Losing control of the hog

neroroxxx

Hi guys,

Is it common to lose control of the aircraft when you dive and get too close to the ground? Usually I'll get the "warning, autopilot" sound and then suddenly I lose control, sometimes I don't get the autopilot sound and I will still lose control.

When I say I lose control, I mean the plane feels trimmed but it's not, trimming tabs look centered and me trimming the plane won't help, is this common? Can I disable the autopilot when I dive, BTW I also get a ,essage in a red box on the mfds.

Another thing tha has happened to me is the stick on the plane moves itself, usually it pulls towards the pilot, it's like it counts, 1, 2, 3, PULL!... Again and so on.

Thanks in advance!

Nero

27" iMac, 3.4GHz i7 Quad Core, 16GB Ram, AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2Gb, Running Bootcamp, Windows 7 Home 64bit, Saitek X-52 Pro

Check your axis to see if two devices are set against pitch roll, rudder etc.

Lyndiman

AMD Ryzen 3600 / RTX 2070 Super / 32G Ram / Win10 / TrackIR 5 Pro / Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

Without a track file it is unfortunately nearly impossible to say what has happened.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Hi guys,

Is it common to lose control of the aircraft when you dive and get too close to the ground? Usually I'll get the "warning, autopilot" sound and then suddenly I lose control, sometimes I don't get the autopilot sound and I will still lose control.

When I say I lose control, I mean the plane feels trimmed but it's not, trimming tabs look centered and me trimming the plane won't help, is this common? Can I disable the autopilot when I dive, BTW I also get a ,essage in a red box on the mfds.

Another thing tha has happened to me is the stick on the plane moves itself, usually it pulls towards the pilot, it's like it counts, 1, 2, 3, PULL!... Again and so on.

Thanks in advance!

Hi neroroxxx

i have the absolutely same problem like you and also a X52-Pro stick.

what profile do you use? can you upload a track file ? i will upload mine this weekend.

cheers

edit: i can fix this problem when i get the hog in a line where you can activate the autopilot. (im not happy with this solution)

Edited by massoud

Hi guys,

Thanks in advance!

You could've made it easier for us by posting a track. The 'walking stick' is a feat of P-51. dunno if it's in A-10, cuz I never oversped my hog. at 400-ish, the airframe disintegrates...

consult the flight man for flight/speed/flap/gear limitations...

And please, if you face problems, post a track. It will help us help you better.

WBK

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

@Wichid, they are all set to one axis only.

@Massoud, that's exactly what i have to do, i have to wrestle the stick to get it back to fly again, the plane is not overspeeding on the dive (i bring the throttle back and open the air brakes if needed so it doesn't go past 300mph)

@EtheraIN and WilBillKelsoe, i have no clue on how to do the tracks or take snap shots of record video of the game, if you guys wouldn't mind pointing me to a thread that examplains how to do this i would be very happy to do this, thanks!

Nero

27" iMac, 3.4GHz i7 Quad Core, 16GB Ram, AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2Gb, Running Bootcamp, Windows 7 Home 64bit, Saitek X-52 Pro

Saving tracks is simple: after finishing a flight, just click the "save track" button on the debrief screen.

Then upload here through pressing "go Advanced" under the reply box, select the paperclip icon, and find the file on your computer. It should be located in C:\Users\(username)\SAved Games\DCS Warthog

To help us identify the issue quickly, please try to start a flight where you provoke the issue you are experiencing as early as possible, and if possible several times in the track.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

neroroxxx -

I know what you are talking about. I think it is frame rate related.

In my situation, I recently got a new video card - an EVGA GTX 580 - and settled on these settings. Now my flying very close to the ground on attack runs is much smoother.

attachment.php?attachmentid=66510&stc=1&d=1337897685

Wrecking Crew

Visit the Hollo Pointe DCS World server -- an open server with a variety of COOP & H2H missions including Combined Arms. All released missions are available for free download, modification and public hosting, from my Wrecking Crew Projects site.

Since you are getting the auto pilot warning maybe when you enter the dive you are trimmed to autopilot. AP is kicking off when you dive and when you pull up you are still trimmed to AP. If the trimming was pretty high it would cause easy stalling of a wind when pulling out of a dive.

hey guys, yes i get the autopilot warning and a red box with an X on the MFCDs when im getting really close to the ground, like below 2000 feet or so,

@billposters i will give that a shot about unassigning the arrow keys from the flight controls altho i don't usually hit anything other than pulling the stick back when im pulling back up,

again the auto pilot is not engaged when i dive, i rarely use the autopilot as a matter of fact i assigned the throttle button to a button with a modifier on the stick so i don't hit it by accident,

I will make a track tonight and i will upload it. thanks.

Nero

hey guys, here's my track, the problem happened at the end of the track, as you can see as i was going closer to the ground, i was pressing the boat switch at the beginning of the track to see if that's what was causing it but it wasn't, it wasn't until i got really low that i lost control, again it's at the end of the track thats when i crashed.

New Track.trk

Nero

I watched your track 3 times in DCS A-10C version 1.1.1.1. I checked the input monitor (rctrl+enter) and external view to see if I could discern what you're doing.

I can only come to one conclusion: you flew straight into the ground during controlled flight. You never lost control of the aircraft. It did exactly as you commanded based in your stick inputs.

(Alternatively, the track is screwed up.)

i watched it several times as well. when going to the ground it appears based on your plane that you never pulled up on the stick. Maybe your joystick stopped responding or something but according to the track you never pulled up. If you were in fact pulling up then I would start looking at a bad connection on your joystick.

hey guys, when i crashed that was me letting go after the plane started banking to the right, basically i would level it up then let it go and it would just bank right, i was diving but right before i crashed thats when i lost control about 40 seconds or so the plane was just rolling to the right and all i was doing was trying to roll it back to the left that's why im confused

Nero

It seems I'm not crazy after all.

I just watched the track a couple more times. The plane rolls left because you move the stick left. During the roll you end up pointed towards the ground. Rather than pull up, you roll hard to the right, back a bit to the left, and then you crash into the ground. The stick movements appear to be smooth and completely intentional, if heavy-handed sometimes, and your aircraft never banks to either side without you causing it by some appropriate stick movement.

As per your original post, I should note that there's nothing here related to trim or autopilot settings. You appear to be, quite frankly, flying your plane into the ground on purpose and there's no evidence of anything else.

just watched the track a couple times, i agree with the others that you didnt do the right things to stop your plane from crashing. I dont think there is anything wrong with the plane, i think you just need more practice. Some things i noticed about your flying is that you are pulling back too hard on the stick after a dive. The plane starts to stall a couple times because of it. . At the end it seems like you got confused or disoriented at the last moment. a headtracking device will help with situational awareness. The pulling to the right of the plane is caused by wind currents and an untrimmed airplane The red warning on your MFCDs are just telling you, you are about to die and to stop looking at your MFCDs and look up.

Hi guys,

Thanks in advance!

Are you exceeding airspeed limitations? (Somewhere in the neighborhood of 450KIAS) In a dive ya need to pop you speed brakes to "slow your roll" as it were.

Gadgets

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, i figured out the problem, I have the X52 Pro hotas which has that extra button on the trigger (first stage) and i have it set up in game to the first stage trigger control as well, what i noticed is that after i shot at a target with the gun a little text would appear on the HUD i can't remember what it was but i think it was like CAS-1 or something once that was showing it was game over, no control of the plane, but after i would unclicked (its a latching switch apparently) the CAS-1 text would disappear and i was back in full control.

Just wanted to share what was happening for those that may have the problem, i was able to recreate the problem often just by clicking that first stage trigger, thank you to all for the help! :-)

Nero

Hey guys, i figured out the problem, I have the X52 Pro hotas which has that extra button on the trigger (first stage) and i have it set up in game to the first stage trigger control as well, what i noticed is that after i shot at a target with the gun a little text would appear on the HUD i can't remember what it was but i think it was like CAS-1 or something once that was showing it was game over, no control of the plane, but after i would unclicked (its a latching switch apparently) the CAS-1 text would disappear and i was back in full control.

Just wanted to share what was happening for those that may have the problem, i was able to recreate the problem often just by clicking that first stage trigger, thank you to all for the help! :-)

That's PAC-1 and is used to give you stability while shooting the gun, you ever noticed how your pipper stays bang on the target when shooting despite the recoil?

Always remember. I don't have a clue what I'm doing

Yeah, that's the issue, PAC-1 is also an auto-pilot mode and as long as it's depressed you're locked in at the approach angle. Unlike other AP modes, I don't think excessive stick movement will break out of the mode. I don't have a 2 stage trigger but I mapped an additional button on my stick to engage it. I have to keep it depressed to activate it. Sounds like it may be a toggle on your rig.

You can think of PAC-1 as an autopilot that is trying to keep your nose centered on one point on the ground. While this is good for coping with gun recoil, the PAC-1 should be disengaged by fully releasing the trigger before recovering the plane.

Bear @ 33rd Airbase Wing

iMac i7 4x3.4 GHz | 8GB | HD 6970M w/2 GB GDDR5 | 256 GB SSD | TM Warthog | TM Cougar MFD (mounted on 21" screen) | Sennheiser PC-133D | Razer Imperator | TrackIR 5 | Windows 7 Home Pro 64bit