Syria shoots down Turkish F-4

lobo

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm all for clobbering Syria, but why are people surprised or upset that the Syrians defended themselves against foreign military intrusion? It seems to me that Turkey knew the risks involved when they sent an RF-4 to take pictures of Syria, and the gamble didn't pay off. So what?

It reminds me of those DB's here in the States that break into someone's home, then sues the owner when they get shot at, or injure themselves climbing in the window. Tough cookies, fella.

There are a hundred reasons to be pissed at the Syrian government, but protecting its airspace isn't one of them.

• Like 1

"They've got us surrounded again - those poor bastards!" - Lt. Col. Creighton Abrams

Sorry, from my position on the other side of the world, I couldn't possible have the faintest idea what did or didn't happen. But Syria claims to have shot it down and Turkey seems to believe them, so why would I choose to believe a different story?

It's an interesting position that a country concedes its sovereignty during times of internal conflict. I don't think that checks. It might be taken away from them by force, but it doesn't just go "poof" just because you say so.

"They've got us surrounded again - those poor bastards!" - Lt. Col. Creighton Abrams

RIP.

Assad says he regrets the incident 100% and that the situation must not deteriorate into open conflict. I think he got worried about getting clobbered after Turkey scrambled 6 F16s to deal with two helicopters approaching the border.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sorry, from my position on the other side of the world, I couldn't possible have the faintest idea what did or didn't happen. But Syria claims to have shot it down and Turkey seems to believe them, so why would I choose to believe a different story?

It's an interesting position that a country concedes its sovereignty during times of internal conflict. I don't think that checks. It might be taken away from them by force, but it doesn't just go "poof" just because you say so.

I think i took it that way because of all the desertion going on...you have pilots flying their planes and defecting to countries as it is.

When a country is in a civil war....the Air space belongs to no one..Another question you sure it was Syria....because mixed reports had it as a Russian ship that fired on it...

It belongs to the country and not to any foreigner.

DCS F16C 52+ w JHMCS ! DCS AH64D Longbow !

FINAL WARNING: NO MORE POLITICS.

Discuss things immediately relevant to the topic, or don't.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

FINAL WARNING: NO MORE POLITICS.

Discuss things immediately relevant to the topic, or don't.

Then you can close this topic because it's impossible to talk about Syria without involving politics :music_whistling:

Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.2Ghz, 8GB Kingston HyperX @1.6GHz, Ati Radeon HD7870 2GB GDDR5, 19' 1440x900 screen

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/Default.aspx?pageID=447&GalleryID=743&gpid=1

g_20524.jpg

g_20546.jpg

g_20553.jpg

g_20544.jpg

http://www.fresnobee.com/2012/07/05/2899270/bodies-of-turkish-pilots-recovered.html#

AP Photo - This photo taken Wednesday, July 4, 2012 and provided by the Turkish military, shows wreckage retrieved from the sea after a Turkish RF-4 Phantom jet which was shot down by Syrian forces June 22, 2012. Turkey says the plane was hit in international airspace, but Syria insists it was flying low inside Syrian airspace. The bodies of two Turkish pilots were recovered from the seabed on Thursday July 5, 2012 after U.S. ocean explorer Robert Ballard, best known for discovering the wreck of the Titanic, helped locate them nearly two weeks after their jet was shot down by Syria. A Turkish official said Ballard, aboard his deep-sea exploration vessel R/V Nautilus, found the bodies Wednesday 8.6 nautical miles off the Syrian coast after the Turkish navy had pinpointed the area.

Then you can close this topic because it's impossible to talk about Syria without involving politics :music_whistling:

That might very well be the case insofar as yourself is concerned, in which event you are not to take any further part in the thread. It however remains open for others who are able to comment on the topic by relating news and other relevant information objectively without resorting to political discussion, as the post following yours clearly illustrates.

As an aside, in future refrain from commenting on moderation policy within the thread concerned. If you have an issue, kindly take it up via PM with the moderator concerned, alternatively a Community Manager.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

AP Photo - This photo taken Wednesday, July 4, 2012 and provided by the Turkish military, shows wreckage retrieved from the sea after a Turkish RF-4 Phantom jet which was shot down by Syrian forces June 22, 2012. Turkey says the plane was hit in international airspace, but Syria insists it was flying low inside Syrian airspace. The bodies of two Turkish pilots were recovered from the seabed on Thursday July 5, 2012 after U.S. ocean explorer Robert Ballard, best known for discovering the wreck of the Titanic, helped locate them nearly two weeks after their jet was shot down by Syria. A Turkish official said Ballard, aboard his deep-sea exploration vessel R/V Nautilus, found the bodies Wednesday 8.6 nautical miles off the Syrian coast after the Turkish navy had pinpointed the area.

This report indicates that RF-4 was indeed inside Syrian terriorial waters / airspace. Territorial waters extend 12NM from the shore...

Another clue: as reports state it was shot by AAA and AFAIK range of todays AAA is 3-4NM, it was problably shore based AA so...

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Not always possible, depents on damage the A/C sustained, if pilots survived the strike.

yeah; there is a little part of the ejection seat on one of the pictures on the link; looks like they didn’t even got the chance to eject

• 1 year later...
Not any traces of gunpowder on the plane. One possibility is the aircraft crashed into the sea when the missile avoidance maneuvers. Therefore, the pilots did not leave the plane.

What are you referring to? Are there any recent news?

What are you referring to? Are there any recent news?

http://www.defenceturk.com/index.php/topic,77.msg40230.html#msg40230

Üst düzey bir yetkiliye göre çıkan parçalar üzerinde füze ya da uçaksavarla düşürüldüğüne dair bir bulguya rastlanamamış. Elde edilen bazı veriler, uçağın virile girerek (vida gibi dönerek) denize çakıldığına ilişkin ihtimali de düşündürüyor. Uçakla düşmeden önce radar ve telsizle kurulan iletişime ilişkin veriler de uçağın düşmeden önceki son dakikalarında rota açısından bir ‘anormallik’ olduğunu gösteriyor.

http://www.internethaber.com/f-4-turk-jeti-dusurulen-kesif-ucagi-suriye-karasulari-uluslararasi-sular--450498h.htm#ixzz237yLrGRs

Genelkurmay Askeri Savcılığı, 22 Haziran'da düşen uçağın kaza kırım raporunu açıkladı. Raporda teknik arıza bulgusunun olmadığı belirtilirken aynı zamanda uçakta uçaksavar mermisi hasarının da olmadığı vurgulandı.

FÜZE YAYINLARINDAN SİNYAL ALINDI

Aynı zamanda yapılan açıklamada, düşürülen askeri uçağın radar ikaz alıcısı kayıtlarında yapılan incelemede füze yayınlarından sinyal alındığının belirlendiği ifade edildi.

ANİ BİR DÖNÜŞTE İRTİFA KAYBETTİ

Savcılık uçağın uluslararası hava sahasında Suriye sınırına paralel 7 bin 400 feet irtifa, 30 knot süratte, 211 başta uçarken istikrarlı uçtuğu en son nokta olan 35.48.2 kuzey, 35.33.21 doğu koordinatında soldan ani bir dönüşte irtifa kaybederek Suriye kara kıtasına 8.6 deniz mili mesafede saat 11.57 C'de Suriye kara sularında 35.48.26 kuzey, 35.37.59 doğu koordinatında denize düştüğünün tespit edildiğini açıkladı.

http://www.ensonhaber.com/askeri-savciliktan-dusen-ucak-aciklamasi-2012-09-19.html