Different axis sensitivities with modifier

I've been playing around with the axis sensitivity to suit both combat and refueling and gave up.

But then i got the idea of adding a modifier ingame to my stick that would give me different axis sensitivities when held.

The line from the LUA looks like this:

{combos = {{key = "JOY_Y", filter = {saturationX = 1, saturationY = 0.85, deadzone = 0.02, invert = false, slider = false, curvature = {0.15}}}, {key = "JOY_Y", reformers = {"JOY_BTN20", }, filter = {saturationX = 1, saturationY = 0.5, deadzone = 0.02, invert = false, slider = false, curvature = {0.15}}}, }, action = iCommandPlanePitch, name = "Pitch"},

{combos = {{key = "JOY_X", filter = {saturationX = 1, saturationY = 1, deadzone = 0.02, invert = false, slider = false, curvature = {0.15}}}, {key = "JOY_X", reformers = {"JOY_BTN20", }, filter = {saturationX = 1, saturationY = 0.5, deadzone = 0.02, invert = false, slider = false, curvature = {0.15}}}, }, action = iCommandPlaneRoll, name = "Roll"},

everything can be done from the game, except for the sensitivity. The game can't differ between the axis wit the modifier and the normal one. So i opened the joystick file in NP++ and changed the sensitivity myself.

The result is close to what happened in F4 when you opened the refuel thing.

The red line is the axis with modifier and the blue is the changes the has to be done in NP++.

Everything works as intended and i'm now able to stick with the tanker for as long as i want.

My setup is a HOTAS WH and i used the APU as the modifier, I added other functions as trim, SB, and what other functions i needed with the modifier as well.

Kinda cheating, but..:pilotfly:

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, i5 6600K, Geforce 980 GTX Ti, 32 GB Ram, Samsung EVO SSD.

Hmmm... nobody responded ???? Because this sounds like a very good thing to be able to have available.

I wonder if this could be activated when the refueling door is opened or instead of holding a button down have it as a toggle button? I was thinking of using the Warthog throttle Autopilot button for this, but holding the button down for use would not be best, it's a stiffly sprung button. But having it activated by the refueling door might be even better.

Which version of A-10C are you using this with? I think I will have to try this.

Thanks for sharing! :thumbup:

:pilotfly:

Edited by CubPilot

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win7 Pro 64 | Asus Rampage III Extreme |Swiftech H2O cooled: CPU, Video, N. Bridge | i7 980X EE @4.5GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @1726 MHZ | AMD R9 290X 4GB DDR5 +EK H2O block+Backplate | BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 @144Hz | Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500GB | 2 - Samsung HD 1TB | Pinoeer BD-RW | ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 PCIe Audio | CoolerMaster Haf-X case | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 760W PS | HOTAS Cougar w/Evenstrain Mod | HOTAS Warthog | TM RCS Rudders + Mods | TM MFD's w/monitors | TrackIR5

Brilliant, thanks for this. Just like the F-16, the FCS limits the sensitivity and range of the roll rate when the landing gear is down and also when the AAR door is opened. I'll have to try this out next time I'm at home. :)

I can also see this useful in what I mainly use DCS for: formation flying. Generally we have in our show formation work and solo portions. Having smoother curves and saturation for formation while being able to switch to a more aggressive setup for the solo portions with the flip of a switch would be excellent. Not exactly realistic, but...!

Edited by Blaze

i7 7700K | 32GB RAM | GTX 1080Ti | Rift CV1 | TM Warthog | Win 10

"There will always be people with a false sense of entitlement.

You can want it, you can ask for it, but you don't automatically deserve it. "

This is pretty slick. I never looked at the axis parts of the lua files. I fooled around with doing this in Target but never really implimented it properly.

REP Inbound!:thumbup:

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

This likely, haven't looked yet, works the same in DCS World. The devs occasionally have mucked with those lua files but I don't recall any changes to the basic functions.

I had another project in mind for today but...;)

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

It can be toggled with a switch-modifier, I use space on keyboard for this so there is no need to hold anything down for me. Thanks alot Svend for this find.

Edited by Kirk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Admin Kirks-Hangar Multiplayer Server.

Keep calm and fly on!:pilotfly:

It can be toggled with a switch-modifier, I use space on keyboard for this so there is no need to hold anything down for me. Thanks alot Svend for this find.

Soooo...... mind sharing the code to have a toggle key (or button)? It may be very easy, but it might keep me from losing more hair trying to figure it out. I have never been accused of being a programmer :megalol: !

And for those being concerned about realism........ I'm sure that the real deal is much easier to do using that long joystick, but it's still a challenge no doubt. Since most of us have short joysticks I don't consider this a cheat, it's more a thing that compensates for the short comings of the computer & our controllers to accurately simulate flight.

Edited by CubPilot

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win7 Pro 64 | Asus Rampage III Extreme |Swiftech H2O cooled: CPU, Video, N. Bridge | i7 980X EE @4.5GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @1726 MHZ | AMD R9 290X 4GB DDR5 +EK H2O block+Backplate | BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 @144Hz | Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500GB | 2 - Samsung HD 1TB | Pinoeer BD-RW | ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 PCIe Audio | CoolerMaster Haf-X case | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 760W PS | HOTAS Cougar w/Evenstrain Mod | HOTAS Warthog | TM RCS Rudders + Mods | TM MFD's w/monitors | TrackIR5

Its not so complicated , you can do most of it in the game options.

Go to your control settings, add a modifier by clicking in the lower left on modifiers, then click on "add" on the right side under "switches" then choose your key and click ok. After you added a new modifier-switch go to your roll and pitch axis add another command for it and add your modifier and the axis from your stick (should look like "Joy_Y; space+Joy_Y" for example). After all that is done open your input file in C:\users\<yourname>\saved games\DCS\Config\Input\A10C\joystick and do what Svend already discribed custumize the code in the input file of your joystick in line 850 and 851 without changing the reformer after all that it should work.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The best part is that you can change more than just sensitivity. Combined with Target or Foxy you could easily access multiple curve options.

This could be really useful for people trying to taxi without rudder pedals.

That's what I'm after, being able to do this through TARGET so I can have a switch to have "modes" for different curves and sensitivities for different things. Hmm, project time. :)

i7 7700K | 32GB RAM | GTX 1080Ti | Rift CV1 | TM Warthog | Win 10

"There will always be people with a false sense of entitlement.

You can want it, you can ask for it, but you don't automatically deserve it. "

Its not so complicated , you can do most of it in the game options.

Go to your control settings, add a modifier by clicking in the lower left on modifiers, then click on "add" on the right side under "switches" then choose your key and click ok. After you added a new modifier-switch go to your roll and pitch axis add another command for it and add your modifier and the axis from your stick (should look like "Joy_Y; space+Joy_Y" for example). After all that is done open your input file in C:\users\<yourname>\saved games\DCS\Config\Input\A10C\joystick and do what Svend already discribed custumize the code in the input file of your joystick in line 850 and 851 without changing the reformer after all that it should work.

Thanks! I will give it a try. I never messed around with adding modifiers before.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks! I will give it a try. I never messed around with adding modifiers before.

There is a section in the A-10C, and probably the BS2, GUI manual that explains how to set up modifiers. It has been a while since I looked at it but I believe it was fairly clear.

Well, I'm not there yet.

I added the modifier, then added it to the right side of the Modifier Panel under Switches & chose my button, clicked OK. So far so good.

I then went to the Roll & Pitch axes, cleared them & added my modifier & the axis from my stick. I got this "Joy BTN15 +Joy Y" & "Joy BTN15 +Joy X".

These are the lines in the input file:

{combos = {{key = "JOY_Y", reformers = {"JOY_BTN15", }, filter = {saturationX = 1, saturationY = 0.85, deadzone = 0.02, invert = false, slider = false, curvature = {0.15}}}, }, action = iCommandPlanePitch, name = "Pitch"},

{combos = {{key = "JOY_X", reformers = {"JOY_BTN15", }, filter = {saturationX = 1, saturationY = 1, deadzone = 0.02, invert = false, slider = false, curvature = {0.15}}}, }, action = iCommandPlaneRoll, name = "Roll"},

Somehow I don't think this is going to cut it. :cry_2:

I'm trashed, beddy bye for me! :sleep:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You are pretty much there. Now you just need to edit those two lines to change 'saturation' or whatever you wish. I noticed that your Y axis is changed to 85%. If that is your edit and that is the curve you want then it looks right.

If you look at the parameters in the filter section, they corespond to the various options you have in the 'Axis Tune' screen. If you want to visualize the changes then go into axis tune and adjust the curve the way you want your button to set it to. The write down the values for each parameter. Then click 'Cancel' so they don't get saved. Then use the number you wrote down to make your edits.

Hope that helps.

I see a problem there .. you cleared the axis before adding the second one with the modifier so you just have one command for it now .. but you must have two in the options it looks like Joy_y; JOY_BTN15+Joy_y for example. you have to have 2 commands for the axis one with and one without the modifier.

Edited by Kirk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Silly me, I thought he had just pasted in the two lines with the modifiers but the others still existed.:doh:

Right! missed that option. but can we combine a modifier with a function. like opening the refuel door or similar?

I can't check right now.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, i5 6600K, Geforce 980 GTX Ti, 32 GB Ram, Samsung EVO SSD.

I see a problem there .. you cleared the axis before adding the second one with the modifier so you just have one command for it now .. but you must have two in the options it looks like Joy_y; JOY_BTN15+Joy_y for example. you have to have 2 commands for the axis one with and one without the modifier.

You are 100% correct! I missed that part of your instructions :doh:, I had been at it awhile and was pretty tired. Thanks everyone for your help.

I got it working, but decided that having it activated by a momentary push button (on left throttle) isn't the best idea. So I did it exactly as Svend did, using a toggle switch tells one if it's activated or not.

I set it up in DCS Options using the APU switch (& moving the modifier to the switch box) and noticed a problem with that method. When in the reduced sensitivity mode the trim on the joystick hat button no longer works, switch back to normal mode and the trim works again.

One other problem I'm having.... I'm using the APU switch and when activated my keypad & Keyboard quit working! APU toggle switch blocking the keypad & keyboard when activated???

Also, whatever switch/button you use shows up red in the option screen if it has already been assigned previously, I guess that's normal because one changed that key binding into a modifier.

Anyone else seeing any of this?

Edited by CubPilot

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

it's quite normal since you have activated the modifier, so if you didn't set up trim and whatever functions you need with the modifier as well they wont be available to you.

since i only need this for refueling i added the trim, the speedbrake and the pinkie, but add what functions you need with the modifier.

The APU will turn red in options because it's now a modifier and therefor has a double binding. just clear it and click the APU with your mouse during startup.

One thing that i think won't work is the radio keys F1-F12. I will look in to this later but i don't think it's doable.

So my routine is: contact tanker. go to pre-contact position. call pre-contact and when the tanker accepts i flip the APU switch and from there on i dont need any other functions that the trim, which i hardly use anyway. after refueling i fall back from the tanker and deactivates the modifier and everything is back to normal.

hope this clears it up a little.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

it's quite normal since you have activated the modifier, so if you didn't set up trim and whatever functions you need with the modifier as well they wont be available to you.

since i only need this for refueling i added the trim, the speedbrake and the pinkie, but add what functions you need with the modifier.

The APU will turn red in options because it's now a modifier and therefor has a double binding. just clear it and click the APU with your mouse during startup.

One thing that i think won't work is the radio keys F1-F12. I will look in to this later but i don't think it's doable.

So my routine is: contact tanker. go to pre-contact position. call pre-contact and when the tanker accepts i flip the APU switch and from there on i dont need any other functions that the trim, which i hardly use anyway. after refueling i fall back from the tanker and deactivates the modifier and everything is back to normal.

hope this clears it up a little.

That works. After I posted it dawned on me that the APU binding was now a modifier, hence the red marking in Options.

I have a small desktop instrument panel with one of Leo's USB cards that still has some open connections for buttons. So I put the APU switch back to default and temporarily rigged up a switch attached to the lower right side of the throttle to activate the "Tanker" joy axes settings. By putting the activation switch on a different controller everything works now. The Trim, keypad , keyboard, F1 thru F12, etc. work in either mode, no more key binding conflicts & The APU switch is back to doing what it should do.

I might make the Fuel Panel & add the "Tanker" joy axes to that panel with an added switch, or rig it to activate when the Refuel Door is open. Easy to do with a DP microswitch which would close two switches at once, one for the door, the other for the "Tanker" joy mode.

Thanks for your find & help! :thumbup:

Do you have TrackIR?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You're quite welcome. :)

I have trackIr and it work like normal with the modifier pressed as well. -If that was your next question. ;)

btw. interesting find about the USB panel. I might try something similar.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nope, that wasn't really a question about the TrackIR other than if you had one. Mine works with either joy axes mode also.

I used to have my TIR center button on my keypad, but it wasn't the best place for it because I would need to shift my body forward a bit to use it & I had to look for it on the keypad which shifted my view a bit. So I moved it to the joystick pinky lever. That seems to be the optimal location for it (at least for me), I don't have to fumble around and look for a button, the lever is easy to find even blindfolded. I'm not sure if the pinky lever is still unused by the DCS World version or not, but I like the TIR there.

Maybe you saw my post (or maybe not) about setting this up so that TIR CENTER & PAUSE actions are on the same button, short press is CENTER, long press toggles PAUSE, similar to the setup of most of the other Warthog buttons. Check it out, it maybe something you can use. A small payment for your great find about the axes! :smilewink:

Thanks again! :beer:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

thanks man, i'll check it out.

i used to have a thing like this for countermeasures on my cougar, short press vs. long press would release two different programs on the same button, but of course it was done in foxy which is so much nicer than stupid t.a.r.g.e.t.

just writing t.a.r.g.e.t. seems a bit stupid. :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]