it works)

update : no, it doesnt work either. I think the problem is that I created "fast mission" using mission generator, which created a battlefield for me with lots of friendly and enemy units. Then I manually created a predator JTACs and 2 client A10s (for me and my buddy). I think that since there already were lots of units created by the generator, the predator got assigned some GRP like 23 or something so setting myself to GRP 01 wont do any good. I think I need to set his GRP and OWN in the editor manually and it will be ok. Trouble is that I'm not sure how. Or I need to find out in which GRP the predator is. Im not sure how to do that either.

Edited by lanmancz

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]