TAD and Networking (above all enemy locations)

voyagingmind

I got DCS A-10 a few months back. But only seriously started to immerse myself into it since I installed iControl DCS for the iPad. Since one I don't have TrackIR, and two, I find it already demanding enough HOTAS and Keyboard shortcut wise, so I needed an intuitive way to work with the scatchpad, MFD keys, CDU, because I found having to switch the view/click mouse mode and deal with all sorts of virtual button hell which was an immersion killer. And iControl DCS lets me do most of this from the simplicity of a touchscreen.

Anyway so much for the iControl plug. My point is I'm still kinda behind reading the 6000 page manual, and about 500 youtube tutorials I still need to see/watch again (man I love this sim, talk about depth and elegance).

So I was wondering, since the A-10 seems to have some type of network features, or at very least the JTAC 9-line thats received, and then e.g. highlights a target in the TAD (red arrow), I was wondering if there was a way to receive networked information from the wingman/flight, ground troops, AWACS, JTACS, Drones you name it, in the TAD.

I still need to do my homework on the TAD. But maybe this simply isn't implemented in the sim. But isn't this the way many aircraft, armored vehicles, and battle troops operate these days? Using a linked battle network (A military www), that creates an overview/mosaic of the battlefield, based on the individual target acquisitions made by individual units.

Simply put, friendly aircraft and ground units are displayed as 'X''s on the TAD (this is very apparent when creating fast mission with max units), but no dope on the enemy, except from the JTAC 9-lines.

I'd think at least it would be nice to see what targets your wingmen spot, and have them share it with you on the TAD. But is this also the procedure with real A-10c's? I know that F-18's (At least the super hornets) are networked together in this way and capable of sharing such tactical information.

p.s. can't wait to see all the DCS and Lockon run on the new EDGE graphics engine. While I more than appreciate realism in DCS Avionics, I believe in terms of beauty, emotion, and immersion, graphics are equally important.

Not to say DCS's are bad, during certain time and weather conditions it can be quite beautiful, or just to see cars driving below (yes I have to admit, I use them for target practice sometimes, when I get that certain iraqi highway of death tingle we all get at times), just before swooping down on a tank. But its sad to see "kiddie sims" like ace combat and HAWX 2 tote more realism in terms of graphics engine. And with Ace, actually for many years now.

Anyway, thanks for enduring this rant (hopefully), I just love this game

Edited by voyagingmind

didnt read the whole post but lookup SADL in the manual to do what you where wondering!

SADL means 2 things, own ID, and net ID...

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

You can't directly see the locations of enemy using the TAD, but what you can do is hook other flights SPIs in the TAD.

For example, there might be a flight of F16 doing a SEAD mission. They will a appear in your TAD. When they designate a target as their sensor point of interest, it will appear in the TAD as a diamond. The Serpents Tail mission is a good example of this. It's the same for all flights really, other A10Cs will designate targets as SPI, which you can hook and set as your own.

Simply set the TAD as SOI and move the cursor around. Then hook any particular desgination you want using TMS forward short, then TMS forward long to set as your SPI.

A10 SPIs will appears as two-tier 'cake' symbol in the HUD, where as your own is a three tier 'cake' symbol. Other flights are diamons I beleive.

If you are tasked by a SADL equipped JTAC they will pass the target position too you and it will appear as a red triangle on the TAD. If you set TAD as SOI, move the cursor over the red triangle. Tap TMS up to hook it and then hold TMS up to make it SPI you can then slew the TGP right to it by setting TGP as SOI and holding china hat forward. (V key on the keyboard by default.)

Always remember. I don't have a clue what I'm doing

As far as ground troops, in real life they use a system called FBCB2. It allows ground vehicles equiped with it to see where other friendly units are as well as enemy. For example, if you were a tank commander and spotted a enemy tank you can send a report via the FBCB2. This information will populate other friendly vehicles's displays with an enemy icon and other relative information. This sharing is not real time but "near" real time and i am not sure if the airforce uses the same systems in their planes.

Some aircraft use Link-16 systems, some use SADL/EPLRS.

http://articles.janes.com/articles/Janes-Military-Communications/Situation-Awareness-DataLink-SADL-United-States.html

BFBC2 and SADL/EPLRS can talk together, but Link-16 (which is older) cannot, by default. The article suggests that interoperability and fleet-wide upgrades are very much a work-in-progress right now, but from what I understand, Link-16 is more a strategic-level network while SADL is more tactical. I'm sure eventually this will be more standardized but many aircraft are going through MSIP upgrades right now so things are fairly liquid.

Edited by Frostiken

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]