What to do

Praetorx

I replayed the training missions over and over till they were automatic, then read guides/watched YouTube videos to learn new things. When it turned into a chore more than fun, I goofed off in the instant action missions, which is actually where I learned most of the weapon systems (just clicking buttons hehe). Keep it fun, keep it interesting :) YouTube is your friend

System:

i7 920 @3.8ghz; GTX 560ti 448; 6gb DDR3 1600 ram; 750gb HDD; 750w PSU; Win7 64bit; x52 Pro; TrackIR 5

1.write down a list of the things you want to learn, (e.g. tv mavericks, air refueling, jtac)

2.read the manual for 1 item on your list,

3.use mission editor to create simple scenario for that item

4.practice

5.goto 2.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

1.write down a list of the things you want to learn, (e.g. tv mavericks, air refueling, jtac)

2.read the manual for 1 item on your list,

3.use mission editor to create simple scenario for that item

4.practice

5.goto 2.

Where can I get the manual? I got the game off steam and there isn't a manual button for it

which in game menu screen button?

I think he means you should navigate to wherever the game is installed in your hard drive, there should be a "Doc" folder where you can find a file for the manual. It might be a bit confusing because of Steams folder structure and where it places games.

When I originally installed the game via steam I think it was installed at "D:\Steam\SteamApps\common\dcs a-10c warthog". Someone please correct me if that's incorrect.

Failing that you can just get it from http://http1.files.eagle.ru/v2/dcs/manuals/DCS-A-10C_Flight_Manual_EN.pdf

i5 2500K | MSI GeForce GTX 580 Twin Frozr II | Corsair H100 Cooler | 16GB RAM | Patriot 120GB SSD | Freetrack 3pt Clip | Saitek X52 Pro

I've learnt it by going through the training missions until I was able to finish them without really listening to the instructor... (about 3x each training mission).

I then started playing the campaign while watching youtube video's every day. Also read the manual if you want to know more about a specific system/item.

There are some great pdf files in the sticky threads, check them out. Make sure you download the HOTAS_keyboard_matrix.pdf. I think it's very usefull for learning how to effectively use the HOTAS...

Good luck! :thumbup:

'Frett'

I mainly did the weapon delivery tutorials, then tried the stuff in a quick mission. If something didn't work I repeated the training or read on the manual :) Now I just started the campaign and things get better and better on each flight. Some stuff that seemed too complex to me before, is just like -click- -click- -click- done! now :) But I must admit, I brought some experience from Falcon 4: Allied Force, which has a similiar level of complexity.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"It's a good landing, if you can still get the doors open"

I learned mostly just by flying the simple "instant actions" over and over. Occasionally popping into the training mission (Mavericks) to see why I still couldnt lose one off... but guns and dumb bombs and rockets are pretty straight forward.

You probably should not expect to be a top gun after you first day though, there is a lot to take onboard, anyway the learning was probably the most fun part of the simulator (for me) so just enjoy the process!

One of my favorite bits was, having totally NOT read the manual, sitting in the jet "cold and dark" and trying to get it up and running.

Technical Specs: Asus G73JW gaming laptop... i7-740QM 1.73GHz ... GTX460m 1.5GB ... 8GB DDR5 RAM ... Win7 64 ... TIR5 ... Thrustmaster T16000m