convert Long/lat to utm and back

snak

Hi Guys anyone no if there is a way to calculate the UTM details from the long/lat grid reference details provided on the map, there must be a calculation for it

ie 41 51 45N 41 48 56E to GG3374038371

update

Well let me explain why, I was trying to act as a FAC with the view from F10 (MAP) to view a target where I can obtain the long / lat coordinates. when I put them into the CDU as L/L and NOT UTM references and make them a waypoint (where the target is) the position is always slightly off to the actual target, anyone know why?

I even noted the coordinates of the vehicle when I created the mission and still have the same problem, so it would seem there is a slight difference between the coordinates given on the map in f10 and the actual ones in the mission, yet when the AI fac calls a strike he is always spot on

When I put 41 41 46N 0414240E into the above post - converter by eddie (thanks eddie) I get the following results

the MGRS is 37T GG25602 19588

yet when i convert this in the cdu by pressing the L/L - UTM button i get GG25250 19008

So now I am more confused???????????????????????????????????

Edited by snak

There are several online coord converters available, here's one that works quite well http://www.earthpoint.us/Convert.aspx.

Also, if you have a smartphone there are apps available for carry out such conversions, I use Map Tools on iOS.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

Thanks smokey i'd already figured that.

Well let me explain why, I was trying to act as a FAC with the view from F10 (MAP) to view a target where I can obtain the long / lat coordinates. when I put them into the CDU as L/L and NOT UTM references and make them a waypoint (where the target is) the position is always slightly off to the actual target, anyone know why?

I even noted the coordinates of the vehicle when I created the mission and still have the same problem, so it would seem there is a slight difference between the coordinates given on the map in f10 and the actual ones in the mission, yet when the AI fac calls a strike he is always spot on

When I put 41 41 46N 0414240E into the above post - converter by eddie (thanks eddie) I get the following results

yet when i convert this in the cdu by pressing the L/L - UTM button i get GG25250 19008

Edited by snak

• 2 years later...

How much of a difference are we talking about? If you'll put in the coordinates in in the cdu and slew your tgp to it vs. Using UTM. Would you be able to tell by how many meters it's off? Are you sure it's not about the decimals? 41°41,46'N translates into about 18,5m accuracy on a "sphere" projection whereas UTM coordinates are "flat" - projected, made me wonder if there's any elevation data involved?

If it's way off I'd check the gridzone

Edited by tugzeus

I might be misinterpreting your problem here, but my map shows lat/long positions as DD MM SS. (i.e. degree minutes and seconds).

If you put those into the CDU, there will be an error since the A10 uses DD MM.MMM (i.e. degrees minutes and decimals of minutes).

So - for example on the map 40 20'30"N is actually 40 20.500N in the CDU.

I could be barking up the wrong tree though!

I did some testing the other night with the tool firefly2442 posted.

First, I found the lat/long coordinates for the TACAN beacon in Batumi using the mission editor, converted that into UTM, keyed it into the CDU and slewed my TGP there - the difference was a few meters only.

Secondly, I found the airport in Google Maps, placed a pin on the '1' marker on runway 13, converted the coordinates and used that as SPI. Difference was a bit larger, but not excessive - see the pic. Another test at the Inguri Dam gave similar results.

Batumi_diff.jpg.bd8d18a9b32a5a81ffdc8ce54529dcab.jpg

Dear Shilka. I hate you so very very much. Love, Rex

Guys the precision MGRS uses is 100m

as seen in wikipedia

4Q .....................GZD only, precision level 6° × 8° (in most cases)

4QFJ ...................GZD and 100 km Grid Square ID, precision level 100 km

4QFJ 1 6 ...............precision level 10 km

4QFJ 12 67 .............precision level 1 km

4QFJ 123 678 ...........precision level 100 m

4QFJ 1234 6789 .........precision level 10 m

4QFJ 12345 67890 .......precision level 1 m

so if we put in the CDU the FJ 123 456 it is 100m precision

The lat long has higher precision as pointed out by tugzeus

This has perhaps been mentioned, still want to throw in my 2 cents:

You can switch the coordinate system for the F10-Map by pressing CTRL-Y if I am correct. If not: look it up in keybindings under the "general" tab.

Available coordinates are L/L in seconds aswell as in hundreths, UTM and X/Y/Z coordinates used by the game.

EDIT:

If you play AFAC in an A10 and want to give UTM coordinates, you can also swith the coords displayed in the TGP to UTM vía the CTRL tab of the TGP

Edited by Maverick-X

I believe it is LALT-Y to switch the coordinate system used in the F10 map during mission.

I just wish that when you select a unit on the map, the little info window switched to UTM as well.

i7-7700k

eVGA 1080 Ti

Win 10 Pro

Samsung Odyssey WMR

Warthog HOTAS

• 1 year later...
Hi Guys anyone no if there is a way to calculate the UTM details from the long/lat grid reference details provided on the map, there must be a calculation for it

ie 41 51 45N 41 48 56E to GG3374038371

update

This kinda old, but about the slighly difference in LL is due the last digits... This works like this:

43.01.15N -> 15/60 = 0.25 -> 43.01.250N (imput this)

040.58.59E -> 59/60 = 0.984 -> 040.58.984E (imput this)

new coordinates to the CDU: 43.01.250N 040.58.984E

Result ... TGP right on target

Who cares...

There's no real, reliable way to convert MGRS to LL. They aren't meant to be converted. Some maps use WGS84, some don't. Unless you're family with using military grid I don't really think you'll understand it, but the bottom line is there's not a real functional way to do it, or really a reason IMO. I'm talking about some computation with a map in hand, that isn't possible. Using the CDU, that will do it, but I don't think that's what OP was asking.

Edited by BSS_Sniper

I9 9900k @ 5ghz water cooled, 32gb ram, GTX 2080ti, 1tb M.2, 2tb hdd, 1000 watt psu TrackIR 5, TM Warthog Stick and Throttle, CH Pedals