Can't get autonomous JTAC to work?

Purg

Unsure if this is the right place but I'll try anyway..

Trying to get mobile JTAC set up so that it can be moved in CA, spot enemy locations and call in strikes. Unfortunately, my JTAC is blind then he goes AWOL.

I set up a small mission where the JTAC is close to the first enemy vehicle and he seems to be able to see him since it comes up on the minimap but then advises he has no targets. After that, he is no longer contactable by radio even if I move him to the second location to spot another target.

Any advice on how to get this to work? Thanks.

Test JTAC.miz

Ok here goes ... the answer isn't a simple one so apologies in advance.

First you need to understand

A. The difference between Advanced Waypoint Actions (AWA) at a waypoint compared to a triggered action

B. The difference between PERFORM TASK & START ENROUTE TASK

so ..

A. Any actions that are placed at a waypoint (the units starting point even if NO route is added is considered waypoint 0) will only be executed (or added to a list of instructions/actions) at that waypoint. If you place your AWA in triggered actions (icon to the right of route & payload icons) these can take place at anytime but need to be told when to execute in your set rules for trigger (Switch looking icon left side of GUI).

B. Any PERFORM TASK action will override any other tasks/actions that were previously set, this includes a previous PERFORM TASK action. By override I mean other tasks that were being carried will immediately stop, the unit will execute the PERFORM TASK then go back to the task it was doing previously.

(The action diagram on page122 of the GUI manual describes this process).

Moving on to JTAC ...

1. If you just want a unit to act as a completely autonomous JTAC then in Advanced Waypoint Actions (AWA) do

START ENROUTE TASK -> FAC .The AI will prioritise targets and assign them accordingly. He will only do so when he has line of sight.

2. Using START ENROUTE TASK -> FAC Engage Group - This is the preferred method of assigning tasks to a JTAC/FAC. If you have multiple FAC Engage Group commands then each one will be added to a list. The JTAC will execute one and once it is satisfied that ALL of the units are DEAD it will move on down the list. (Note: ALL units must be killed so be careful when using this on large numbers of infantry, if just 1 is alive then it won't move on to the next target). If the visible checkbox is unticked then the JTAC will only assign targets it has LOS (Line of Sight) with. Ticking it will allow him to assign unseen targets but for these the JTAC will provide targeting data and send a datalink contact, but will not be able to designate the target.

3. Using PERFORM TASK -> FAC Assign Group. (Read B. above). For this the JTAC knows the postion of all targets assigned (i.e. does not need LOS). It is important to note that if you place 3 of these at a waypoint only 1 will execute since it will execute the first then the second immediately after and then the third. You will only notice it assigning you 1 target but it did try and assign you the others. Such is the nature of PERFORM TASK. The best use of this trigger is to place it in the AWA of triggered actions on a unit. Then in your set rules for trigger you select the Action AI TASK and select the desired unit triggered action from the drop down list. This is an example of how I would do it in my triggers :-

ONCE -> UNIT INSIDE ZONE(Player, targetAreaTrigger) -> AI TASK (JTAC_1/1. Assign group("FirstCOnvoy")

ONCE -> UNIT DEAD(armour1) & UNIT DEAD(AirDefence2) -> AI TASK (JTAC_1/1. Assign group("SecondCOnvoy")

First convoy contains 2 trucks, a tank and a AAA unit. We can leave the soft targets to our ground troops. So JTAC assigns the first convoy, when the armour unit and AAA are dead it will immediately start assigning the second convoy target since the second PERFORM TASK task is executed it overrides the first.

I rewrote your mission Purg and it is attached. Hope thats clear.

Test JTAC_2.miz

Edited by Druid_
spelling
  • Like 1

i7-7700K : 16Gb DDR4 2800 Mhz : Asus Mobo : 2TB HDD : Intel 520 SSD 240gb : RTX 2080ti: Win10 64pro : Dx10 : TrackiR4 : TM Warthog : ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q

• 3 weeks later...

Wow thanks Druid, that makes many months confusion allot easier... although if i can also ask if possible to give similar example if not the same but with "drone" or air support ?? i have tried this and works fine for ground afac but using drone is another tricky one i cant get my head round --

Im simply setting a trigger zone and on entering zone want drone to call out to me target in sight etc.. at most all i can get is JTAC available in menu but no callout or warning and this still doesnt work as no response after contacting jtac ... any help would be great .. thanks for all the info tho :)

JTAC will not transmit targets to you automatically. In that I mean that you must check-in with him first on whatever frequency you have allocated to him. You can set a trigger and do action message "targets available, contact JTAC axe,an on 35.0 am" though.

Setting up a drone is easier since the frequency is already displayed so you don't have to set an advanced waypoint option 'set frquency' or callsign for that matter. The rest is the same as for a ground FAC.

i7-7700K : 16Gb DDR4 2800 Mhz : Asus Mobo : 2TB HDD : Intel 520 SSD 240gb : RTX 2080ti: Win10 64pro : Dx10 : TrackiR4 : TM Warthog : ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q

• 2 weeks later...
1. If you just want a unit to act as a completely autonomous JTAC then in Advanced Waypoint Actions (AWA) do

START ENROUTE TASK -> FAC .The AI will prioritise targets and assign them accordingly. He will only do so when he has line of sight.

I just can't get this to work. I THINK I did as you said but my JTAC just says "No further tasking..." even though he has a enemy truck right next to him... Appreciate any help!

JTAC.miz

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

There will always be bugs. If everything is a priority nothing is.

Hi Guys ....

Well i have been trying many different ways over the last year and not sure if this is the "correct" way but Works for me on all my own levels i build - have attached a remake of the original also added "invisible"

For Ground JTAC i use "Perform Task" for drone or Air JTAC should automatically be in there already then you can also use "Perform Task - FAC assign Group- as found Drone does not always pickup 3 Infantry alone putting a ied on a road (for example) not so good on infantry only seems to miss them - but these are my own findings so some may be wrong but give it a try and let me know if need any other info i could try help :)

JTAC.miz

• 2 weeks later...
I just can't get this to work. I THINK I did as you said but my JTAC just says "No further tasking..." even though he has a enemy truck right next to him... Appreciate any help!

Ok sorry for taking so long to get back. I do think that its a bug. Your mission should work. I set him to move and he started working and again stopped working when he stopped. I'll look at it some more and see if I can narrow down the problem before I report it.

I just had this been playing with AFAC and JTAC.

Apart from a slight trigger mishap that sent my AFAC drone back to base whilst he was relaying a target to me... my JTAC (used a LAV25) reported all targets destroyed despite being sat on top a Shilka (which happened to be trying to remove the A10 I was in).

I can upload the mission if it helps?

Baring that this thread most helpful for getting the JTAC/AFAC working! :pilotfly:

In DCSW 1.2.0, if the JTAC has reached its last waypoint (and this includes a static unit as it is already at its last waypoint, i.e. WP 0) it will stop executing any enroute tasks. A way around this is to place a HOLD action at WP 0 then add another waypoint a small distance away. He won't go there as he is held at WP 0 but at least he will still execute any FAC actions you set at WP 0.

(This problem has been changed in the testers build and will hopefully make the next patch).

• 1 month later...

In my testing this problem has been fixed in the latest 1.2.1 autoupdate. I.e JTACs no longer need another waypoint to operate correctly.

EDIT: as of 1.2.1.6700 it no longer works. You will need to place a WP1 after WP0 on a JTAC and place a HOLD action at WP0 for him to work correctly.

Edited by Druid_
  • Like 1