Questions regarding the HOTAS Warthog

Niehorst

got it yesterday. No need to say more than just "... every penny!" :thumbup::thumbup:

But some things are confusing me a little:

-Shouldn't I be able to start the engines with the throttle itself?

(Can't even put the start/shutdown commands on other switches on the throttle...)

-What are the 4 switches in the upper right corner of the throttle for?

(Eng Fuel Flow L - R; Norm/Override and Eng Oper IGN Norm Motor)

-You guys really use the Throttle Button as a second Autopilot engage/disengage?

-What about the "other pinky swith" on the stick?

Someone got a good use for it?

-How do you deal with the Hog's Slew Control? Wish it would be a normal coolie hat, buts it's a kind of trackball/ministick

Sorry for my noobish questions :music_whistling:

Tried A-10C about half a year ago in the BETA status and I'm now getting into it again...

THX for ya help mates! :pilotfly:

NZXT H400i case

i9 9900k @ 4,9GHz (cooled by NZXT Kraken X62 4x140Fan - Push/Pull)

Asus RoG Maximus XI Gene with 32GB G.Skill CL14

Samsung M.2 970Pro 1000GB

ZOTAC RTX 2080ti Triple Fan 11GB

34" RoG Swift Curved TFT

runs smooth like Beck's Gold :D

HTC VIVE pro eYe (still freaking out!)

Thrust Master HOTAS Warthog on MONSTERTECH table mounts

15cm Stick Extension + red spring by SAHAJ 8 (<-- love them)

(TM F-18C ordered)

TPR (Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder)

T.Flight USAF Headset

Make sure you have Synchronize cockpit controls with hotas at mission start Ticked, in Options/Misc:thumbup:

Intel Core i5-2500K 3.30GHz Overclock 4.20GHz

MSI P67A-GD65 Intel P67 (socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard

Kingston HyperX Genesis Grey 8GB (4x2GB) DDR3 PC3-16000C9 2133MHz

Corsair Hydro H70 High-Performance CPU WaterCooler

XFX:ATI Radeon 6970 2048MB GDDR5 Graphics Card ATI

Trackir 5.....Hotas Warthog

Regards

Engage:thumbup:

Some good info in the dcs a-10 manual regarding the warthog :)

CPU: Intel I7 7700k /Ram:32gb_ddr4

GFX: Nvidia Asus 1080 8Gb

Mon: Asus vg2448qe 24"

Disk: SSD

Stick: TM Warthog #1400/Saitek pro pedals/TIR5/TM MFDs

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

-Shouldn't I be able to start the engines with the throttle itself?

(Can't even put the start/shutdown commands on other switches on the throttle...)

The simulator should auto-detect, unless you have forced a TARGET profile. In case of autodetection, lifting the throttle elements over the detent will indeed start the engines.

You may have to ensure that the throttle is "neutraled" for DX to start listening for input properly. This would mean Flaps middle, Engine governors Override, APU off, AP ALT/HDG, EAC and RDR ALTM down, hats and switches middle, pinky middle, and throttles idle. I haven't quite managed to pin down what exactly makes it happen, but worth checking.

-What are the 4 switches in the upper right corner of the throttle for?

(Eng Fuel Flow L - R; Norm/Override and Eng Oper IGN Norm Motor)

With Eng Fuel Flow on normal, your electronic engine governor controls fuel flow. In override, your "throttles" become actual throttles - that is, their position corresponds to a given fuel flow.

IGN switches the same - when in the middle position the electronics control ignition. If for some reason you need to control ignition manually, pulling them forward fires the ignitor.

-You guys really use the Throttle Button as a second Autopilot engage/disengage?

I use it as standard/real Hog. That is, Autopilot engage/disengage. I like to keep my hands on the HOTAS as much as possible, and working AP with a finger is better than releasing the throttles since I might be operating sensors at the same time.

Not extant in the real hog. I use it as NVG switch. Some use it for wheelbreak.

-How do you deal with the Hog's Slew Control? Wish it would be a normal coolie hat, buts it's a kind of trackball/ministick

Like a ministick, though I have increased the curvature slightly in axis controls. The point of it is that depending on how much you deflect it the speed of slew changes. tHis would not be possible with a coolie.

Edited by EtherealN

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Make sure you have Synchronize cockpit controls with hotas at mission start Ticked, in Options/Misc:thumbup:

Ah, yeah, just forgot that...

I activated that option, but it doesnt seem to work.

All switches are always in the position according to the mission.

(ramp start or start from runway)

btw: I didnt install any software. Just plugged in and it works. Do I have to install anything so that DCS fully recognize the HOTAS?

In controls it shows me the Warthog stick & throttle, but in start-up procedure Im not able to move the throttle until I started the corresponding enginge by keyboard input.

Edited by Niehorst

NZXT H400i case

34" RoG Swift Curved TFT

(TM F-18C ordered)

T.Flight USAF Headset

No special installation should be necessary.

The synch should allow you to look at the controls in cockpit and change your physical throttle to mirror it - not the other way around. (If memory serves, I don't use that feature personally.)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Speaking of the mini-stick, would it be possible to take the one out of the cougar throttle to replace the one on the warthog for better usage?

A-10C - FC3 - CA - L-39 - UH1 - P-51 - Hawk - BS2 - F-86 - Gazelle - F-5E - AV8B - F/A-18C

i5-4590 - GTX 1060 - Oculus CV1 - TM:Warthog

[sIGPIC]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic9979_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

You mean physically swap them out?

I don't know if it would work, maybe, but I can say that you'll definitely not have any warranty left. ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

yeah I figured that. I was thinking since the ministick on the cougar has a great feel to it in that it moves, that it would be better in the warthog.

A-10C - FC3 - CA - L-39 - UH1 - P-51 - Hawk - BS2 - F-86 - Gazelle - F-5E - AV8B - F/A-18C

You wanna take that gamble on a $500 stick?

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

(...)

In controls it shows me the Warthog stick & throttle, but in start-up procedure Im not able to move the throttle until I started the corresponding enginge by keyboard input.

It really looks like you haven't noticed you can lift both throttles UP and pull them further back past IDLE point to turn engines to OFF... could you check and confirm ?

In addition to the above answers. I use the "paddle" on the stick as a modifier (assign in game, don't use TARGET) so that I can add other functions to buttons on the HOTAS. For example, I zoom in and out using my mike switch with the paddle, very handy for gun runs and searching.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

You wanna take that gamble on a $500 stick?

Well, that's why I asked. I figured the warranty would be voided by doing so, but... It seems to me that the older cougar style mini-stick was much nicer than the warthog super-mini-trackball thingy. :music_whistling:

Of course, I don't have a Warthog, which is why I'm asking all this.

Edited by hog_driver111th

It is not possible tmk

CPU: Intel I7 7700k /Ram:32gb_ddr4

GFX: Nvidia Asus 1080 8Gb

Mon: Asus vg2448qe 24"

Disk: SSD

Stick: TM Warthog #1400/Saitek pro pedals/TIR5/TM MFDs

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It really looks like you haven't noticed you can lift both throttles UP and pull them further back past IDLE point to turn engines to OFF... could you check and confirm ?

:megalol::megalol::megalol:

well, I guess that's the point! lol

Just tried to pull the Throttle up. Didnt noticed that before.

Very Cool!

anything more I need to know about this incredible controller? :pilotfly:

NZXT H400i case

34" RoG Swift Curved TFT

(TM F-18C ordered)

T.Flight USAF Headset

You see, it could not be anything else! your arrival will be remembered :thumbup: and glorious Klingon songs are on the way.

And yeah, there is so much so say about this controller that I'm pretty sure all has been already said everywhere in these forums... we've got much to read there!

anything more I need to know about this incredible controller? :pilotfly:

Yes, note that you can use the included tool (I don't remember what they're called in english) to invert the bracket between the two holders. This would create a similar detent for Afterburners in sims with planes thusly equipped. Should be some instruction in the documentation.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Yes, note that you can use the included tool (I don't remember what they're called in english) to invert the bracket between the two holders. This would create a similar detent for Afterburners in sims with planes thusly equipped. Should be some instruction in the documentation.

this tool Hex Key

you tube has tutorial too how to open it

Edited by Winters79
link

:joystick:

good to know!!! :thumbup:

one more cool feature!

NZXT H400i case

34" RoG Swift Curved TFT

(TM F-18C ordered)

T.Flight USAF Headset

No special installation should be necessary.

The synch should allow you to look at the controls in cockpit and change your physical throttle to mirror it - not the other way around. (If memory serves, I don't use that feature personally.)

Sorry, I can't understand how it really works. In wich way the synch allow to mirror cockpit's controls? :huh:

Sorry, I can't understand how it really works. In wich way the synch allow to mirror cockpit's controls? :huh:

It works like this. If you have a TM HOTAS Warthog, or a home built cockpit with manual switches/dials, you can select the synchronize cockpit controls option. This changes the pause functionality used at the beginning of entering the sim. Recall that you have to hit the pause key to bring the sim from it's initial load view, to a "live" sim.

If you have the Synchronize Cockpit Controls checked in controls, you will now have 2 presses of the pause key needed to get the sim into a live state.

With Synchronize Cockpit Controls active, The first press of the pause key will bring the sim into a paused world, live cockpit state. The state of the cockpit is shown as it will be when the sim goes live. This gives the user the ability to set his switches on the TM HOTAS Warthog manually to accurately reflect the state that the switches in the cockpit will be in when the sim goes live.

When you are satisfied by looking at the cockpit that the controls are in sync with the Warthog, then you press the Pause key a 2nd time to bring the sim to a full live state.

Edited by WarriorX

• ED Team

Look at the attached screenshot. Are you talking about the 1st switch, or about the 2nd one?

The first is Emergency Disconnect Lever. Per -1: "Momentary

actuation of the lever immediately deactivates both the anti-skid

and SAS systems and the switches go to OFF." By default it is not mapped, but you can do it manually in Options->Controls.

The second switch is Nosewheel Steering Switch. In-flight it also controls the laser fire.

DSC_0065.thumb.jpg.fb9bef94111178e8c25dca4edc1e77a2.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

К чему стадам дары свободы?

Их должно резать или стричь.

Наследство их из рода в роды

Ярмо с гремушками да бич.