DCS noob friendly?

Username455

Yes it is definitely worth it but as said her it can be a bit overwhelming at first. Take it easy and read the manual for an hour every night (you can download the manual without buying) and fly some short training mission when time allows. You will see me commenting other places that it is a game but it is really as Dragon says, it is a hobby, but some players need to hear that it is not for real, that’s why I call it a game also. So it is a very well done SIM with a lot of features to learn and cuts chunks of time out of the evenings. If you do not have hours upon hours to spend on a learning SIM I recommend spending 30 bucks on FC2 instead.

(HJ)

... I hear this is very complex (but with that comes great reward). Would someone with almost 0 flying experience still enjoy this game? Is the "game" mode good enough for a beginner to get started on to enjoy a few missions?...

Like you I've always had an interest in learning a sim, but have only dabbled until now. Until recently I couldn't have told you the difference between flaps and ailerons!

I've been learning the A-10C since beta, but my PC time is limited and so progress has been slow. However, I think what you already heard, and what everyone else is saying here in this thread, is spot on - this thing is very complex but it is also very rewarding.

Personally, I'd skip the game mode. It is the learning, and conquering your ignorance, that is most satisfying and I don't think you'd get this from game mode. I haven't even flown a single mission yet, just training and practicing, and I'm still really enjoying myself and totally hooked.

Would you definitely enjoy it? Who knows! Of all my mates that play PC games, none of them are the slightest bit interested in flying and so it's not for everyone. Me, I love it.

From one beginner to another, the trick to learning this thing is to make good use of everything available to you - the manual, this forum, You Tube and the training missions. As others have mentioned elsewhere in this forum, the manual is incredibly comprehensive but not arranged in the best sequence for a beginner. For example, pages 83 to 90 describing the HOTAS functions are complete gobbledegook for an absolute beginner and it's only by the time I got to page 410 that I had a basic understanding of the stuff that was mentioned so much earlier in the manual.

I know it's a cliche, but I think you only get out as much as you put in.

You'll know you've 'arrived', when you find yourself posting on this forum and explaining to a newcomer how to set the TGP or TAD to SOI and set the SPI so you can use CCRP in 3/9 mode to drop a IAM JDAM GBU-38...

Windows 10 | i5 2500k @ 4.4Ghz | MSI GTX 970 4GB | 8GB RAM | ASRock P67 Extreme4 | Seasonic X-Series 650W PSU | Oculus Rift DK2 | CH Fighterstick, Throttle & Pedals

Hello everyone,

I am on the fence about getting this game. It would be my first true sim game which makes it a little daunting. I hear this is very complex (but with that comes great reward). Would someone with almost 0 flying experience still enjoy this game? Is the "game" mode good enough for a beginner to get started on to enjoy a few missions? I have always been fascinated by flying so I will be eager to learn, but I don't want to be completely lost, frustrated, and quit.

What do you think?

I haven't read every reply and I'm sure this has been covered, but I'll give my 2 cents.

First, don't handicap yourself right off the bat. Get a HOTAS setup. If you don't want that type of commitment.. I'd reconsider.

Other than that.. love to learn. This is an on-going effort that requires motivation to learn. Though, It's extremely rewarding. Every day I experience incremental achievements through learning the sim and it's something that I'll probably play for years. In terms of gaming, it's the biggest bang for the buck I've gotten since Falcon 4.0 over a decade ago (which I played off and on for said 10 years)

The sim genre has probably ruined first-person shooters and block-buster games for me forever. With PSN back up again I loaded up CoD the other day for the first time since 7-8 months or so, and it was just extremely dull and boring. Same thing seems to happen with most other games. I have successfully resisted the urge to buy Portal 2 and some of the other recent popular titles, knowing it will just be played for 1-2 days.

Same here. I have 2 games I love. DCS and Evercrack II. Unfortunately Evercrack II is crack on steroids so I havent flown the hog in awhile. When I do, all I ever play is the first instant mission. Learning to start the hog is fun the first few times but I find cold starts to get old if your gonna get blown up in 5 minutes. So start with all the training missions and replay them till your comfortable with it, and then just run the instant action mission. Its probably the easiest mission in the game but its challenging enough that I have yet to complete it so I feel it has tons of replayability just on that one mission. I havent figured out how to do the last sequence and usually I die on the tanks gunning me down because I keep trying to unsuccessfully kill them with my guns. I dont like to use mavs except on sams and AAA. Once you learn the system basics, this is probably the best one to start with.

Edited by sweinhart3

Intel i7 990X, 6GB DDR3, Nvidia GTX 470 x2 SLI, Win 7 x64

http://picasaweb.google.com/sweinhart

From one beginner to another, the trick to learning this thing is to make good use of everything available to you - the manual, this forum, You Tube and the training missions.

NO! :music_whistling: sorry for contradiction.

See my quote:

The most efficient learning method is to learn in a team!

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=73911

@=STP= Dragon: No apology required. I'm sure team flying is an amazing way to learn and it's fantastic that there are generous people like you out there that are prepared to use their precious time to train people. Let's append "and team multiplier" to my list.

But I'm sure I'm not the only one who either:

(1) Wants to get the basics right before participating online, and/or

(2) Doesn't have a team offering training in the same time zone, and/or

(3) Has kids/work commitments that means that flying time has to be snatched rather than planned.

Edited by latearrival
corrected Dragon's user name

Windows 10 | i5 2500k @ 4.4Ghz | MSI GTX 970 4GB | 8GB RAM | ASRock P67 Extreme4 | Seasonic X-Series 650W PSU | Oculus Rift DK2 | CH Fighterstick, Throttle & Pedals