New rig

Hi, i'm trying to assemble a new rig wich i intend to get as soon as those buggers from my last job finally pay me :)

CPU: i5 2500k

Heatsink: Noctua NH-U12P SE2

RAM: 8Gb Corsair Vengeance 1600 9-9-9-24

MOBO: ASUS P8Z68-V

Storage: WD Green 2tb

LiteOn iHBS112 BR burner

PSU: Seasonic X-560

I'll be looking into a graphics card in the 150W league, probably a HD6870, as soon as finances permit (i'm running a hd4850 ATM). Probably an SSD as an upgrade in the future.

Any thoughts? I'd be especially interested in whether the PSU is dimensioned correctly.

Is anybody up to date on what the timeline for LGA2011 systems and Ivy Bridge is? Do you think LGA2011 will let the prices of the respective components above drop?

Edited by sobek

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

On PSU, I'd probably add 100w or so if you will be overclocking. It's not a critical thing though - you still have some margins, but adding those 100w will let that unit work at it's optimum efficiency under load even with slight overvoltage. (And since it's an 80+ gold unit, might as well use that. :) Good choice though.)

I'm not entirely sure about the storage solution though - the WD Greens are awesome value and very nice for general storage, but their variable spindle size might penalize you for random I/O during games. I'd probably recommend one of their caviar blacks - perhaps a 1TB black for games/OS and a green for media.

I don't think the 2011's will dump the prices on sandies - they will basically replace the segment currently covered by the 990-style chips. Boards have started to show up in previews so they're not too far off, but nothing solid from memory. Ivy is probably late Q1 or early Q2.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

I'm not entirely sure about the storage solution though - the WD Greens are awesome value and very nice for general storage, but their variable spindle size might penalize you for random I/O during games. I'd probably recommend one of their caviar blacks - perhaps a 1TB black for games/OS and a green for media.

I'm aware of that, but considering that my current HDDs are 5+ years old WD2500s, i thought it would at least not be a step backwards. :)

Given that prices for WD HDDs are between 200-300% compared to before the flood in taiwan, i might be sitting on the fence there a little longer.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Ooooh, good point about the current price level. Forgot about that. And yeah, they'll be better than what you have. :)

(Indeed, my 1TB Green is actually faster for sustained transfer than the 640GB Caviar Black I had in my previous rig.)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Actually, now that I think about it, you could just consider a modest SSD for OS + select applications, and get general storage drives later when the supply situation is more stabilized.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Actually, now that I think about it, you could just consider a modest SSD for OS + select applications, and get general storage drives later when the supply situation is more stabilized.

That was my train of thought as well, but SSDs are still quite expensive. I might not be able to fit everything into one upgrade.

On the other hand, it would be obscene to build quite the fast rig, just to have the system bus sit idle most of the time waiting for my ancient HDDs.:doh::)

Thinking about it some more, i could get a more than decent 128gb SSD like the Crucial C300 for the price of a WD Green ATM, which i would only be getting for it's performance anyway, not for the storage space, so i guess the SSD makes actually more sense.

Any thoughts on SSDs? I'm not too knowledgeable about those, so i'm open to suggestions.

Edited by sobek

Come let's eat grandpa!

Any thoughts on SSDs? I'm not too knowledgeable about those, so i'm open to suggestions. Any series that you can recommend(bang/buck, reliability)?

Bump. Anyone?

Come let's eat grandpa!

Crucial M4 128gig (as above). Have one in my system along with a Samsung Spinpoint 1tb.

Ryzen 9 7950X3D - MSI MAG X670E TomaHawk MB, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 AIO

64gig Corsair DDR5@6000, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 AORUS

Winwing Super Taurus, Orion2, TO / Combat panels, Collective with Topgun MIP

Winwing Skywalker pedals, NLR Boeing Mil Edition Simpit, Trackir

This one gets recommended most of the time in the hardware forums I frequent.

Interesting, all the reviews i read suggested that it could not improve substantially upon the C300.

Come let's eat grandpa!

• 2 weeks later...
Finally the money arrived (with only 2 months of delay :)) so i ordered. Parts will arrive early next week.:pilotfly:

Great! What did you get. Does that include SSDs?

----------------

AKA_Clutter

Win 10 Pro, Intel i7 8700k @4.6 GHz, EVGA RTX 3080  FTW, Ultra 64 GB G.Skill DDR4 3600 RAM, Acer 27" flat screen, Oculus Rift S, HP Reverb G2, CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Rudder Pedals HOTAS, TM Warthog HOTAS, MFG Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5 Pro w/Vector Expansion, PointCTRL.

Great! What did you get. Does that include SSDs?

Everything mentioned in the first post except i got the GEN3 revision of the mobo and a 128gb crucial m4 instead of the WD HDD. Also a LG burner because the liteon was out of stock where i ordered. Looking forward to booting from the SSD :).

Come let's eat grandpa!

Looking forward to booting from the SSD :).

It should make you smile!:D

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Everything mentioned in the first post except i got the GEN3 revision of the mobo and a 128gb crucial m4 instead of the WD HDD. Also a LG burner because the liteon was out of stock where i ordered. Looking forward to booting from the SSD :).

SWEET! I have been looking at SSDs myself. Although Crucial m4 aren't the fastest, they do seem to have good reliability and good reviews. I am leaning toward the crucial m4 256 GB.

----------------

AKA_Clutter

Win 10 Pro, Intel i7 8700k @4.6 GHz, EVGA RTX 3080  FTW, Ultra 64 GB G.Skill DDR4 3600 RAM, Acer 27" flat screen, Oculus Rift S, HP Reverb G2, CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Rudder Pedals HOTAS, TM Warthog HOTAS, MFG Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5 Pro w/Vector Expansion, PointCTRL.

It should make you smile!:D

Let me rephrase that.. It "WILL" make you smile !

I have boot times from a cold start of under 30 seconds. Easily!

Loading times for FC2 and DCS A10-C are insanely fast, even compared to my 500 GB Caviar Black.

My Specs. below

ASUS TUF Z390 Pro Gaming

I5 9600K@4.5 Ghz.

32 Gb. G. Skill Rip Jaw V DDR4 @ 3200

MSI Gaming 1070 TI

Samsung 970 EVO+ NVME Pcie 500GB

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD

OCZ 120GB vertex 2 SSD

Win10 64 Pro

TM Warthog

TM Cougar

Samsuny Odyssey +

CH Pro Pedals

ASUS 32" 2560X1440 Main

Samsung 23" LED/LCD 1920X1080

Corsair TX 850W

Corsair H100i GTX

HAF 932

Let me rephrase that.. It "WILL" make you smile !

I have boot times from a cold start of under 30 seconds. Easily!

Loading times for FC2 and DCS A10-C are insanely fast, even compared to my 500 GB Caviar Black.

Correction accepted and agreed with. I currently do not see myself ever purchasing another mechanical drive.;)

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

All systems go and OMG, do i love that SSD. Holy understatement, batman.

appropriate comment :thumbup:

My Specs. below

ASUS TUF Z390 Pro Gaming

I5 9600K@4.5 Ghz.

32 Gb. G. Skill Rip Jaw V DDR4 @ 3200

MSI Gaming 1070 TI

Samsung 970 EVO+ NVME Pcie 500GB

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD

OCZ 120GB vertex 2 SSD

Win10 64 Pro

TM Warthog

TM Cougar