Campaign Questions

KaspeR32

Hey everyone,

So I've finally figured I knew enough about weapon systems, radio commands, JTAC, and navigation to finally give the campaign a go.

I just want to start off by saying I was a little overwhelmed at first. The amount of "chatter" going on is unreal. I guess I have to delve back into the flight manual or search for more forum posts but, I didn't have a clue what the AWACS was talking about, like pop-up groups, headings, etc. Also, there are some missions where I can contact other flights, such as Uzi, Colt, etc. (F-16s, F-18s, etc) But when I contact them it seems they just give me some information about their current waypoint and altitude.

So my question is this, can somebody point me to maybe a walkthrough or just general information on AWACS and flights? Are they even interactive? Like if I see an SA-13 can I tell a SEAD flight to take it out?

Also what do most people prefer when dropping CBU-87s? CR 3/9 or 5 mil or standard CCIP?

Thanks and hopefully this hasn't been asked a hundred times before, I didn't see anything too glaringly obvious in the short search that I did.

Edited by KaspeR32

Intel i5-2500k @ 4.4GHz w/ H70 liquid cooler, ASRock PRO3-M Z68 Mobo, 32G 1600Mhz Mushkin RAM, EVGA GTX970 4GB , OCZ Agility 3 128g SSD, SanDisk 240g SSD, Win7 64-bit

--Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/livingfood --

Pretty much were I find myself as well. Thank you for asking the questions

Win7 x64, I7-950 HD 5800 ThrustMaster Hotas WartHog, IRTracker 5, ThrustMaster Saitek Pro Flight Rudder, MFD Couger V2

I pretty much always drop CBU's in CCRP mode cause it's an area of effect weapon and it allows me to have standoff height.

Spoiler

W10-x64 | Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra | Core i7 9700K @ 4.8Ghz | Noctua NH-D15

Corsair 32Gb 3200 | MSI RTX 3080ti Gaming X

Asus Xonar AE | TM Hotas Warthog

MFG Crosswind pedals | Valve Index

KaspeR32 etal...

Google "Brevity Code" and you should get a good list of all the weird and wonderful code words and their meanings. Look for a USAF one. Also try a quick search in the ED Forums using those search words. I'd be surprised if Paulkrii hasn't already made one up.

Good luck with your studies....

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

After doing a bit more research I'm starting to understand the terminology that the flights and AWACS are using.

Hawg 1-1, Magic, BRA, 337 for 50, 20000, flanking

Hawg 1-1 is me

Magic = the AWACS

BRA = Bearing Range Altitude

337 for 50 = bearing 337 from me at 50 km is target

20000 = altitude in feet

flanking = not heading towards me but more parallel?

Anyway, I can figure that out as time goes on. I just saw a video on CDU offset (bullseye) on youtube which helped tremendously. (Although when they say "at bullseye 277 for 13" and " at bulls 277 for 13", is that the same thing?

Now with the flights. Are there specific targets you can have the SEAD and CAS attack? Or in the campaign for example, do you basically contact them when you want them "triggered"? Meaning they will do their own thing and you just tell them when to start.

I guess if that's the case, and you're being lit up by tons of AAA and SAM radars near the target area, it'd be a good idea to fall back a little, "trigger" the SEAD and CAS flights, and wait until the area is clear to move in. Or take out some of the more visible threats yourself (if you have the ammunition to spare.)

Thanks again guys!

Intel i5-2500k @ 4.4GHz w/ H70 liquid cooler, ASRock PRO3-M Z68 Mobo, 32G 1600Mhz Mushkin RAM, EVGA GTX970 4GB , OCZ Agility 3 128g SSD, SanDisk 240g SSD, Win7 64-bit

After doing a bit more research I'm starting to understand the terminology that the flights and AWACS are using.

Hawg 1-1, Magic, BRA, 337 for 50, 20000, flanking

Hawg 1-1 is me

Magic = the AWACS

BRA = Bearing Range Altitude

337 for 50 = bearing 337 from me at 50 km is target

20000 = altitude in feet

flanking = not heading towards me but more parallel?

Anyway, I can figure that out as time goes on. I just saw a video on CDU offset (bullseye) on youtube which helped tremendously. (Although when they say "at bullseye 277 for 13" and " at bulls 277 for 13", is that the same thing?

Now with the flights. Are there specific targets you can have the SEAD and CAS attack? Or in the campaign for example, do you basically contact them when you want them "triggered"? Meaning they will do their own thing and you just tell them when to start.

I guess if that's the case, and you're being lit up by tons of AAA and SAM radars near the target area, it'd be a good idea to fall back a little, "trigger" the SEAD and CAS flights, and wait until the area is clear to move in. Or take out some of the more visible threats yourself (if you have the ammunition to spare.)

Thanks again guys!

Yeah you are on the money for the AWACS bit.

Basically it will use 1 of 2 types of information depending on how far the detected threat is from you. If the threat is close (Within 50nm) it will include BRA in its report, meaning that its telling you the Bearing, Range, and Altitude from your current location. Hot, Cold, and Flanking is telling you if the enemy is heading towards you, away from you, or parallel to you respectively. "BRA, 95 for 30, 15,000 HOT" would thus mean that the enemy is 30 nautical miles away from you along bearing 95 (from you), at 15,000 feet, and heading towards you. (In this case hopefully you are down in the dirt if this is a fighter or have friendly CAP engaging them, or you have probably already noticed the very unfriendly looking RWR indication are probably about to eat an A-A missile ;) )

If the threat is further then 50nm from your location, you get a call including the word "Bulls" (Meaning bullseye, bulls, whatever). This includes the same information, but the information given information is related to the bullseye. "Bulls, 200 for 15, 25,000" means that the enemy is 15nm from the bullseye location along bearing 200 (from the Bulls location), and at 25,000 feet.

Most of this is in the radio section of the manual (page 651 in the current version), though I guess not completely explained.

As for the stock dynamic campaign I a believe that the f10 SEAD and CAP options tell the respective aircraft to depart their holding pattern and autonomously search the area for enemy air defenses/aircraft. My guess is the reason they are manually activated is so you can tell them to start once you are relatively close to the target (rather then having them dump all their missiles and RTB before you even get there). I don't think they actually target your SPI or anything like that.

Edit: Forgot to mention, when contacting the AWACS, "Request Bogey Dope" is a request for the information on the closest enemy aircraft, while "Request picture" means the AWACS will read off the information for all detected threats. "Pop up group" is a call from the AWACS meaning that it has detected a new enemy aircraft group (IE the enemy has just taken off, spawned in, come into detection range, become unmasked from terrain, etc).

Edited by RobC

Thanks Rob, great answer.

Lastly, Did I delete my Devil's Cross campaign by accident or with 1.0.0.9 is it taken out? I only have Georgian Hammer available to play right now.

Thanks Rob, great answer.

Lastly, Did I delete my Devil's Cross campaign by accident or with 1.0.0.9 is it taken out? I only have Georgian Hammer available to play right now.

they got removed in 1.009

you must download them

here is the link http://files.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/84753/

:smartass::thumbup:

Do you think that getting 9 women pregnant will get you a baby in 1 month?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mobo: Asus P8P67 deluxe Monitor: Lg 22'' 1920*1080

CPU: i7 2600k@ 4.8Ghz +Zalman CNPS9900 max

Keyboard: Logitech G15

GPU:GTX 980 Strix Mouse: Sidewinder X8

PSU: Corsair TX750w Gaming Devices: Saytek X52, TrackIr5

RAM: Mushkin 2x4gb ddr3 9-9-9-24 @1600mhz

Case: 690 SSD: Intel X25m 80gb