Trimmer and cyclic center timing.

Scooternutz

I was testing the trimmer last night I found something very interesting. Firstly, I have no problem with the trimmer and use it with no problems. I am used to setting the trimmer and my helo lurches forward and down. Since I am used to it I am prepared for it and after that initial press I have no problems after. I still pitch up when deactivating and again I am prepared for it. I also use the Flight Director (FD) for normal flight. To go into a hover the FD is turned off, trim set, auto-hover engaged simultaneously with the altitude hold. all done from the HOTAS.

Last night I pressed the trimmer and immediately let my stick center, much quicker than I am used to, and she flew level with no lurching or pitching. I have to do this really fast. Is there a timing setting in the programming for the trimmer. I would like to increase my timing to about 1.5 seconds to I can have the time to release the forward pressure a little slower. I think I can get used to the way it is now but it seems to fast on the cyclic centering.

If it is FD related then I am fine with the trimmer as is.

Setting adjustment is in the 1.0x readme.

Thanks...

NEW TRIMMER IMPLEMENTATION

In addition to the original trimmer implementation, in which control input is disabled for 1 second to allow the player to quickly re-center his controls, a new method is included in version 1.0.1, using a different re-centering logic. In the new method, control input is disabled until the player returns the controls to their neutral position. This allows the player to re-center his controls smoothly, minimizing unwanted control input.

The new trimmer logic is optional and is selected ON by default upon installation of the patch. Selection of the trimmer implementation is available in the GAMEPLAY menu of the game options.

The Yaw (heading) autopilot channel functionality has also been redesigned. If the yaw rate is under 3 deg/sec. when the trimmer button is released, the autopilot will stabilize the helicopter heading. If the yaw rate is greater than 3 deg/sec., the autopilot will stabilize the yaw rate to maintain the turn.

The control deadzone for the new trimmer implementation can be adjusted in the following configuration file:

...Scripts\Aircrafts\_Common\FMOoptions.lua

The relevant variables are:

HelicopterTrimmerMethod - trimmer implementation option: 1 - original, 2 - new (selected by default).

The default neutral positions (deadzone) to which the player must return his controls to reactivate control input (in % of half of the controls' full motion!)

HelicopterTrimmerZonePitch = 0.05 (5% in pitch)

HelicopterTrimmerZoneRoll = 0.05 (5% in roll)

HelicopterTrimmerZoneRudder = 0.1 (10% in yaw)

HelicopterTrimmerTauInverse = 7.0 - time factor for the period given the player to re-center his controls when using the original trimmer implementation.

IMPORTANT! All of the above values are recorded for track playback. Any alterations of these values may result in incorrect track playback. Do not use the Windows® Notepad to edit LUA files. A text editor with full UTF-8 compatibility is required when editing the configuration files.

Nate

Someday I wish they'd add a combined trimmer mode. The central position trimmer mode is my favourite, but even with a dead zone I can't always get the stick and pedals completely centered so I am forced to use the timed mode or suffer frustrating moments of no input (and these happen at the worst possible times, don't they?)

A combined mode would wait for the center position, but if that wasn't attained within a short time delay then go ahead and turn the controls back on anyways like the old mode. Maybe we'll see it in BS 3: Red Dawn in Vegas ;)

Knowing where those variables for the "neutral zone" are is great though, I can't wait to play with those and see if I can get the central position mode working better for me without needing to use dead zones on the controls.

Someday I wish they'd add a combined trimmer mode. The central position trimmer mode is my favourite, but even with a dead zone I can't always get the stick and pedals completely centered so I am forced to use the timed mode or suffer frustrating moments of no input (and these happen at the worst possible times, don't they?)

A combined mode would wait for the center position, but if that wasn't attained within a short time delay then go ahead and turn the controls back on anyways like the old mode. Maybe we'll see it in BS 3: Red Dawn in Vegas ;)

Knowing where those variables for the "neutral zone" are is great though, I can't wait to play with those and see if I can get the central position mode working better for me without needing to use dead zones on the controls.

I like the central position trimmer mode the best, but only if I widen the default recenter tolerance by a factor of 3 or 4. The default values are ridiculously small.

Intelligent discourse can only begin with the honest admission of your own fallibility.

Member of the Virtual Tactical Air Group: http://vtacticalairgroup.com/

Lua scripts and mods:

MIssion Scripting Tools (Mist): http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=98616

Slmod version 7.0 for DCS: World: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=80979

Now includes remote server administration tools for kicking, banning, loading missions, etc.

• 10 years later...
On 4/2/2022 at 3:56 PM, pii said:

There's a Flight Director on the Apache?

In Russia, Helicopter flies you!
I believe you have necro'd a thread from 2011 about the Ka-50 asking about the Apache. Too much Apache on the brain 🙂

Edited by 104th_Crunch

4 hours ago, 104th_Crunch said:

In Russia, Helicopter flies you!
I believe you have necro'd a thread from 2011 about the Ka-50 asking about the Apache. Too much Apache on the brain 🙂

I'm always late