Please consider a key command to reset rudder trim to neutral

Bahger

I know there isn't one in the real a/c but this is one of those cases where ergonomic problems trump authenticity.

The P-51 needs a hatful of right rudder on takeoff and climbout, hence the need to set rudder trim 5 degrees right on the ground, but in the air when transitioning to level flight, it takes a long time to rotate the little mousewheel through enough rotations to get it back to neutral. Grabbing the rudder trim knob with the left mouse button and dragging it counter-clockwise is no faster. Especially without TrackIR, making this necessary transition requires a virtual pilot to go heads-down for a lot longer than would be advisable, or safe, in an a/c that needs a great deal of constant attitude and trim adjustments by reference to the horizon or the turn and bank indicator. The Mustang is too high-maintenance when transitioning from one flight regime to another to make it desirable to be heads-down for so long. Pretty please, can we get a rudder trim reset command?

It moves slow no matter how you move it. I have it on an axis and it still takes seconds to catch up to where I moved the slider. Trim reset is no faster, just easier.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Just in case you missed another trick:

* RCtrl+Enter = show controller axis & centering.

Can be quite helpful when you adjust your input midflight.

The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open | The important thing is not to stop questioning

It moves slow no matter how you move it. I have it on an axis and it still takes seconds to catch up to where I moved the slider. Trim reset is no faster, just easier.

Yes its just easier. But I would like that option too. Trimming even with a HOTAS ist still a pain in the ass in my oppinion. In BS2 I would like to get the option to reset the rudder only or to trim the stick only.

DCS:A-10C / DCS:Ka-50 / DCS:UH-1H / DCS:Mig21bis / DCS:P-51D / DCS:Mi-8MTV2 / DCS:Fw190D9 / DCS:Bf109K4 / DCS:C-101EB / DCS:L-39C / DCS:F-5E / DCS:Spitfire LF Mk. IX / DCS:AJS37

Trimming even with a HOTAS ist still a pain in the ass in my oppinion.

If trimming were not a PITA it would not be a proper simulation of the aircraft or the process of piloting it.:P

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

there is a trim reset button. I've mapped it to the left throttle Button (Autopilot on/off) on the TM HOTAS Warthog.

resets all trim wheels to neutral as you would manual. Smooth and slow :)

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

there is a trim reset button. I've mapped it to the left throttle Button (Autopilot on/off) on the TM HOTAS Warthog.

resets all trim wheels to neutral as you would manual. Smooth and slow :)

The OP wants a Trim button that does not do all three, but just the rudder separate from pitch and roll.:music_whistling:

The OP wants a Trim button that does not do all three, but just the rudder separate from pitch and roll.:music_whistling:

Just read the OP again. He has problems reseting the rudder trim with heads down. Nothing about a separate switch.

I guess a separate one would be nice but if he doesn't know about the trim reset at all it is good to know.

As for me, the trim reset occurs before I start trimming her Level :)

Edited by shagrat

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

As for me, the trim reset occurs before I start trimming her Level :)

I tried this but the sudden change in trimming caused me to many problems. So I prefer to retrim most of the time - and I will have to keep the pedals in mind. A "pedal reset" or a "stick only trim" would be a nice option. Often I retrim only the pedals back to center.

With a little practise trimming works without an extra "pedal reset", but an extra key as an option would be a nice feature. especially if a keypress would not trim suddenly but trim smooth toward the center while the key was hold. Still dreaming... ;)

BTW: The first days I have tried to fly in BS2 without trimming. A very hard experience. After reading the manual and some guides I got it. It works, but you have to get used to it. One of the first lessons flying the Ka-50 in BS2: You cant fly serious without trimming (and using/understanding the autopilot correctly).

And someone mentioned allready: the RCTL-Enter key is very useful!!

DCS:A-10C / DCS:Ka-50 / DCS:UH-1H / DCS:Mig21bis / DCS:P-51D / DCS:Mi-8MTV2 / DCS:Fw190D9 / DCS:Bf109K4 / DCS:C-101EB / DCS:L-39C / DCS:F-5E / DCS:Spitfire LF Mk. IX / DCS:AJS37

If trimming were not a PITA it would not be a proper simulation of the aircraft or the process of piloting it.:P

Didn't follow you there. What do you mean?

Never found trimming an issue. It's just something you do, without much effort or consideration. Flying without being able to trim, now that'd be a PITA!

One Important thing you are missing in the idea to implement a "reset trim" -This is maybe no problem when you have trim at a Hat of your stick like in the A-10.

But: If you have Trim on a axis and you have turned it already to one side...

What happens if you press the "non existence" trim reset...?

(are you still there? ;))

What happens to the fixed read-out of your trim axis. ...?!

Does it get a new center at the maximum?...

See ...- I don't think that having such a options will do any good .

So using the Ctrl-Enter will be your only option until you have a dedicated axis for the trim input.

Edited by PeterP

I wondered what would happen to my rudder trim if I pressed trim reset.:D

At the moment I am using the slider on the warthog for rudder trim and it is quite simple to put it back to zero, of course it has a center detent. Even without the detent a mark for center would be all that is needed. I think I see a throttle quadrant in my future.;)

One Important thing you are missing in the idea to implement a "reset trim" -This is maybe no problem when you have trim at a Hat of your stick like in the A-10.

But: If you have Trim on a axis and you have turned it already to one side...

What happens if you press the "non existence" trim reset...?

(are you still there? ;))

What happens to the fixed read-out of your trim axis. ...?!

Does it get a new center at the maximum?...

See ...- I don't think that having such a options will do any good .

So using the Ctrl-Enter will be your only option until you have a dedicated axis for the trim input.

Well, in A10 its nearly useless. Agreed so far. In BS2 I trim the pedals often back to middle and so I cant live without Ctrl-Enter. Agreed also. But a trim reset can implemented in a way that do not lead to the are-you-still-there-question. Of cause the reset has to be done in a smooth way and at the moment the reset key is released the trim reset stops (even its not in neutral position). No rocket science.

AFAIR the trim-reset in BS2 is not done in a smooth way, so for me it was useless.

BTW: Is there any known way to get the Ctrl-Enter-Display on another screen position/monitor?

PS: Ah! now I understand! You have an axis for trimming on the HOTAS. So yes, thats an interesting question how to utilizise this with a trim reset. :)

Edited by Nereid

BTW: Is there any known way to get the Ctrl-Enter-Display on another screen position/monitor?

At the bottom of the first post in this thread:

Triple-head/Multi-Monitor GUI and NVG Fix >>> How to move/resize the Controls Indicator:

Cant guarantee that this is working in DCS-World as I didn't tested it.

You will have to look in this path for the ControlsIndicator_page.lua:

....\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Scripts\Aircrafts\P-51D\Cockpit\ControlsIndicator

Edited by PeterP

BTW:

Look what I have found (didn't tested yet).

CtrlT.jpg

I made my first reply on the believe that there isn't such a function... - but seems that the OP didn't found it.

On a second thought:

PS: Ah! now I understand! You have an axis for trimming on the HOTAS. So yes, thats an interesting question how to utilizise this with a trim reset. smile.gif

I think it is working the same as in the BlackShark.

When I press trimmer-reset it will be overwritten instantly by my axis-movement (Rudder). So it should be no big-problem to apply "Trimmers-Reset" when using a axis for the trim. It will read out your set axis state as soon you move them a tiny bit again.

So kindly put my first reply (mentioning it wouldn't be a good idea) in the thrash-bin. ;)

Edited by PeterP